What Happened to the Drinkability of that Whiskey Once the Bottle Was Cracked?

HP12
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Many whiskies change after the bottle is opened and the whisk(e)y left to take on air over time. Some whiskies benefit, while some don't and can actually deteriorate over time depending on the expression.

What has been your experience with those various opened bottles of juice? Any favorites that benefit most from air and time? Any expressions that don't do so well with air time on the shelf?

From my experience, wheaters seem to benefit most from air time. Case in point:

I purchased a bottle of VW Lot 'B' in the spring of 2011. Once opened, the nose had this funky smell of dirty dish water rising above the typical VW profile of vanilla, caramel, fruit...and the flavor palate was tight.

A month or two later, not much difference although the palate loosened up but that dish water element in the nose was still very apparent and frankly not something I want to experience when sipping my whiskey.

Fast forward about a year and a half and pouring from approx 2/3 full bottle. Absolutely delicious. The dish water scent is long gone, the flavors in the nose and palate have bloomed and the finish is extremely enjoyable. A very well balanced whiskey and one that has truly benefited from time after being cracked.

I've had it happen HP, (never had a bottle deteriorate, even after years of being open) enough that it's no surprise, but haven't figured out any pattern as it seems to occur across the brands.

I agree with HP. My bottle of Larceny was a very different and much better whiskey after airing out.

I will also say that I think most of BT's mid to upper shelfers benefit from air-time. Dusties also seem to taste better to me when they have been open for a while. The mustiness floats away and many become more drinkable.

I've had one Old Charter slope get bitter after sitting open and at about 25% full for a year. I've not experienced that issue with any other bottles.

I've certainly experienced bottles getting better over time as well. I know there are solid scientific reasons for the whiskey slightly changing over time, but I wonder if, for me, it's not mostly psychological, if I'm not just liking it more as I get more familiar with it. Kind of like a good record. On listen one I might like it ok, but by listen 5 I love it.

I know I've posted this before, but if you find a bottle you like deteriorates with time, you have two options:

1. Fill the bottle to it's full capacity using glass marbles thus displacing the air and stopping the whiskey reacting with any oxygen from the atmosphere.

2. Drink it.

I've often wondered why some bottles seem to improve with some airtime. Some open up considerably after the bottle has been open as though the bottling process somehow compresses the flavors. Anyone have any insight as to why this might be?

Wild Turkey 8 y.o. is a favorite of mine. I like it fresh out of the newly opened bottle, so much so that for years it never got much more than a month old. But about a year and a half ago, I ran across a half bottle (liter size) that had got pushed back behind some other bottles for I'm guessing more than six months. Big improvement on something I already liked quite a bit. Very good got considerably better. Now when I open a new bottle, I decant half of it into an empty WT liter bottle and let them sit at least a couple months.

I know I've posted this before, but if you find a bottle you like deteriorates with time, you have two options:

1. Fill the bottle to it's full capacity using glass marbles thus displacing the air and stopping the whiskey reacting with any oxygen from the atmosphere.

2. Drink it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.