A Gap in the Heaven Hill Stable

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm a big fan of Heaven Hill whiskey, including all the usual suspects that are lauded around here: RittBIB, EC12, EC18 (when you could get it... more on that in a moment), the EWSB series. I've had several pours of the Parker's Heritage Cognac in a bar, and I loved it.

First and foremost I love HH for the quality of the whiskey, but I also love the economy of what they are doing: of the current offerings that I regularly buy and love (EC12, EWSB, EC12, etc.) they are all under $30, or close to it.

But that brings me to my question: why doesn't Heaven Hill offer anything which one might classify as "premium"? I mean something that is regularly available, but which has a little more age, or is a little more "special".

To give you an idea of way I am thinking of, two corresponding offerings from other distilleries might be:

+ Blanton's from BT... It's a single barrel, reputed to be be 7-10 years, but even disregarding the possible age (which is only guesswork, since it is ultimately NAS) it is regarded as "special" and selected from among the "honey barrels" of that BT mash bill.

+ Kentucky Spirit from WT... This bottle has declined in reputation this board, but the idea is still, as I understand it, the step up from the "regular" WT101.

Elijah Craig 18 used to fill this niche: single barrel, extra aged and available year round. But Malt Advocate put an end to that for us.

I suppose VOF also qualifies, but it's rare as hen's teeth. I've never seen it, even in KY.

Maybe it's just an issue of Heaven Hill being too generous: you could make a case that Evan Williams Single Barrel is in the same league as Blanton's or WTKS, it's just not as pricey. In fact, I would make that case. I like it just as well as Blanton's (never has WTKS). Maybe I'm just being distracted by the price point. Could be. Wouldn't be the first time I've been distracted.

But maybe what I wish Heaven Hill offered were some other products that were a bit more "special".

Some ideas?

+ Rittenhouse Rye 10 Year Old. You could make this a single barrel offering, or a "small batch" compiled of some of the best barrels.

+ I'd really like to see EC18 return, but if not, what about a bottle that was basically EC12, with a dollop of 14 yr, 16 yr, 18 yr and 20 yr for good measure? Kind of like a HH "Rare Breed".

+ A regular offering that was barrel conditioned a la Parker's Heritage Cognac (or Angel's Envy). Let us have some EWSB that was aged in Cognac barrels, or in premium rum barrels, or something like that. Obviously purists would't be into this, and that's fine. But I'd love to see the innovation, and I'd pay to try it, too.

Anyway, something to think on and discuss.

Edited by Parkersback

I know what you mean. Just yesterday I was buying a pair of shoes for $80 and I wasn't sure if they were expensive enough. They looked good and felt right, but I was expecting to pay up to $120. It just felt weird.

If you insist .. just make a trip to the gift shop at the distillery and take money .. plenty of it. You can usually pick up some rare, aged beauties they have for sale only in the gift shop. And I've never found them bashful about accepting your money!

With Blanton's being my favorite whiskey, and WTKS (particularly dark tops) being my number two, I definitely agree with the OP, and I find those pours superior to EWSB. Maybe a Larceny will eventually be available as an older spinoff value offering in that range in another 5-6 years?

Elijah Craig 18 used to fill this niche: single barrel, extra aged and available year round. But Malt Advocate put an end to that for us.

Last I checked Malt Advocate does not own or make decisions for Heaven Hill.

I think you are trying to make mountains out of molehills. HH has a wide variety of offerings. How about a single barrel at barrel proof lineup from HH? With a label along the the lines of KBD's Willett where the proof and age can be written. Could be coming soon; label already approved by TTB.

I would prefer a fully matured barrel proof in the regular line up. I believe single barrel is not necessary as this just adds to the cost without markedly improving the product.

Last I checked Malt Advocate does not own or make decisions for Heaven Hill.

I think you are trying to make mountains out of molehills. HH has a wide variety of offerings. How about a single barrel at barrel proof lineup from HH? With a label along the the lines of KBD's Willett where the proof and age can be written. Could be coming soon; label already approved by TTB.

As regards the Malt Advocate thing, it was more of a joke than anything. I know they don't make decisions for HH. HH seems to have taken the publicity garnered by that special barrel of EC20 being named Whisky of the Year and run with it, and you cannot blame them for that. Maybe the disappearance of EC18 isn't related to Malt Advocate naming EC20 WOTY, but it appears that it is related (they announced it on the new labels of EC20) but of course I don't really know.

I hope I'm not making any mountains out of molehills. I'm a big fan of HH, as already stated. I'm just making conversation, though maybe I'm doing it clumsily.

Edited by Parkersback

I suspect Pappy prices had more influence on HH's marketing plan.

Edited by squire

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.