BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

. and the porch in between the two is a cigar porch .. where we regularly meet up for a good taste experience. )

I've been to the "porch". Highly recommended. And entertaining I might add. I'm very jealous Georgia laws don't allow this.

Re: JPS or 4RSmBLEd: the only correct answer, in the true SB spirit, is to BUY BOTH. Very different whiskies, and both are excellent. If you can only buy one, buy the 4RSmBLEd IMO.

As I read threads like this one ... the old "which one should I get" and "which batch"? etc, etc ... I am ever so thankful for our local purveyor. First of all the liquor store carries one of the finest portfolios of bourbon that you will find anywhere .. that's anywhere. Secondly, they carry more single barrel selections than anyone I'm aware of. (There are over 25 on the shelf as I speak and more on the way in.) .. Thirdly, they have a lounge next door where you can go TRY before you buy. Yesterday, for example, I was interested in possible buying the last bottle of Bernheim he had on the shelf. I went to the bar and tried it. And ... it's still on the shelf! Some folks around here take it for granted .. but the more bourbon folk I meet .. the more I appreciate what we have. OH .. and the porch in between the two is a cigar porch .. where we regularly meet up for a good taste experience. And, finally - I've been fortunate enough to join them as a member of the barrel selection team on twice yearly trips to the distilleries. Coming up .. a visit in early March by Jim Rutledge for a dinner and hang-out ... the latest of several MD's who have joined us.

SBers ... you really should put Tallahassee on your visit list some time in the future ... it takes the guesswork out of selections.

(PS - I get no compensation .. so don't think this is commercial ... just appreciation for what we have here.)

You're right John. Tallahassee has it all. I can, first hand, vouch for everything you said. What you did not add is the large collection of bourbon enthusiasts that live there. All very knowledgeable and just a great bunch of guys. I love hanging out with you guys.

Joe :usflag:

Compensation? Hell, I'd pay them.

I guess I do, Squire ... just picked up a case of KC barrel select today and left a few shackles on the counter! Not even a frickin' discount!

Liquor Barn (St. Matthews) has released two JPS 18 offerings - a single barrel that is unfiltered S-W juice that was about two years ago (barrel D-4 or D-7 something), and a newer "batch selection" that is more in line with the regular JPS 18 you see on other shelves. You won't find any more of the single barrel, but the batch selection might still be floating around.

Liquor Barn (St. Matthews) has released two JPS 18 offerings - a single barrel that is unfiltered S-W juice that was about two years ago (barrel D-4 or D-7 something), and a newer "batch selection" that is more in line with the regular JPS 18 you see on other shelves. You won't find any more of the single barrel, but the batch selection might still be floating around.

We have single barrel selections here, on is D8 and there are two others as well. These are all delicious and were confirmed to be the SW juice. I'd grab any of the SB you can. It's $89 here. Can't speak for the batch selection as we have had various reports on this thread.

I'm on my second pour of this (batch 16). The bottle has been open about 4 to 6 weeks, and this is now much better. The finish is not nearly as woody as it was. In fact, the finish is not nearly as dry as it was either. Nose is still fantastic, and with the decline in wood at the end, I get a little wood in the nose, along with sweet stone fruit (cherries maybe, but not quite) and more vanilla. The palate is sweeter than I recall as well. So the air has obviously helped this one a bit.

At $90, I don't know that I would buy it again, but I think this bottle will be enjoyable.

Glad to see this come up in the tastings here. I had been meaning to get a chance to sit down with the JPS

I have a JPS 17 batch 4 and thought it an idea to sip a glass with some others for comparison. I had my sweetie set up a blind tasting with the newer wheater Vintage 17, a dsp-ky-78 Noahs Mill, An ORVW 10 yr 107 prf Lawrenceburg I had kickin' around from the late 90's; and a recent OWA. All were down near half in the bottles- the obvious difference being time open.

In the blind taste, it turned out the Rip 10 was a clear favorite in all respects, with a full rich vanilla and caramel toffee nose with a full flavor and body to match. The JPS was a close second and similar in character, tho a bit more subdued by comparison- possibly given the lower proof as I added no water to any of the contenders. The Noahs Mill was a not too far behind third.- The surprise for me was the Vintage 17 wheater, which I had always respected; in this crowd it showed evidence of an odd soapiness maybe lavander-like in the nose and palate which seemed a little strange at the time. The OWA was outclassed at this point, and came off rather thin in nose and flavor with a fair amount of heat.

About an hour later the tastes were checked again. These are all now still quite tasty and the OWA had improved and seemed it would be just fine with a splash of water or ice, drinking for 'recreational purposes :grin:. The soapy note off the Vintage 17 had dissipated as well, and the OWA had increased fullness and less heat apparent. The ORVW 10 still pretty much led the way and was indeed the pleasure of the evening, while the JPS I thought was the better of the group considering it is still somewhat of an available pour- tho harder to find all the time.

Cheers,

RW

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.