What are my chances?

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll be travelling to a number of the distilleries at the end of August and wondering what my chances are of being able to purchase Stagg, WT RareBreed, VW 20yr, Blanton's, etc. from local liquor stores (near Frankfort or Bardstown). Am I out of luck? Unfortunately the only large one I'll be near is the liquor barn in Lexington. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! toast.gif

When I went to a liquor barn last year near Lexington, thay had ALOT of stuff. I think you will easily find Rare Breed, Pappy Van Winkle 20 year, Blanton's but Stagg may be a bit difficult. Bobby has probably bought it all already! grin.gif If I remember the pappy 20 was in a glass case away from the bourbon section, so check in there for some things, but overall you will have much success. The only things you will probably have a hrd time finding were limited releases that were a popular favorite such as the formentioned Stagg, Wild Turkey 12 year and last year's Old Forester B-Day burbon to name a few. Enjoy and happy hunting! toast.gif

Thanks for the good info. smile.gif

The only problem I have is that I can only bring back two bottles (one with me and one with my wife) so making THAT decision is going to be tough. frown.gif

If you cannot get Pappy Van Winkle 20 yo in Canada (or if it is hard to get since I see you mentioned it as something you wanted to look for) I would put it on the 'To Get' list. It is a bit pricey, at around $75-$80, but an exceptional bourbon. If by all means you do happen across some Stagg make that your 2nd bottle! Picking 2 bottles out of everything you will find will be hard, that's for sure. Maybe you can let yourself go and buy 3-4 but polish some off before the return trip! drinking.giflol.gif

I don't know anything about Canadian customs officials (they are always friendly to me). But when I go to Mexico I always bring back quite a bit of good tequila fully prepared to pay. About two years ago I was loaded down with several bottles. I declared them and the fellow said, "are any of them the large bottles?" I honestly said, "no, sir" and he just waved me on through.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.