Pike Creek

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back from its last appearance in the 90's, this was part of a trio released by Corby in Canada. Lot No. 40 and Gooderham & Worts were the other two. Lot No. 40 has just re-appeared as well, thus two out of the three releases are being given a come-back.

As with Lot 40, Pike Creek, a 10 year old whisky, is (IMO) a better whisky than the first time around. It tastes like a regular well-aged Canadian but the port finishing is very well executed resulting in a fruity and softly smooth palate. Fruit, wood, ethanol and light whisky spice all combine to a pleasing taste, on the light side but very well executed again.

It needs neat drinking to really appreciate it, ditto Proof reviewed earlier.

Gary

IMO, Lot no 40 is by far the better of the two. Pike Creek, like most other Canadian whiskies, is under-powered, thin, and mild flavored. Both are priced at $40 here in Canada. I think the Lot 40 is worth the $40, the PC is not better than other $30-32 options already on the market. As a result, it will probably suffer the same fate as the 90's version.

(I've stocked up on the Lot 40 in case it too disappears.)

In terms of pricing I agree. But I like the Pike Creek too, it's a very nice palate and much better I thought than that Forty Creek that was aged or finished in port barrels, more stylish.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.