What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

.75 oz Elijah Craig 18, .75 oz Campari, .75 oz. Amaro Nonino, .75 Dolin Sweet Vermouth, .75 oz. lemon juice. Fantastic.

.75 oz Elijah Craig 18, .75 oz Campari, .75 oz. Amaro Nonino, .75 Dolin Sweet Vermouth, .75 oz. lemon juice. Fantastic.

Sounds tasty! Have you got a name for it? Sounds like a Paper Airplane with vermouth thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if it would work with EC20? Got to find some way to use up that bottle...

Sounds tasty! Have you got a name for it? Sounds like a Paper Airplane with vermouth thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if it would work with EC20? Got to find some way to use up that bottle...

You know, I was actually trying to remember what was in a Paper Airplane and got it wrong. The vermouth was really nice in it though, and I like Campari much better than Aperol anyway. I might toy around with the ratios, as Squire and humchan2k suggested. And I think something dry like EC18 (or presumably EC20) works well. No idea on a name . . . a Wooden Airplane? :grin:

You know, I was actually trying to remember what was in a Paper Airplane and got it wrong. The vermouth was really nice in it though, and I like Campari much better than Aperol anyway. I might toy around with the ratios, as Squire and humchan2k suggested. And I think something dry like EC18 (or presumably EC20) works well. No idea on a name . . . a Wooden Airplane? :grin:

A Wooden Airplane works for me!

The history of the drink is a bit murky but seems to be that it started as the "Paper Plane" using EC and Aperol from Milk and Honey in NYC and it was the version made at the Violet Hour in Chicago that used Campari instead of Aperol (and BT bourbon instead of EC) that was called the "Paper Airplane". Usually it was made with EC12 and not 18 or 20 of course!

I have had a variation of this with rye, Gran Classico, lemon juice and Amaro CioCiaro which was dubbed the "Balsa Airplane".

Yet another tasty variation substitutes Ramazotti for Nonino. Another version I have heard of is the "Lead Balloon" using Stagg!

Very similar experience, Jersey. The Willett makes for an outstanding manhattan, perfect integration. Poured neat it was decent, but not my preferred profile -- a little on the briny and piney side, whereas I prefer baking spices.

Glad to hear I wasn't alone in my thoughts on the Willett. If I can it find around $30 I might pick up another bottle as it did make a fabulous manhattan. Did you you crack the Jefferson rye yet?

Today's luncheon cocktail was 1 oz Barton, 1/2 oz each of amaretto and triple sec, two oz pineapple juice. Sort of a whisky sour I suppose, I'm just combining things to find what works best for my tastes.

Being retired I have the time and inclination to pursue such things to their logical conclusion.

For something a little more obscure, try the Cocktail a la Louisiane, one of my favorite whiskey cocktails:

3/4 oz. rye whiskey (I use Sazerac or Rittenhouse)

3/4 oz. Benedictine

3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica recommended)

3 dashes absinthe (sub Herbsaint)

3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters

Stirred, strained of course. Garnish with a Luxardo cherry. Delicious.

Tried this last night and it's great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Going red today with pomegranate liqueur, triple sec and ginger ale, haven't decided if I will use rum or Bourbon as the main ingredient.

Drinking irish coffee this afternoon. I finally found the legit recipe which tastes just like the ones i had all over Ireland.

4-5oz coffee

1 tsp brown sugar - add to hot coffee and mix in

1.5oz Jameson - add to coffee/sugar and stir

float 1/2" partially whipped heavy cream on top by pouring over a spoon

Eventually I plan to experiment by substituting bourbon for the Jameson, but so far I haven't messed with a good thing. Jameson is harsh straight but it tastes just right in an Irish coffee.

I made a very good cocktail, this evening. It started out to be just a standard Old Fashioned cocktail with sugar, a little water, Angostura bitters, and Bulleit rye. I was just about to garnish it with a lemon slice when I spied my bottle of Stirrings blood orange bitters when I was putting the rye whiskey away. I decided, what the heck, added a healthy splash of the Stirrings, and my cocktail was wonderful.

Tim

I made a very good cocktail, this evening. It started out to be just a standard Old Fashioned cocktail with sugar, a little water, Angostura bitters, and Bulleit rye. I was just about to garnish it with a lemon slice when I spied my bottle of Stirrings blood orange bitters when I was putting the rye whiskey away. I decided, what the heck, added a healthy splash of the Stirrings, and my cocktail was wonderful.

Tim

Sounds delicious! Bulleit rye old-fashioned are among the great simple pleasures in my life.

I was really struck by something Squire had posted, to the effect that we should keep in mind when tasting dusties that they were not necessarily intended to be consumed straight. With that in mind, I made an old fashioned last night with ND OGD, simple syrup, a dash each of orange, grapefruit, and Angostura bitters (don't remember who makes the first two). I dropped in an enormous cube of ice, the kind that melts very slowly.

I'm telling you, the whiskey was transformed! I got a caramel-coated apple note with a bit of a rye kick in the finish. My wife picked up a rose petal note she found prominent. The butterscotch that is so strong in the whiskey almost completely disappeared. To be honest, I like this much better than ND OGD neat.

I was really struck by something Squire had posted, to the effect that we should keep in mind when tasting dusties that they were not necessarily intended to be consumed straight. With that in mind, I made an old fashioned last night with ND OGD, simple syrup, a dash each of orange, grapefruit, and Angostura bitters (don't remember who makes the first two). I dropped in an enormous cube of ice, the kind that melts very slowly.

I'm telling you, the whiskey was transformed! I got a caramel-coated apple note with a bit of a rye kick in the finish. My wife picked up a rose petal note she found prominent. The butterscotch that is so strong in the whiskey almost completely disappeared. To be honest, I like this much better than ND OGD neat.

Cocktail hour with the wife, so we're doing...

OWA (she doesn't know it's 107p) +

Homemade ginger syrup (ginger, lime, sugar, chili pepper) +

Lemon juice +

Touch of honey +

Splash of soda

Loosely inspired by the penicillin.

The Four Roses booth at the Beer Bourbon & Barbeque Festival was pouring a cocktail along with 4RSB, SmBatch, and Yellow Label. No name, but they said it had:

4Roses

Grapefruit Juice

Lemon Juice

Honey Syrup (1/2 honey & 1/2 water)

Bitters (Peychauds, though the guy said Angostura is he preferred)

Anywho, it was delicious. Going in, I thought it would suck. My question, though, and here's where I need the help...anyone ever had such a thing, and would you know what the proportions might be? Dude told me...but, there was a lot of bourbon and beer during the day...:crazy:

The Four Roses booth at the Beer Bourbon & Barbeque Festival was pouring a cocktail along with 4RSB, SmBatch, and Yellow Label. No name, but they said it had:

4Roses

Grapefruit Juice

Lemon Juice

Honey Syrup (1/2 honey & 1/2 water)

Bitters (Peychauds, though the guy said Angostura is he preferred)

Anywho, it was delicious. Going in, I thought it would suck. My question, though, and here's where I need the help...anyone ever had such a thing, and would you know what the proportions might be? Dude told me...but, there was a lot of bourbon and beer during the day...:crazy:

Sounds really close to a Brown Derby, which to the best of my recollection is 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz. Grapefruit Juice, and 0.5 oz. honey syrup. I made them last year for a July 4th party . . . a very good hot weather drink. No reason the bitters wouldn't work.

Hope y'all had fun at the BB&B festival. I continued my streak of having to work while it was going on.

Improvising tonight. 2 oz. EC 12 year, 1 oz. Sweet Vermouth, 0.5 oz Campari, 0.25 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Fernet Branca. Chilled and strained over ice sphere. Not bad if I do say so myself.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!