Maker's Mark

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today I had a little time so I headed to Four Roses at Lotus to do a tour. They are on shut down all week and so is the tour. I had thought of going to Maker's afterward , so to salvage the trip and fill the need for whiskey lore , I was off. You drive thru Bardstown and Right in front of the burned out Heaven Hill Distillery. It's about 18 miles down a 2 lane country road with no shoulders and a lot of curves, you could met yourself coming back. If all the Maker's we drink has to be brought up this road( I think there must be a back way) that would justify a dollar or 2 per bottle right there. They have some warehouses at ST. Francis, all black and a new one being built, but this is separated by a few miles of the distillery. When you finally get there you are greeted by a sign telling you that you found it, but without mentioning the word "Eureka". What can I say?It is indeed a beautiful setting. Lots of nice little buildings sitting there perfectly, and all with what appears to be new or very durable coats of paint. I find the visitors center and see that the tours run on the halves so I have a 10 minute wait to join the 1:30 group. As the returning group comes in it is announced that they can have a complimentary bourbon candy and that those waiting for a tour will get theirs at the end. I didn't do it but the next time I may try to blend in with both groups at this point. Our tour guide gathered us up and got us over "Whiskey Creek" to begin. I've seen elsewhere some complaints about some tour guides here, But ours today, Mr David Pudlo, was excellent. He fully mastered the Bourbon story and how it relates to Maker's Mark, Fielded questions and appeared to be enjoying himself as much as we were. In the stillhouse it appears that there is a mirror behind the tailboxes but I walked back there and it is the new ones, they are reversed of the ones in front and the new still is back there as well. Also there are 8 cypress fermenters of about 9500 gallons each, David did say there are other, stainless steel ones elsewhere. They are sticking with the 19 barrel batch and did not mention that that is effectively doubled with the other still and that it can be done multiple times in a day. Off to a warehouse, he also said that the angels share is about 14 % and that seems believable to me. We went to the bottling house, they were on break so we didn't get to see the dipping. He said they are at about 350,000 cases a year. Back to the visitors center and that piece of Maker's Chocolate. They have the usual array of caps and clothing items, also you can purchase and dip your own 375ml bottle for 13 dollars. I had a few sips of lemonade and headed home. I think if anyone is in Bardstown they should at least go these 18 miles to see this.

Thanks Bobby. In the giftshop, were they selling any of their premiums (gold, black, overproof) or just the regular red seal. Just wondering, as I'll be there in August.

toast.gif

They only sell the regular red cap, as far as I know. They do sometimes carry special dippings, but the bourbon in them is still the same old Makers mark. Last year when I went they had the bottles with the Red/Blue and Blue/Red wax (UK and UL bottles). Also, they have the dip yourself 375ml bottles as Bobby mentioned, but that was all... The bottles you spoke of are all for export. When you say gold do you mean the VIP bottles or the Gold label bottles?(they are for overseas) The gold seal VIP bottles I saw all over KY.

I don't think you're supposed to do it, but I bought a 375ml bottle, and dipped it myself making it a 'slam' bottle lol.gif

post-87-14489811231913_thumb.jpg

They did have the 750ml VIP there as well. I think you can get it for 27 or so at Liquor Barn and about 32.00 at Toddy's . It was 35 at Maker's

Great, that's the kind of info I need. I'll buy a cheap one and slam dunk it like Paradox, then if I choose, I'll pick up the better stuff at Liquor Barn.

Thanks

toast.gif

This group will certainly correct me if I am wrong, but, I thought the VIP Maker's was only different glassware. In other words, while many consider regular red Maker's to be overpriced, the VIP gold Maker's with the same bourbon and different glassware would be even more overpriced, unless you have a collection and want limited glassware.

My less than glowing opinion of Maker's, though, has nothing to do with my desire to visit Loretto. From Jeff's and Bobby's recent descriptions, I have made it a must stop next time I have the time to fit it in.

You are right. The VIP bottlings are the same old regular Makers Mark bourbon, just in a different bottle with a post card you fill out and mail in. They then mail you a sticker with whatever you write on the postcard to affix to the front of the bottle.

The only Makers Mark that you can get that is actually different contents-wise is available overseas like the black label/black wax sold in Japan for example. It is 95 proof instead of 90 proof like the red wax...

Sorry for the quality of the close up shot, but again, I used my cell phone camera since it is quicker for these shots... The left and middle pics are of a Japanese export and the one on the right is of a VIP bottle.

post-87-14489811232156_thumb.jpg

I saw a couple unopened black wax, black label bottles on display (away from the opened bottles) behind the bar at Furlongs in L'ville last week. I didn't bother to ask the barmaid what they were. (She had two strikes against her - she was new behind the bar - one week - and she was a cute blonde. shocked.gif) But, I suspected that the black Maker's bottles were export - I think I remember seeing it in the Regans' Book of Bourbon.

Heck, maybe I will go there later this week after I get to L'ville again and see if by some chance they will serve from them. I am sure the answer will be no, but, heck, it doesn't hurt to try (or to slip the barkeep a big tip!).

Was the whole bottle black, or just the label? I only mention this because just a few months ago the new 2003 Makers Mark Keeneland bottles (Secretariat) bottles came out and they were all black bottles with black wax. They were sold only in KY. If the bar you spoke of had the Japanese export ones, hell, I'd try to get them to open one too, haha! lol.gif Here's a pic of a secretariat bottle I got off eBay.

post-87-14489811232332_thumb.jpg

I saw that bottling when I went to the Cork n' Bottle back in April. . . amusingly it was selling for $2 LESS than the regular red wax bottle. . . .I bought a bottle of Stagg instead.

TomC

From a standpoint of "pretty" if people could only visit one distillery I think this one should be the one.

That's right, I forget they had a 101 in the gold label.

You mean you don't have it? lol.gif

lol.gif, nope, after doing the NFL collection I got bummed on wanting any more Makers stuff.

Chris and Mark

How does the 101 compare with their regular red wax version?

Bob

Unfortunately neither of us has the Gold label 101 and if we did get one we probably would just keep it in the collection for now since to get one you saw how much they are going for... We both have the 95 proof Black label/Black wax from Japan and are thinking of splitting one if we can get another bottle at a decent price in order to try a higher proof Makers...

I had a 101 about 25 years ago and blew the whole bottle out on Whiskey Sours! banghead.gif

Doh! banghead.gif The ol' "If I only knew then what I know now..." I know Chris posted this once before but I still find it funny and true of Makers Mark... "hmmm... That doesn't seem too honest..." Here's what Chris had to say:

It is sort of intresting that on the side of the japanese black wax bottles it says

"Makers mark select

Our 95 proof Maker's Mark Select reflects my own individual preference in the Maker's Mark style. While I'd never alter the soft, clean and gentle taste Dad achieved with his original creation of Maker's Mark, my tastes have always leaned towards a slightly more robust, more full flavored whisky-a perfect complement to our 90 proof red wax Makers Mark. I hope you enjoy Makers Mark Select as much as I do. Bill Samuels Jr."

I wonder why he won't sell that bourbon in the US... When someone asked at the tour if they would ever be selling any other proof or age of bourbon, the tourguide said that they 'are too honest to sell more than one bottling of the same bourbon'... hmm... That doesn't seem too honest...

Maybe he would like a nice Bourbon with some Rye spicyness if he is looking for a Robust flavor.

I liked Labrot & Graham a lot but I think if you put every thing aside and grade only on picture post card pretty , Maker's comes out on top. grin.gif

It's not so much a robust flavor we want Bobby, it's how they (Makers Mark) contradict themselves in their statements... And the other thing that bothers us is how as other companies do, they release different/higher proof offerings overseas and leave us in the dark here...

I've always speculated that the reason Maker's Mark doesn't do domestic specialty releases is because they want their flagship bourbon to be considered the premium product.

Also, with their practices of barrel rotation, doesn't that pretty much eliminate any chance of getting a "honey barrel"? (ie. they all end up pretty much the same, don't they?)

My understanding is, the only real option is how much water to mix in when bottling.

skep.gif

You've pretty much nailed it here. They have beat their own drum so much that they have effectively painted themselves in a corner. Now if they do any thing other than the same ol' thing , alot of folks may look elsewhere for the good bourbon. Our tour guide said they had a problem with some barrels last year and they weren't good enough and were sold. He did lead us to believe that they were sold to someone for use in rubbing alcohol rather than to a blender or someone like Willets old place. All joking aside they have brand appeal. There are folks who won't think of drinking anything else. I used to be an Ambassador in reverse, I would try and get as many people as I could to go to Jim Beam. I was successfull part of the time. This was when Makers was about double the price of Beam and I could never lose the argument when I pointed out that there was no way it was twice as good. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.