Mackmyra Swedish Whisky

theglobalguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Visiting family in Canada this weekend, stopped by LCBO only to be pleasantly surprised by their holiday whisky selection. Prices for many of them closer to USA pricing than i had expected (except the bourbon...just nuts pricing almost 2x).

Picked up Mackmyra The Swedish Whisky. Hope to crack it open later in the week, have no idea what the taste will be. Looking around online i managed to find reviews on their "1st bottling" which i passed on @ $67.

On the one hand, excited that new markets are starting to distill, on the other haven't made a dent it what's made domestically yet. :cool:

That's something I'd like to try if just for the novelty. Drink enough it might make me dream of blonde Swedish women.

Cracked it open today, not sure where to start. 82 proof, label has a spot for batch #, but it's blank. This is a 700 mL bottle (maybe that's why i've never seen in the States) I'm not gifted enough to give tasting notes but what i'm getting so far;

Smells like a bowl of corn flakes, mixed with berries and hay. Drank neat it has a warm note to it, not as light and fruity as i'd expected by the very light colour. With a few drops of water, corn and flowers coming out.

All in all, well worth the $45 CDN and glad i took the chance on it. Jumped on the English version of their website earlier today to find a wide range of bottlings. Hope more of them show up on this side of the pond.

Thanks for the notes. Doubt I'll run across it but at least I have some idea of what to expect.

I wish it would find a US distributor. A friend of mine came back from Ireland with a bottle of it and while it wasn't outstanding, it was good and worth a bottle or taste, at least. I'd have to dig back through my notes but if it showed up on our shelves, I'd definintely jump at the chance. There's an even smaller Swedish distillery, Teerenpeli - associated with a restaurant chain there - that I'd love to try.

have fun,

aaron

From what i could translate from their press clippings (thanks Google translate), LCBO in Ontario, Canada and a large reseller in France have picked them up now. Imagine if they had a full US Distribution plan they be mentioning it.

I appreciate the difference of it enough from Scotch and Bourbon choices available in Kentucky that i intend to snag another bottle next trip up to Canada. Couldn't defend it as better than XXXXX if i had to, just loved the cereal smell/taste.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple weeks of air, and i swear...blindfolded i could confuse this for Bruichladdich The Organic in a second. Amazed how much the grain smell/taste went away. Still loving it and glad i purchased.

I had a bottle of Mackmyra Brukswhisky (still not clear on whether it's a blend or single malt). Nice whisky, crisp light aroma but more assertive on the tongue. Lots of citrus and spice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.