What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As with most of the above posters, I have been on a big Manhattan kick. About a month ago I had an Aged Manhattan at a high end restaurant, it had Whistle Pig, Antica, not sure what bitters and was barrel aged for 30days. I gotta say it was delicious and has sent me on a major Manhattan run. I have dialed in my recipe using Jefferson's 10yo Rye, Noilly Pratt Rouge and Peychards. In a 3oz/.75oz/5drop ratio.

I also just bought a 2L Barrel online earlier this week and am eagerly awaiting its arrival to age my own beverages. I will post my results as it progresses.

Bourbon and limeade, hmm, some possibilities there. I've usually made Bourbon cocktails with orange or lemon juice and saved lime for rum but there's no reason to limit myself.

Yes, one of the oldest standard cocktails is the bourbon rickey which, I am pretty sure, pre-dates the gin rickey.

Tim

Yes, our favorite spirit goes back a ways . . . if the ancient Greek Gods had Bourbon they wouldn't have bothered with ambrosia.

You're right Tim, my drink is very similar to a Rickey. Instead of using a mineral water, I add a bitters for flavor accents. As Col Rickey intended, the drink is refreshing in warm weather.

Speaking of bitters, have any of you fellas used Campari instead of vermouth in a Manhattan?

Nope, but go for it. Use sparingly.

it's funny, when people talk about bitters, the taste component that i do not get from them is bitter. Really a bit of a misnomer.

Campari and soda with a slice of orange, a favorite summer imbiber pre dinner sitting on the patio. Refreshing.

B

no name, but tasty.

EWSB 02-1.25ounce

Germain Robin craft ethod brandy, 0.75 ounce

Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao 0.5 ounce

couple heavy dashes Angostura.

Shaked with ice.

Yum!!

The brandy plays well in this.

B

I understand Campari and soda is so popular in Europe it's sold pre mixed in 12 once cans. I've used it for a good many years over ice or with tonic. Don't happen to have any on hand at the present time but will pick up some eventually.

Thanks Trey, basically switching the gin for Bourbon, a Nergroni is what I was thinking about when the Bourbon/Campari light bulb went off. Never occurred to me to try it before.

Yeah, it totally works, but you can mix an amaro with sweet vermouth and anything and it will taste good. I almost always make my Negroni with equal parts, but don't make that mistake with the Boulevardier. I go 2:1:1 or 3:2:2 bourbon:vermouth:amaro.

For something a little more obscure, try the Cocktail a la Louisiane, one of my favorite whiskey cocktails:

3/4 oz. rye whiskey (I use Sazerac or Rittenhouse)

3/4 oz. Benedictine

3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica recommended)

3 dashes absinthe (sub Herbsaint)

3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stirred, strained of course. Garnish with a Luxardo cherry. Delicious.

Made a variation of an old fashioned with Weller 12yr to go with lunch. Instead of simple syrup/sugar, I used a little bit of maple syrup.

First time having a cocktail in over a month, I think. :)

i was thinking of making up a simple syrup using unrefined brown sugar.

Go big and use real demerara sugar in a nice rich 2:1 ratio! Perfect for rum old fashioned's and tiki drinks. No reason it wouldn't work with bourbon as well!

Anyone try making any cocktails with some maple sugar? I've got a good friend who's family has a maple farm and he has it pretty readily available. I was just going to substitute it into an old fashioned, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyone try making any cocktails with some maple sugar? I've got a good friend who's family has a maple farm and he has it pretty readily available. I was just going to substitute it into an old fashioned, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Yeah, it totally works, but you can mix an amaro with sweet vermouth and anything and it will taste good. I almost always make my Negroni with equal parts, but don't make that mistake with the Boulevardier. I go 2:1:1 or 3:2:2 bourbon:vermouth:amaro.

For something a little more obscure, try the Cocktail a la Louisiane, one of my favorite whiskey cocktails:

3/4 oz. rye whiskey (I use Sazerac or Rittenhouse)

3/4 oz. Benedictine

3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica recommended)

3 dashes absinthe (sub Herbsaint)

3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stirred, strained of course. Garnish with a Luxardo cherry. Delicious.

Reminds me of my "Rye, White and Blue" party menu for the 4th of July last year! In addition to this cocktail and about a half dozen Manhattan variations it included 15 other rye cocktails including some classics like the Blinker and the Scofflaw and some from other sources like the PDT Cocktail book. A couple of favorites included the Diamondback and the Rattlesnake (a natural pair!), the Final Ward and one of my favorites, the Rack and Rye (which also works in the demerara sugar syrup).

1 ½ oz Rye (I like Rittenhouse for the proof and to help balance the Batavia Arrack)

¾ oz Batavia Arrack

¼ oz Demarara Syrup

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes Angostura Orange Bitters

Stir with ice and strain. Twist orange and lemon peel and discard.

If this rain lets up I'm going to the store for supplies. I was thinking a Barton cocktail with triple sec and apple juice.

Man, I underestimated the impact of using a premium whiskey in a cocktail -- always seemed like a waste. Used Handy instead of my customary Rittenhouse for my manhattan tonight (Antica, peychauds). What a difference! Probably won't make it a regular habit, but the quality certainly wasn't lost in the wash.

A rough approximation of a Vieux Carre. 1 oz. Rittenhouse, 1 oz. Armagnac (didn't have cognac), 1 oz Vermouth (cocchi), 0.5 oz Calvados (didn't have benedictine, so I just grabbed something), 1 dash Peychauds, 1 dash Angostura. Drinking it up rather than on rocks. Not too bad.

A rough approximation of a Vieux Carre. 1 oz. Rittenhouse, 1 oz. Armagnac (didn't have cognac), 1 oz Vermouth (cocchi), 0.5 oz Calvados (didn't have benedictine, so I just grabbed something), 1 dash Peychauds, 1 dash Angostura. Drinking it up rather than on rocks. Not too bad.

Now we're talking... Name it!

Sounds good, David. I enjoy Vieux Carre's. I don't have Benedictine, either. But, I use B&B. I'm going to make me one now!

:toast:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!