The Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch 14 Years Old - anyone tried this one?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch 14 Years Old sounds delicious from the review below.

I don't recall trying many (if any) Scotch Whiskys aged in rum barrels.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfool/2011/07/20/348/

A perfect whisky for the rum lover?

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Balvenie_14_year_old_Carribean_Rum_Cask_Finished_160504.html

Price is right.

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask Single Malt Scotch 14 Years Old is a bloody masterpiece.

I wouldn't trust any "review" that starts off with that kind of hyperbole.

Look for other opinions and/or taste it yourself before comiting to a bottle

Edited by portwood

Solid malt,not great but an easy laid back pour for sure.I would recommend this dram to an entry level scotch drinker as it is not overly challenging and quite smooth.Balvenie makes some great malts for sure like the PW21 yr. and Tun,this is not Balvenie at the top of their game IMHO.

You do pick up a sweetness for sure that really mellows the dram and adds a certain richness to this pour,best served as a digestif as a treat to yourself for dessert.This to me would be a bourbon drinkers scotch.

Solid malt,not great but an easy laid back pour for sure.I would recommend this dram to an entry level scotch drinker as it is not overly challenging and quite smooth.Balvenie makes some great malts for sure like the PW21 yr. and Tun,this is not Balvenie at the top of their game IMHO.

All true. None of that, however, equals "masterpiece".

All true. None of that, however, equals "masterpiece".

I agree, obviously reviews are subjective individual impression, and there were not may reviews for comparison. The relative uniqueness of scotch aged in rum barrels caught my attention and looked worth checking out.

I have a bottle open. It is good, but I rarely reach for it. Consistent with Wanwright's take, I think the sweetness from the rum barrels makes it a bit one dimensional. I like it less than the Doublewood.

Oddly enough this is one of my favorite scotches, but then again I like most of the Balvenie line. I have not cracked my bottle of their Tun 1401 but I have sipped on my 21 year PW and I find that also very appealing though my favorite so far is still their 15 year single barrel.

I like the Balvenie line, particularly the Founder's Reserve, but am not tempted by this finished version. Sometimes something extra is just a little too much.

I like the Balvenie line, particularly the Founder's Reserve, but am not tempted by this finished version. Sometimes something extra is just a little too much.

I assume your talking about the 10 year, Is that still available? I've never seen it on a store shelf or available from my normal online sources. Just curious as it's one of the few "regular" expressions from Balvenie I have not tried.

Yes MD, the 10 year old, don't know if it's still available. A friend and I used to regularly split a case but I haven't bought any in about 10 years or so.

I would agree with this one. It's good, but probably a tad expensive and not their best.

I assume your talking about the 10 year, Is that still available? I've never seen it on a store shelf or available from my normal online sources. Just curious as it's one of the few "regular" expressions from Balvenie I have not tried.

The Founder's Reserve is no longer produced,with a little searching some may still be had.I recently found several of these at $29 and bought the 3 left on the shelf,if you see it buy it.The Balvenie FR is one of the great values in malts IMHO.

I found a few places with it but they are across the country and local purchase only, I'll have to keep my eyes open for a bottle. I know it's rather limited and more "simple" in taste but Balvenie continues to be one of my favorite family of scotches... I just can't seem to get enough.

Balvenie 12 Signature is the successor to the Founder's Reserve. The only problem with it is it's the same price as the Caribbean Cask.

I recently got a Chieftan's indy Isle of Jura that was finished in a rum cask. The rum sweetness actually plays well with the island character. Sort of sweet and salty in my opinion.

Balvenie 12 Signature is the successor to the Founder's Reserve. The only problem with it is it's the same price as the Caribbean Cask.

I recently got a Chieftan's indy Isle of Jura that was finished in a rum cask. The rum sweetness actually plays well with the island character. Sort of sweet and salty in my opinion.

Will have to look for that one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.