Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey

oke&coke
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My sister in Washington sent me this for Christmas and I got to open it tonight. Not very good at tasting notes but since I could not find any here I will do my best.

Color: Golden straw color

Nose: Grassy with a hint of a freshly sliced loaf of bread.

Palate: Fresh wheat kernels and a gentle hint of wood underneath. A little thin from only being 80pr.

Finish: Short and thin. No heat to speak of and the flavors do drop off the tongue quickly.

Conclusion: I think the biggest flaw in this whiskey is the low proof. It does tend to have a watered down feel to it. I did find that taking bigger sips does reduce this effect a bit. I think the flavors are very good and would survive well in a bulked up bottle. I do recommend that people try this a least once.

Thanks for the tasting note O&C! I need to give Dry Fly a shot since they're local to me.

That old thread is an interesting read - now we know what grain "X" is:

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/creel-triticale/

I've seen 375ml bottles of the Triticale here so I may have to pick one of those up and give it a go.

Edited by ChainWhip

I see that they have offered the wheat whiskey in a 375ml, cask strength version. This one sounds like it would be light years better. If anyone ever gets to try it let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

Revisited this one tonight to give it another go. I still stand by my original note with one difference. On the first taste of my previous pour it had a watery quality to it. On my first taste tonight it has almost a bite to it(maybe metallic). The flavors are all still there so I still don't find this a bad pour. The flavors also seem to get compounded as you drain the glass. Maybe just like wheated bourbons it just needs some air time to open it. This whiskey is probably best had on a clean palate so not right after dinner or a stronger bourbon.

• 2 months later...

Tried some of the regular Wheat Whiskey last night back-to-back with some Bernheim Wheat Whiskey and neither really did it for me... will give it another go before writing it off.

If I had to choose between Bernheim and DF, and I have, I would pick Bernheim. The wheats seem a little mellow for my regular taste but they looked interesting. I found the DF was much more mellow than the Bernheim. I may eventually try DF Wheat again but it may be quite a while. I do like their gin and would like to try the bourbon eventually.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.