Scotch price increases!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was at a local store today and the Price of Macallan Cask strength SMS went from 63.00 to 83.00. that has to be a record around here!

Thomas

Forget that. I like it well enough, but not that well.

Pretty soon, the Scotch guys are going to cut their own throats. If it wasn't for the price of Scotch 3-4 years ago, I might never have given Bourbon too much thought. As it is, I rarely purchase Scotch anymore. All I can figure is, there must be enough six figure salaries around to keep the single malt flowing. I'm sure out of the game.

Edited by ebo

I pick up bottles mostly when on sale. Have bottles from about half the distilleries in Scotland!

Thomas

Macallan Cask strength made the same price jump here in Vermont recently. Laphroaig 18yr has been pretty consistently priced around $85, but I saw one in MA last week for $125. With price jumps like that and a shaky economy, it's going to be the 80's all over again for the scotch industry before long.

With price jumps like that and a shaky economy, it's going to be the 80's all over again for the scotch industry before long.

I was standing in my local the other day and calculated I could buy four bottles of 86 proof Barton for the price of one bottle of an 80 proof Balvenie expression that we used to buy regularly, but decided it wasn't four times better than the Barton.

I too have noticed scotch prices going up here in Lexington, KY. I thought it was just an isolated thing. I've seen Laphroaig 10yr go up a few bucks and I noticed the entire Balvenie line all go up quite a bit. I've never been a big fan of any of The Balvenie expressions but the price jump was enough for me to notice.

It's crazy these days. I find myself standing there considering high end bourbons in the $60-$70 range, right next to standard issue scotches that are only $5-$10 cheaper. Forget everyday pours, it's almost not possible for me to have a scotch in that category at all times. Plenty of $30 bourbons I can (and do) happily drink regularly.

I just bought a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength a couple months ago for around $63 at a BevMo in Santa Clara, California. I went back a week later and they were all sold out (in fact none of the nearby BevMos had bottles either). Why are other parts of the country so expensive?

I guess the price increases hasn't reached Atlanta yet. Was looking for something else but noted that the Macallan CS was $56.99

• 1 month later...

Scotch whisky prices seem to follow some inverse function where the only direction they can go is up.

I think it is driven by the fashion for single malts. One can still buy carefully and get good values though, e.g. the Glenlivet 15 year old French Oak Reserve is excellent and is half or less than many malts not as good. One has to spend more carefully, that's all. Bourbon is partly going that route but there are more lower cost options available. Perhaps one can argue that 15 and more years ago, premium Scotch whiskies were underpriced; the opposite is the case now IMO.

Gary

If the US would switch to 700 mL bottles, we'd see a much better Scotch selection, and at better prices. In fact, one would think that would even help the US whiskey companies in terms of product availability.

My Scotch buying has almost come to a complete halt. I came to Bourbon because Scotch was getting out of hand, pricewise. I see the same thing starting to happen with Bourbon.

Maybe I'll just become strictly a beer drinker. Nah! :grin:

I never thought this would happen, but I'm finding that I would rather drink Bourbon over Scotch, now. I will always love Scotch and have a few bottles on hand, but.....................

The latest increase here is Aberlour 12 up 7.00 to 43.00+and Laiphroig up 3.00 to 49.00+. Laiphroig has gone up almost 12.00/750 in the last year!

Thomas

The latest increase here is Aberlour 12 up 7.00 to 43.00+and Laiphroig up 3.00 to 49.00+. Laiphroig has gone up almost 12.00/750 in the last year!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.