Russell's Reserve New barrel proof version

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whiskey tasting is an imperfect science. Two knowledgable whiskey drinkers drink the same whiskey. One thinks it's great, the other thinks it's terrible, and they're both right. I know that infuriates people who want absolute answers, but it doesn't work that way. Vive la difference!

It's all going to hell, and Jimmy knows it. He knows that a SB needs an age statement and should be unfiltered. Trouble is, the Suits don't know and don't care. They look at the bottom line. I don't see how the bottom line will be enhanced in this case. Maybe one of these days someone will get it right and make tons of money.

Joe :usflag:

Funny how WTRB is 'barrel proof' at 108.2, but RRSB is 110.

I believe the new batch of WTRB is 111.1 proof according to the COLA.

Funny how WTRB is 'barrel proof' at 108.2, but RRSB is 110.

I assumed that was due to comparitively little 12 year in the mix verses more of the younger 6 and 8 year juice in RB.

Are you saying you think there's something nefarious going on? That RRSB ain't 10 years old?

It's all going to hell, and Jimmy knows it. He knows that a SB needs an age statement and should be unfiltered. Trouble is, the Suits don't know and don't care. They look at the bottom line. I don't see how the bottom line will be enhanced in this case. Maybe one of these days someone will get it right and make tons of money.

Joe :usflag:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying the WTRB single barrel tonight. It's labeled at barrel proof at 108.2*. I bought it from the gift shop, and Mr. Russell was in the shop. I asked about barrel proof being so low, and he responded that WT has always barreled at the lowest proofs for better flavor. He was busy, so I didn't push him on it as the setting was inappropriate.

As for the drink itself, it's qunitessential WT in my mind. This would normally seem like a negative review, but it tastes like a higher proof whiskey. However, it's rounded in a way that you feel a punch without a burn. I would say it's worth a try for either an old or a new Turkey fan.

I'm trying the WTRB single barrel tonight. It's labeled at barrel proof at 108.2*. I bought it from the gift shop, and Mr. Russell was in the shop. I asked about barrel proof being so low, and he responded that WT has always barreled at the lowest proofs for better flavor. He was busy, so I didn't push him on it as the setting was inappropriate.

As for the drink itself, it's qunitessential WT in my mind. This would normally seem like a negative review, but it tastes like a higher proof whiskey. However, it's rounded in a way that you feel a punch without a burn. I would say it's worth a try for either an old or a new Turkey fan.

Bourbon Boiler, You talking Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve? Classy move to let Jimmy be...just wonderful that he continues to be involved.

My wife and I were at WT the end of December, and when I asked our tour guide this question all he said was "sometime later next year". Not a very concise answer, but this same guide didn't know what non-chill filtered meant either

Well, their tour guides have nothing to worry about in terms of future employment. From the sounds of it, they are more than qualified to work in any number of liquor stores I've visited in the state of Tenneessee...lol

Edited by Old Lamplighter

Bourbon Boiler, You talking Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve? Classy move to let Jimmy be...just wonderful that he continues to be involved.

Rare Breed. Picked it up at the distillery about 4 weeks ago.

According to Robin Coupar, who is senior brand manager for Wild Turkey, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel should be showing up in stores now. It's 110° proof but they are not calling that barrel proof. It should go for about $50 a bottle. More here.

^ That's good news. I tried this last month, and found it to be a fine bourbon. Looking forward to adding this one to the rotation.

So they're increasing the proof by 20, decreasing the age 1-2 years, and charging double?

I'm now less excited about this. I've always tried to keep a bottle of RR, since it is my favorite bourbon in the WT lineup and a good deal (10 y/o age stated for $20-25 is really something only HH can beat with EC12). I'm sure this is good whiskey, but at this price, I see no reason to get a bottle.

So they're increasing the proof by 20, decreasing the age 1-2 years, and charging double?

I'm now less excited about this. I've always tried to keep a bottle of RR, since it is my favorite bourbon in the WT lineup and a good deal (10 y/o age stated for $20-25 is really something only HH can beat with EC12). I'm sure this is good whiskey, but at this price, I see no reason to get a bottle.

Extra age doesn't always equal better. From previous praise and what Chuck said, it sounds like the RRSB juice is plucked from WT's "honey barrels." I'm looking forward to picking up a bottle.

Extra age doesn't always equal better. From previous praise and what Chuck said, it sounds like the RRSB juice is plucked from WT's "honey barrels." I'm looking forward to picking up a bottle.

I'm definitely planning on getting at least one bottle, and if it lives up to its promise probably buying unnecessarily as I can swing it to build up a stock. Why? Because I miss WT 101 12-year-old. If this is even half as good as that was, I will take the lesson I learned from not bunkering 12YO and apply it.

I'm definitely planning on getting at least one bottle, and if it lives up to its promise probably buying unnecessarily as I can swing it to build up a stock. Why? Because I miss WT 101 12-year-old. If this is even half as good as that was, I will take the lesson I learned from not bunkering 12YO and apply it.

It's more similar to the current export WT 8/101 than the 12/101, but it's still a damn solid pour. It's my favorite current WT label.

I also need to try a bottle of this. Maybe I can get my Wild Turkey love going, again. It was my favorite label for a long, long time.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.