Product Placement (Wild Turkey)

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just recently learned the term that I used as the subject of this post. I suppose everyone else already knows that it refers to a financial arrangement whereby a product is prominently displayed within fictional entertainment such as motion pictures and TV.

I saw an instance of product placement last night on a rerun of JAG. The Admiral, who was recuperating from a leg injury at home with a lady friend, asked her to make him a Wild Turkey on the rocks. We got to see her set the bottle on a coffee table as she handed him his drink.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

The motion picture industry has greatly developed product placement since the mid-1970's. A fellow I knew was perhaps the founder of this concept. While I don't have any bourbon stories he did have Anheuser-Busch as a client. They would pay to have Budweiser placed in social settings. But if a group was going to fight in a bar then A-B had unidentifiable labels used -- to keep their brands from being associated with bar brawls.

By the mid-1980s the studios themselves started soliciting directly (for big dollar amounts) from clients they wanted to place in movies -- and then TV shows.

Dave, I wouldn't admit to watching reruns of JAG. That is almost as bad as Lawrence Welk reruns. lol.gif Just kidding....

What you said reminded me of Geena Davis swigging Wild Turkey in "Thelma & Louise". Hubba.... wink.gif I'm sure that helped improve sales of WT as well as provide a younger, fresher image for bourbon in general.

I've seen Makers Mark popping up in quite a few movies recently as well. Two recent movies I remember seeing it in off hand are Spiderman and The Gift.

Dave, I wouldn't admit to watching reruns of JAG. [snip]

Boy, I'm sure glad I didn't mention "Matlock" or "Murder She Wrote". lol.gif

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if old Ben had a taste of Old Forrester now and then. Jessica seems more like the sherry type. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

What you said reminded me of Geena Davis swigging Wild Turkey in "Thelma & Louise". Hubba....

Hmmmm. A young Geena Davis. grin.gifshocked.gif

As long as we're all 'fessing up to our shows & movies, the main character of the movie "Two Ninas" (which is a total chick-flick) repeatedly orders "Dickel" at his local watering hole.

He must've needed his nutrients after juggling two hot women!! lol.gif

He must've needed his nutrients after juggling two hot women!!

That is funny! lol.gifbowdown.gif

(If any newcomers didn't get the joke, head over here to find out.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.