Armagnac recommendations?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been interested in Armagnac for awhile and Ralfy's recent reviews have brought it to mind again.

This article provides some general info - http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/wine/sommelier/armagnac.htm

Can anyone recommend a "reasonable" i.e. $35-60 bottle of Armagnac?

For example, Binnys lists:

Delord Napoleon 10 Year Old Armagnac 34.99

Cerbois VSOP Armagnac 49.99

Marie Duffau Hors d'Age Armagnac 49.99

Delord 25 Year Old Armagnac 69.99

Calvados is another new to me spirit....any similar recommondations?

I have been interested in Armagnac for awhile and Ralfy's recent reviews have brought it to mind again.

This article provides some general info - http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/wine/sommelier/armagnac.htm

Can anyone recommend a "reasonable" i.e. $35-60 bottle of Armagnac?

For example, Binnys lists:

Delord Napoleon 10 Year Old Armagnac 34.99

Cerbois VSOP Armagnac 49.99

Marie Duffau Hors d'Age Armagnac 49.99

Delord 25 Year Old Armagnac 69.99

Calvados is another new to me spirit....any similar recommondations?

I recently participated in a blind Cognac tasting of nine expressions which ranged in price from $35-$225. At the end was a curveball which was "Alambic" Domaine D'Ognoas BAS-ARMAGNAC - 1985 Special Release. This Armagnac won the tasting event with the vast majority of tasters agreeing they would buy a bottle of this over any of the Cognacs. Weighing in at $105/per bottle, it's not within your price parameters but something you may want to consider. A wonderful spirit indeed.

Go Cubs!

I think what you will find is, unlike Bourbon but like Scotch, Armagnac requires A LOT of time in wood - some would say it needs even more time than Cognac. Therefore, the "good stuff" will be >15 years of age and relatively expensive. The good news is that as the NY mag article points out, due to low demand, it is now well priced compared to Scotch of similar age.

Another point to consider is that Cognac and Armagnac producers are allowed to use boise (basically a concentrated wood syrup) and coloring as additives. VO, Napoleon, and VSOP expressions are all likely to contain these additives. XO, hors d'age, and vintage products may also contain them but it is less likely - especially for Armagnac.

Armagnac is also a much more artisanal product compared to Cognac and thus the very low production compared to Cognac (by a factor 1 to 10 iirc) contributes to relatively high prices. Note Armagnac does not have anything like the big 4 Cognac brands (Hennessy, Courvoisier, Remy Martin, and Martell) and so you are not likely to find "bottom shelf" pricing.

So, Armagnac is considered the more flavorful product, it generaly requires more age than Cognac, it is produced in lower quantities and very little of it is exported. Therefore, it will be difficult to find very good examples for under $60.

I think Armagnac appeals more to bourbon drinkers than Cognac as it tends to be less sweet and a bit spicy. I liked Marie Duffau a lot, but I don't think I've tried the others on your list.

The Delord 25 yr is a bargain and a very good pour. Available from several sources on line.

I would also recommend the Chateau De Pellehaut 1987 - The single barrel pick from K&L for about $75 - Their description on their site is spot on. This is a whiskey lovers Armagnac.

The Domain de Lassaubatju 1989 also from K&L is softer and fruitier and has a more Cognac like character with less finish if your taste is inclined in that direction.

I'm afraid I've found most $50ish Armagnacs to be rather one-demensional. The thing about Armagnac, IMHO, is that you get what you pay for, and if you want the good stuff, you've gotta go north of $100. I've loved some of Darroze's vintage-dated expressions that I've been lucky enough to taste, but they cost an arm and a leg.

I went ahead and picked up the Delord 25 as it has excellent reviews and for the price still affordable.

Will wait until Christmas to crack this open.

Delord 25 Years Old Bas-Armagnac

UltimateBeverage

• 3 weeks later...

I'm enjoying my bottle of Delord 25 as well. I was "iffy" on my first pour but each subsequent pour has been an improvement over the preceding one. It's interesting contrasting it with Bourbon or Scotch - I think I can make out the grape base but it does have similarities with Bourbon as noted above.

I have a bottle of Delord XO which I find is quite nice. Not the most complex drink on the planet but very pleasant.

As for Calvados, I like Pere Magloire. I also have a bottle of Chauffe-Coeur VSOP which is okay and cheaper... maybe an introduction to Calva but not all that impressive. I have a 375ml bottle of Daron Fine but I don't like it. I'd definitely recommend looking into American wood-aged apple brandies as well which are often excellent, though usually not aged as long as the better calvas and stronger in flavor.

I jumped on the Armagnac train and bought a test bottle (1973 Chateau Pellehaut). The nose is phenomenal, the taste is something I think I need more time to get used to. It's not sweet enough, and I feel like that is hiding the flavor. Like a soup that needs salt. This might also sound odd, but I got more enjoyment tasting it with the front of my tongue while I usually taste my whiskeys more on the back of tongue. The front was the only way to get the fruity grape notes that make the nose so interesting. I never noticed anything like that before.

I did the same thing about 6 months ago with Calvados, so I dug that test bottle back out too (15 year Adrien Camut). They share a lot of similarities, just with different fruit notes layered on top. I like the overall flavor of my calvados better, but I have always felt that it was too light. Maybe there are brands that have more power to them, more like the typical scotches and bourbons. This feels watered down in comparison. Nose on the Armagnac beats the calvados easily, just wasn't getting into the taste as much.

Neither one pushed my buttons enough to assuage my fears of the impending aged whiskey drought.

Edited by compliance

Compliance - Most of the big house Cognac products will probably give you the sweetness your looking for. Unfortunately they are typically pretty watery in character too. Perhaps look for an iteration at a higher proof?

The way you describe the flavors in the mouth, unbalanced, is what I get from a lot of Cognac and some Armagnac.

I have a Pellehaut '87 (K&L barrel) open and it is very whiskey like without much in the way of fruity sweetness. The flavors seem well balanced to me with a progression from front to back of the mouth that resembles a well crafted whiskey. I would include the Darroze Domaine de Salie '77 in the very well balanced category, but it isn't particularly sweet either.

I would like to further explore the world of Armagnacs but lack a local who stocks them.

No local stock here either - the internet is the only option for me.

IF you ever have a notion to visit Tallahassee I would be happy to share anything I have at that moment.

Edited by sailor22

I remain a huge fan of the alambic brandies coming of Germains Robins in California.

Thanks Sailor, I like Tallahassee, always stop there because it's the starting point in Florida to get a decent Cuban sandwich.

Thanks for the comments sailor. I don't think there's anything bad about the bottle I have, I think it's just me not being very used to brandies. I've heard cognac is generally sweeter, so I wonder if I might like that more. I tend to prefer sweeter whiskeys as well. I drink a lot of high proof whiskeys, and I'm sure that's why I'm wishing this was more concentrated. Are there many options for cognac/armagnac/calvados around 100 proof and higher? Doesn't seem like it.

These were just my first impression of the armagnac as a complete noob. I'll go back to it over the next few weeks to see how my reactions change. That's part of the fun of trying a new variety of spirit.

The options for finding higher than 80 proof Cognac can be counted on less than one finger.

Barrel proof for Cognac and Armagnac is called "Brut de Fut". It isn't really that unusual in France but because this market is dominated by the Big Houses and their blends it isn't so common here.

Daniel Bouju Royal and Tres Vieux Cognac are great examples. Both are dry to dryish but are in my estimation excellent pours. YMMV.

Germain Robin in California makes wonderful Brandy and should be more easily found than the more obscure French bottlings. They make no attempt to mimic whiskey (with the possible exception of their Havana release) but are making great product with their own priorities. Their "Ano Domini" is something close to magic in a bottle. Possibly one of the finest pours I have experienced to date.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.