Heaven Hill, Bardstown on a Sunday

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm planning a rather serious trip in August to visit as many distilleries as possible, but it appears as though we'll be in Bardstown on a sunday. Apparently Heaven Hill is closed on Sundays. If we bang on a back door do you think anyone will let us in? Is it worth visiting the grounds or are they all locked up? Anyone want to trade a tour for some organic quebec maple syrup? cheers

Maker's Mark is open on Sunday. It is 19 miles or thereabouts south of Bardstown. Check out their web site for details. Note, you can't dip a bottle on Sundays (no liquor sales on Sunday in KY.)

Note, you can't dip a bottle on Sundays (no liquor sales on Sunday in KY.)

And they are serious about that Sunday thing! When me Stacy Chris and Kristin were down last year we happened across a liquor barn somewhere near Louisville. Seeing as how the next day, and rest of the trip we would be in Bardstown, we wanted to go inside just to see what they had in the way of bourbon in order to know if we would need to drive back. When we got inside they had curtains pulled all around the hard liquor so you couldn't even see inside! So I asked and explained to one of the girls "Could we look inside and see what bourbon you have because we just want to know if it will be worth out time to drive back tomorrow morning from Bardstown if you have stuff we need." She was taken by this as if I had committed a cardinal sin or something wanting to look at it on a Sunday haha! Needless to say I finally got a 'peek' inside anyway and we were back bright and early the nest day! lol.gif

Yep, that's how I learned about no liquor on Sunday last July. I waltzed into Liquor Barn and saw the curtains. I thought they were doing remodeling. I started to stroll around the curtains and was immediately stopped by a clerk. ooo.gif

IMHO we have very silly laws in this part of the world. For example, we were careful to pick a hotel in Lexington. If you get north of Lexington it is a "semi-dry" county. That means a few restaurants (mostly the chains) sell beer and booze but no pubs. In my home state an on-premise consumption place (restaurant, bar, pub) must have a certain percent of its business be food in order to sell for consumption on Sunday. However, you cannot buy a bottle for carry out on Sunday.

Here bars must close at 2:30 AM. Yet, while few do this, they can re-open at 6:30 AM.

It seems like such paranoia to have to go to those extremes... Ok, so you cannot buy on Sunday, but closing off that whole section so it cannot be seen and having store 'security'/clerks watch people near it seems WAY over the top. horseshit.gif

Further to the sunday thing, I contacted Labrot and Graham to ask if I could purchase a special Kentucky Derby bottling of their Woodford on a Saturday, have it put aside, and simply pick it up on Sunday. The reply was a resounding NO, can't even do that. It seems they even have to remove all liquor stock from their giftshop so that it's not even showing on a Sunday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.