Pappy Van Winkle 23-Year

spinningrecords
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

wow, whiskey has bottle codes! im used to chasing box codes for cigars....do you guys use the term slippery slope here? haha

nice score. i had a chance at a bottle of the 23 year a few weeks ago, but bought a 20 instead. i dont know its code or anything but it was $249. nice score!

P.S. Are there any FL members that have experienced similar situations?

Can't speak for FL's demand in particular, but that shop is charging nearly double the already high MSRP for PVW20. That seems to be a common problem throughout the country this year. Don't buy it, you can get so much other good whiskey for that money and hopefully before next year find a shop that has a little more respect for their customers and might be able to help you find some PVW at a more reasonable price.

Living in Florida, I can give you a good idea of what is going on down here. Apparently ABC Fine Wine and Spirits managed to buy up almost all of the Van Winkle of all types coming into the state. Instead of pushing it out to the stores, they decided to hold a lottery over the next 12 months to distribute it evenly. They are charging actual retail for every bottle sold. The lottery is legit. I know because my wife actually won the opportunity to purchase a bottle of PVW 23 at about $229 + tax.

Have you had the 15 this year? Its supposed to be all BT juice and if that is any indication of how the rest of the Pappy line will shape up, I think we will be fine. :D

I take it you have never tried the Pappy 15 bottled on or before 2009?

That would be correct. :( Wanna send me dram?! :D

• 2 months later...
Today I picked up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23-year for the relatively reasonable price of $219. I found it interesting that it has a bottle code from 2008 (K21108xx:xx) on it. I check my other bottles of the same label and the newest is K04209. Albeit my purchases are a limited sample, it makes me wonder if any 23-year product has been bottled in the past three years. Even the special edition 23-year came out in 2009. The year 2009 minus a minimum of 23 years is 1986 and not surprisingly putting it squarely in the camp of Stitzel-Weller distillate. It seems to me that it's quite possible all of the SW juice might already be bottled and it is being allocated slowly until the age of Weller mash bill juice fits the label. That's my observation anyway based on what I know.

The bottle of 23yo that I picked up a couple weeks ago from the fall 2012 release is also is from '08 (K21208xx-xx). Also, one of my 20yo purchased this year was from '11 (M28111xx:xx)

When I see the title of this thread, it makes me feel dead inside. Anyone else?

I just can't take another thread about this.

post-9014-14489818645128_thumb.jpg

I'm not really Pappy'd out myself, but here's something for those of you who are.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.