Kentucky Distilleries Map

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I made this map for my own purposes but others might find it useful. It shows every active distillery in Kentucky, both craft and major producers. Red pins are micro-distilleries, blue pins are major distilleries. It also shows a handful of inactive distilleries (green pins), chosen because they are either actively being used by producers for other purposes (aging, bottling), or could be (Medley). There are several others I could and may yet add, where warehouses are still in use.

Click on the pin to see the name of the distillery, the exact address, and whether or not it is open to the public.

Until I did this, I didn't realize where Pembroke is, for example. Hardin is the furthest west (although I know of one in construction that is further west), Pembroke is furthest south, and Maysville is the furthest east and north.

Edited by cowdery

Very, very cool map sir. Thank you for sharing, it will help in my adventures next time I get a chance to get down there.

Bests regards, Tony

Thanks for the post. I am now kicking myself not knowing I was probably within ten miles of Silver Trail a few months ago.

Not my area of expertise certainly but should BT/Barton 1792 distillery be in Bardstown?

Thanks. It's apparently not my area of expertise either. Funny that Google Maps still lists it as Tom Moore.

I look at it this way, with most of the other micros trashing the tradition of American whiskey and being that we embrace it, we wanted to see an old piece of equipment doing its job again. I take it that Vendome has quite a selection of old equipment.

The Bixlers, a family that is still around, were the distillers at McKenna, also at Barton and Old Judge, where Old Fitzgerald originated. Mary Hite, who works at the Getz Museum, is a member. Point is, poke around Bardstown and you can probably find some McKenna memorabilia, if you're interested.

Chuck I'm going to print off your map and use it as a stocking stuffer, perhaps I can convince someone to take a little trip with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, Not sure how this works, but if I could post a picture I have from a post Prohibition brochure when Pogue was seeking investors there is a picture in the brochure of A. Coleman Bixler who was brought over to Maysville from Bardstown to become the Master Distiller when Pogue started distilling again post Prohibition. Maybe if I can get one of my techie kids to show me I can post the whole brochure. The map is very cool. Peter Pogue

Coleman Bixler.pdf

Coleman Bixler.pdf

Thanks, Peter. I didn't know the Bixlers were at Pogue too. One of the important distilling families that doesn't get enough credit.

If the brochure is posted elsewhere, such as on the Pogue site, you can easily post a link to it here.

The genesis of this map was me trying to visualize the locations of Pogue and the other Kentucky micros relative to each other. Pogue has the distinction of being furthest north and furthest east.

• 8 months later...

Thanks Cowdery! I grew up in Shively next to Stitzel-Weller, Brown-Forman, Old Forester, and Heaven Hill--I have smell memories from 1980s youth. Get ready to update that map in 2014 when Angel's Envy goes up on Main Street in Louisville, sure to be great.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/economicdevelopment/News/2013/7-9-13+angelsenvygroundbreaking.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Remember this? I just made a couple of additions to it. I'm trying to add some of the places where there is still something to see, even though the distillery is gone and the place isn't open to the public. Mainly these are maturation facilities (i.e., a couple of warehouses). There is one that Jim Beam owns off of Withrow Court and I can't remember what distillery it used to be. I am pretty sure it's the one Cecil describes on pages 124-5, which started out as S. P. Lancaster and ended up as Waterfill & Frazier, having also been called Shawhan in there too. I'm pretty sure that's it but does anybody know for sure?

I'm interpreting your silence as meaning you think I'm right. Therefore, I've gone ahead and identified it as Waterfill & Frazier. I've also added T. W. Samuels at Deatsville and Chapeze at Clermont.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.