Cider!!!!

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cider is now the biggest mover in the alcohol segment.

The biggest seller is Woodchuck.

Woodchuck can't keep up with demand, they bottle it, package it, palletize it and then it goes on a truck.

An Irish company just bought them for over 300 million dollars. (another American company selling out to the Euros because the profit margin is only in the millions).

In the United Kingdom cider has about a 15% share of the beer market.

No one thinks that it will grow that big in the USA but even a small market share in the USA is super big bucks.

Crispin and Fox Barrel are also selling like there is no tomorrow in certain areas.

Some of the Crispin sells for about 50 bucks a case, that's 50 bucks wholesale for 12 22oz bottles.

I'd say that's a heck of a mark up, but again not enough for today's American business community.

OK Ladies and germs, have you ever drank any of this stuff?

Cider and rum were the drink of choice (because choice was limited) in the 1700's and early 1800's.

I have had some of the Crispin and I see why America switched to Irish whiskey.

Woodchuck is alright in my opinion. I like the 802 the best along with the one special release they aged in used bourbon barrels. But even those two are sweet to the point that I can only drink one or two of them.

I've also tried Crispin but didn't care for it as much as Woodchuck.

I picked up some Angry Orchard the other night, mostly because I like a good amber cider. This was not that! Tasted like the apple juice we give my youngest.

I like Woodchuck Amber, but the granny smith is too tart for me. Not sure I've tried the 802. I like it for a change of pace, especially around this time of year, but certainly not an often consumed beverage for me.

I like cider, I've tried many of them including the Woodchuck pumpkin cider. Not recommend.

We have Argus Cidery here in the Austin area. TOTALLY GREAT. Really recommend the Bandera Brut if you can get your hands on one.

Making your own is SO EASY. 5 gallons apple juice, a yeast of your choice, and some fermentable sugar. I usually use the priming sugar from the homebrew store.

I like cider, I've tried many of them including the Woodchuck pumpkin cider. Not recommend.

We have Argus Cidery here in the Austin area. TOTALLY GREAT. Really recommend the Bandera Brut if you can get your hands on one.

Making your own is SO EASY. 5 gallons apple juice, a yeast of your choice, and some fermentable sugar. I usually use the priming sugar from the homebrew store.

I also tried the Woodchuck pumpkin and was underwhelmed. Although the seasonal Fall version isn't too bad. Interesting if you like to drink cider warm. A bit like drinking an apple pie but pretty sweet.

I got to liking Savanna Dry cider from South Africa when traveling there. Fairly dry and easy drinking but not necessarily a must have bottle. Easy enough to find in the southern end of Africa but it is hard to find here in the States and if you do pretty expensive. Probably more than it is worth really except for the novelty and nostalgia of it.

I got to liking Savanna Dry cider from South Africa when traveling there. Fairly dry and easy drinking but not necessarily a must have bottle. Easy enough to find in the southern end of Africa but it is hard to find here in the States and if you do pretty expensive. Probably more than it is worth really except for the novelty and nostalgia of it.

I was getting ready to comment on the availability of cider in Southern Africa and I can't believe someone beat me to it (in less than 5 replies no less!). Savanna is very good in my opinion and we always have a 6er in the fridge. It is most similar to Strongbow in my opinion. The beer market in Swaziland is quite dismal (SA is a bit better), but there are actually a huge selection of ciders. Savanna, Hunter's and Redds all have several iterations and you can often find Strongbow and a few other British imports.

On a hot day, a good dry cider is super refreshing.

I was getting ready to comment on the availability of cider in Southern Africa and I can't believe someone beat me to it (in less than 5 replies no less!). Savanna is very good in my opinion and we always have a 6er in the fridge. It is most similar to Strongbow in my opinion. The beer market in Swaziland is quite dismal (SA is a bit better), but there are actually a huge selection of ciders. Savanna, Hunter's and Redds all have several iterations and you can often find Strongbow and a few other British imports.

On a hot day, a good dry cider is super refreshing.

Yes, Savanna Dry does have some similarity to Strongbow although I tried Strongbow as a replacement for Savanna Dry and found I liked the Savanna better.

I did try both Redd's Premium and Dry as well as Hunter's Gold, Dry and Lemon during my occasional travels (been a couple of years now since my last trip to Africa though). Generally preferred the Hunter's Dry version. Only occasionally saw the Hunter's Lemon and the couple of times I tried that it seemed pretty good (admittedly I am a fan of lemon flavored things including Fentiman's Shandy's). I know there is a Hunter's Export but never seen either brand here in the States.

Interestingly SABMiller, who owns Redd's, is apparently making a Redd's Apple "Ale" (a grain based beverage that is apple flavored, Yeah, that was my first thought too) just down the road in "All-Bennie", Georgia (that's Albany for those of you not native to the south...) which was recently reviewed on the Thirsty South blog of SB member Biskuit. I don't recall having seen it myself but I also haven't looked very hard!

My favorite is JK Scrumpy, which is from Michigan. Lots of ciders are too dry and there is a cardboard taste to them, but JK's is just like biting into an apple. A fresh tasty alcoholic apple!

I like cider quite a bit, although my consumption isn't huge. The new Woodchuck seasonal mentioned above is indeed interesting, but I normally go for the amber or dry variations. A good cider is one of my favorite things to go with a big hearty sandwich, especially this time of year ( leftover turkey, anyone?). There is a cider from the Charlottesville, Virginia area that a friend of mine picked up and shared that was pretty good, but I don't recall the name.

When I lived in England I had several friends who drank nothing but cider and these boys could drink. I went toe-to-toe with them one evening, foregoing my usual drink of choice (ale) for Woodpecker cider and when my hangover subsided nearly two days later I realized why the brand is so aptly named. I can attest to the fact that a very large woodpecker was trapped inside my head and was desperately fighting to peck his way out. There was absolutely no getting around the colossal headache I got from drinking all that cider and I'm guessing it is the high volume of sugar that had something to do with it. My English wife, however, assures me that I'm simply a pussy and that nothing is more glorious than a tall pint of Woodpecker, Bulmers or Strongbow cider on a warm day. To each his own, I guess.

Edited by unclebunk

When I lived in England I had several friends who drank nothing but cider and these boys could drink. I went toe-to-toe with them one evening, foregoing my usual drink of choice (ale) for Woodpecker cider and when my hangover subsided nearly two days later I realized why the brand isso aptly named. I can attest to the fact that a very large woodpecker was trapped inside my head and was desperately fighting to peck his way out. There was absolutely no getting around the colossal headache I got from drinking all that cider and I'm guessing it is the high volume of sugar that had something to do with it. My English wife, however, assures me that I'm simply a pussy and that nothing is more glorious than a tall pint of Woodpecker, Bulmers or Strongbow cider on a warm day. To each his own, I guess.

Strongbow cider... in 2-liter (used to be 3-liter) bottles at the supermarket for around $5.

*sigh* they sure do some things right over in the UK... :grin:

Edited by Kalessin

This thread inspired me to pick up some Strongbow after work and it is darn good.

I've avoided ciders in the past since they were overly sweet, but this is superbly dry.

I like dryer cider, and find the ciders from Etienne (they also brew Dupont Saison I think) to have that nice crisp apple flavor without the residual sugar and a nice level of funky, barnyard action going on. It tastes less like apple juice and more like Lambic, which IMO is a great thing. Too bad they are so expensive though.

Of the sweeter ciders, JK is definitely my pick if you can find it. I have friends who really like Doc's Cassis Cider, but that also just tastes like a wine cooler to me.

I like dryer cider, and find the ciders from Etienne (they also brew Dupont Saison I think) to have that nice crisp apple flavor without the residual sugar and a nice level of funky, barnyard action going on. It tastes less like apple juice and more like Lambic, which IMO is a great thing. Too bad they are so expensive though.

Of the sweeter ciders, JK is definitely my pick if you can find it. I have friends who really like Doc's Cassis Cider, but that also just tastes like a wine cooler to me.

For those who do occasionally like apple on the sweeter side but want to avoid that wine cooler caché you might find Pommeau de Normandie interesting as an alternative to sweet cider. Makes a great dessert beverage with an apple flair. Basically apple juice mixed with young apple brandy that is then allowed to barrel age together for a period of time. It is Pineau des Charentes' country cousin fresh from the apple orchard.

Definitely sweet but also definitely delightful!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.