What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Try this one, .5 oz blended Scotch whisky, .25 oz each of triple sec and amaretto, 1.0 oz ginger ale.

Deleted by poster. Not sure how to delete a reply.

Edited by tanstaafl2
Moved to it's own thread

2:1 martini

martin miller's westbourne strength gin

m&r dry

dash of angostura orange

IMG_2526_zps2e1c904a.jpg

simple ETL OF

8a1c8518-a9ba-4239-b273-beab76926233_zps0cf89936.jpg

Bloody Marys this morning for my wife and me, using High West Silver oat whiskey in place of the vodka.

2:1 martini

martin miller's westbourne strength gin

m&r dry

dash of angostura orange

Love the gin, hate the vermouth.

vermouth in general or M&R in particular? it's what i had at the time. i'm not a particularly big martini snob or a vermouth expert, i've only really had sweet and dries of noily and M&R.

Recently been trying a lot of the Top Picks cocktails off of Fred Yarm's Cocktail Virgin blog. Some satisfying drinks, and a great way to use up my homemade ingredients to boot.

In honor of some saint, tonight was a more traditional cocktail: the Irish take on a Bijou, a.k.a. a Tipperary.

2 pts. Irish whiskey (Clontarf)

1 pt. green Chartreuse

1 pt. sweet vermouth (Dolin)

vermouth in general or M&R in particular? it's what i had at the time. i'm not a particularly big martini snob or a vermouth expert, i've only really had sweet and dries of noily and M&R.

I'll admit to being a bit of a vermouth snob, but not an expert.

I prefer Dolin or Vya dry with a classic gin martini. M&R in particular, especially if you are going 2:1, is not that tasty. Just one man's opinion, though.

Martin Miller's Westbourne is at the top of my gin list, though. It really sings with a touch of citrus, so I just go for an orange peel or lemon twist!

Still hard to beat Beefeaters, but for a change every now and then Plymouth will do.

The Tipperary was one of the options for my St. Patty's gathering on Saturday evening although I used The Irishman single malt, Carpano Antica, green chartreuse and a touch of rich simple syrup along with a couple of dashes of orange bitters to liven it up a bit. I thought it was quite good and my guests seemed to agree!

But then who doesn't like free drinks...

Recently been trying a lot of the Top Picks cocktails off of Fred Yarm's Cocktail Virgin blog. Some satisfying drinks, and a great way to use up my homemade ingredients to boot.

In honor of some saint, tonight was a more traditional cocktail: the Irish take on a Bijou, a.k.a. a Tipperary.

2 pts. Irish whiskey (Clontarf)

1 pt. green Chartreuse

1 pt. sweet vermouth (Dolin)

Getting back to the Negroni with Martin Miller's Westbourne, Cynar, and Carpano Antica.

A fancy Cameron's Kick tonight and it is insanely good. I only feel a little bit guilty using such quality whiskey in a cocktail. I went with 1 oz. Lag 16, 1 oz. The Irishman Single Malt, 0.5 oz lemon juice, 0.5 oz. orgeat. Shaken and strained into chilled glass with flamed orange peel. The Lag 16 puts this over the top for me.

After watching the gents at Century Bar make Old Fashioneds the other night, I decided to give it a go . I've never been into cocktails, always been a neat, splash, or occasional rocks guy. Made one with SB blend and one with WTR101, liked both, but leaned slightly to the bourbon. I'm thinking next two I'll try OWA and OGD 100 or 114. I can see this being the summer of the Old Fashioned. Any whiskey and/or recipe advice appreciated.

After watching the gents at Century Bar make Old Fashioneds the other night, I decided to give it a go . I've never been into cocktails, always been a neat, splash, or occasional rocks guy. Made one with SB blend and one with WTR101, liked both, but leaned slightly to the bourbon. I'm thinking next two I'll try OWA and OGD 100 or 114. I can see this being the summer of the Old Fashioned. Any whiskey and/or recipe advice appreciated.

I'm surprised you liked the wheated bourbon, as the don't mix well in my opinion. For me, a decent rye or non-wheated bourbon does the trick, and the spice will stand out from the sugar/bitters. Ritt BIB, WT101 rye, OGD 114, BT, or FRSB are all possibilities. I've made some with Saz18 and that was fun.

I keep it simple: drop a sugar cube into a glass, and do two to three dashes of Angostura, enough to saturate the cube. Add a teaspoon of water, and mix/muddle together. Add some large ice cubes and pour two ounces of rye/bourbon over the cube. Stir gently and serve!

For me a heavy rye Bourbon such as Old Grand Dad served the dual purpose of substitution when the recipe calls for either a Rye or a Bourbon.

Getting back to the Negroni with Martin Miller's Westbourne, Cynar, and Carpano Antica.

Technically, not a Negroni but a Gin-Cyn-Cin. I only correct because Campari holds a special place in my heart. (Yet surprisingly, the Negroni does not.)

A fancy Cameron's Kick tonight and it is insanely good. I only feel a little bit guilty using such quality whiskey in a cocktail. I went with 1 oz. Lag 16, 1 oz. The Irishman Single Malt, 0.5 oz lemon juice, 0.5 oz. orgeat. Shaken and strained into chilled glass with flamed orange peel. The Lag 16 puts this over the top for me.

No need to feel guilty. In my opinion, diminishing returns in relation to cocktails doesn't begin to apply until slightly after Lag 16's price point.

Quite right, but I call anything with gin, sweet vermouth, and a bitter amaro a Negroni.

See Gran Classico, Punt a Mes, Cynar, and a more recent favorite, Braulio Alpino!

Quite right, but I call anything with gin, sweet vermouth, and a bitter amaro a Negroni.

See Gran Classico, Punt a Mes, Cynar, and a more recent favorite, Braulio Alpino!

Punt e Mes is a vermouth, not an amaro. I fully support negroni and manhattan variations using the products you list above. Try this Manhattan: 2 oz Rittenhouse BiB, .5 oz Punt e Mes, .25 oz Dolin Sweet, 2 dashes Ango, 1 dash Reagan's Orange bitter, garnished with a flamed orange twist

No need to feel guilty. In my opinion, diminishing returns in relation to cocktails doesn't begin to apply until slightly after Lag 16's price point.

I'm surprised you liked the wheated bourbon, as the don't mix well in my opinion. For me, a decent rye or non-wheated bourbon does the trick, and the spice will stand out from the sugar/bitters. Ritt BIB, WT101 rye, OGD 114, BT, or FRSB are all possibilities. I've made some with Saz18 and that was fun.

I keep it simple: drop a sugar cube into a glass, and do two to three dashes of Angostura, enough to saturate the cube. Add a teaspoon of water, and mix/muddle together. Add some large ice cubes and pour two ounces of rye/bourbon over the cube. Stir gently and serve!

I "invented" another nice one, yesterday. No doubt it has probably been done before, but it came to the top of my cluttered mind and I couldn't rest until I tried it. It came out pretty good.

Basically, I just made a Manhattan cocktail in a tall glass, then filled it with ice cubes and club soda. I thought of the result as a Manhattan Highball.

Tim

Punt e Mes is a vermouth, not an amaro.

I know, I know, thanks for being anal. I was just espousing some ingredients I regularly swap out for the traditional vermouth and Campari. I should have mentioned Byrrh in there as well.

Your manhattan recipe sounds decent!

Last night I thought I invented The White Negroni using Kina Avion D'Or, but turns out it was already invented and published by the Washington Post.

Let me start by saying that this is a cocktail somewhat born of necessity. One of my employees bought be a bottle of Jagermeister for my birthday, because she knows I am fond of black licorice (and she was overwhelmed by the whiskey aisle).

I do occasionally enjoy a shot of Jag right out of the freezer, but the sickly-sweet finish kind of kills it for me. So I tried adding some rye (Dickel, at first). I mixed about 4:1 rye:Jag. Actually it's pretty tasty! I'm still experimenting to find the right ratio.

Anyone have any ideas on garnishes and presentation? I would think a lemon twist might be decent. Any other ingredients I should add? I tried Angostura bitters which was interesting, but I find I prefer it without.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!