Goldrun California Rye

mopgcw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't tried it (or even seen it for sale) but what little information I could find online suggests that it's made from 100% rye, and aged in small barrels for about a year. I'm not one to turn my back on the chance to try a new whiskey, but nothing I've learned about Gold Run encourages me to spend nearly $40 on a 375 ml bottle.

I think Old Potrero Straight Rye is also made from 100% (malted) rye. Not that the two whiskies are equivalent but I don't care for the Old Potrero. Mop -- have you tried the Old Potrero, and can you make any comparison between it and the Gold Run? Either way, I'd be interested in hearing your tasting notes on the Gold Run.

Edited by MrAtomic

I haven't tried it (or even seen it for sale) but what little information I could find online suggests that it's made from 100% rye, and aged in small barrels for about a year. I'm not one to turn my back on the chance to try a new whiskey, but nothing I've learned about Gold Run encourages me to spend nearly $40 on a 375 ml bottle.

I think Old Potrero Straight Rye is also made from 100% (malted) rye. Not that the two whiskies are equivalent but I don't care for the Old Potrero. Mop -- have you tried the Old Potrero, and can you make any comparison between it and the Gold Run? Either way, I'd be interested in hearing your tasting notes on the Gold Run.

nice pointer, i have not tried the old potrero so it would be interesting to see how that compares. the sweetness maybe the issue.

the goldrun is relatively expensive, but then again, not mass produced by any stretch.

will give some more thought to the goldrun, tonight.

thanks

George

Old World Spirits has produced some spirits that have been reasonably well regarded such as their Kuchan Peach Brandy and Rusty Blade Barrel Aged Gin (I have had both but only had the regular proof barrel aged gin rather than the barrel proof stuff) so they seem to know a bit about distilling. But it is a small operation and the products do tend to be spendy!

The one review on K&L (by a K&L staffer mind you) does draw a comparison to Old Potrero.

Edited by tanstaafl2

If it tastes like Old Potrero, I won't even look at it.

In a blind tasting of 3 rye whiskies, all 6 tasters

thought Old Potrero was terrible

it is spendy indeed, and maybe that is part of my pause. had a couple more drams the other nite, and it is very smooth and quiet upfront, with heat, aromatics and flavor in the back, long nice finish. the sweetness is definitely there and so is the rye, but super smooth. i keep drinking it...

It tastes like sucking on a popsicle stick. My friend who gave me the bottle didn't like it either. At worst he paid wholesale, but I hope it was a sample from his distributor.

It tastes like sucking on a popsicle stick. My friend who gave me the bottle didn't like it either. At worst he paid wholesale, but I hope it was a sample from his distributor.

Just saying "sucking on a popsicle stick" provokes the chalk on blackboard response...for some reason they produce similar skin crawl effects.

Will stay away from this one.

Had a good week in SF this summer and was able to try a handful of these smaller distillery Ryes from the Bay Area. Gold Run was the first of the bunch, they had it on hand at 15 Romolo in San Fran. Also found some Old Potrero Straight Rye, some Aged 1512 100% Rye, and some Whistle Pig Rye, probably in that order. The Whistle Pig isnt really the same creature, as it was a bit more aged, sourced from a larger distillery and tasted like a Michter's or Jeffersons maybe, but a higher price point that didnt warrant a follow up. But as for the other three that were small batch distilleries, the 1512 Aged was about the only one that I really enjoyed. But kinda thinking this might be akin to the rum/agricole experience.

In as I was really accustomed to how an aged spirit tastes, and the grassy bright characteristics of a younger version was a bit off putting at first. These three were so rye forward that it was so similar to almost a sharp rye bread, and the nose didnt lessen the association and it took a bit of searching to get settled in. Did try and source a bottle of 1512 online later and it was not the same release. Received the 1512 Barbershop but unaged, and it had the peppery malted rye brightness that the other two exhibited, giving credence to barrel aging, even minimal. Think the Aged 1512 is probably unattainable at the moment due to it being a small pot still product as well.

One that I have really found enjoyable and attainable has been the Delaware Phoenix Distillery Rye Whiskey, its 100% Pot distilled but aged less than 12 months in new charred oak barrels. Nose is really rye bread, grass, and grain. Taste is rye and somehow copper. Not sure if its the suggestion from the still on the bottle, but it has this mineral/metallic mixed with a grassy malted rye that I cant put a finger on but keeps me entertained.

From my conversations with other whiskey producers, there is such a thing as too long in a barrel. Have heard stories of rejected batches due to over aging even before a 10 year mark and as for wines, oaking can often serve to cover a less than remarkable wine. Think its a good trait to be able to produce a quality spirit through a mash bill and distillation techniques and some minimal barrel time.

• 7 months later...

Stumbled across a bottle of this today rather unexpectedly. Didn't think it was the kind of thing that would make it to Georgia. At $55 for a 750ml of young 90 proof rye it is certainly pricey. The description on the bottle made specific mention of being like eating fresh rye bread. Given that I rather like Old Potrero this one has me intrigued. It is also at a new store I am checking out (picked up a bottle of A'bunadh, batch 41 because that batch had been recommended and it was the only place I had seen it) so buying a bottle of the Goldrun, which probably isn't a big seller, might also help me start building a relationship there!

post-8493-14489819378876_thumb.jpg

Will have to give it some thought.

Gotta admit, they've got the gimmickry approach down pat.

Every now and again gimmickry can be tasty! The Millstone 100 rye from the Netherlands reminded me of that once again.

Yeah but Millstone is fully aged.

True enough! Can't argue with that.

I suppose it is dependent on the taste buds of the individuals palate to some degree. Having been one of those odd people that likes JD rye, Potrero, Jacobs Ghost, Poitin and the like I suppose I am more willing to experiment. Besdies I am spending my kids college fund to support my habit so the occasional risky purchase is something I don't mind!

Edited by tanstaafl2

At least the money's not being wasted.

Yep! Especially since I don't have any kids (that I'll admit to...).

:rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.