Van Winkle in the NY Post

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John Hansell clarified what is in the current bottles (2012) in his blog. Check out the comments for the article because there are some clarifications about the 2012 PVW 23 from Chuck C. and John.

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/page/4/

Personally, I agree that the profile has changed a bit the last few years. But having switched juice sources and produced a blend of multiple sources, I think Julian did a great job in keeping a similar profile. Comparing PVW 15 2011 to PVW 15 2009 I notice a bit more heat on the nose and first taste which I generally notice on the Wellers. But still, reguardless of the hype, change of sources, blending, etc., I think they are still great whiskeys.

Would I pay more for 2012 PVW 15 than a William Larue Weller, probably not. But, I have some of each in the bunker. If I had never had one, would I pay outrageous prices to see what all the hype is about and get one. Yeah, I admit I probably would. I certainly passed on the PVW 20s for $170 that Total Wine was trying to sell here. I did pick up a few Pappys at MSRP other places.

a) I like Anthony Bourdain, the recent Anthony is more laid back and not as condescending as the old Anthony. Both Anthony and Andrew Zimmern are willing to make fun of themselves which may them both cool guys in my book.

B) So what is the 2012 Pappy 20? I remember there was lots of discussion of when the SW would end. The 2012 Pappy is really very great, but ... I'm sipping 2012 next to 2011 and 2007, and the 2012 seems different. Granted, IMO open bottles change, but this new 2012 seems a good bit different on nose and taste and after. I broke out a 2011 WLW and even more confused. Uh, Chuck, what do ya know?

edit to add: I'm knee deep, well waist deep, ... uh well chest deep into the 2012 and 2011. I'll have to revisit these a lot more. Too bad I've only one bottle of the 2012. Though my experience with SW is limited, seems like SW to me. Got to say there may be a lot of media hype, but 2012 is a very good whiskey. There are a lot of similarities with the 2011, but maybe I like the 2012 better?

John Hansell clarified what is in the current bottles (2012) in his blog. Check out the comments for the article because there are some clarifications about the 2012 PVW 23 from Chuck C. and John. http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/page/4/

OMG! I actually can taste correctly in a blind taste test of premiums, and I thought my palate was shot! Thanks for the post!!!!!

That post raised my esteem for Julian even further. He's a class act all the way around. And he does consistently put out a super quality product. Every Julian product I've had either meets or exceeds expectations and I look forward to more.

Oh, I expect Van Winkle will be around for awhile yet. Unlike some others (Hirsch) the brand doesn't depend on the surviving stock of a closed distillery, rather on the Van Winkles themselves and they have already laid the foundation for their future.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.