Gettin to meet the, "Big Cheese"

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got ta meet the Big Cheese the other day...

It was Wednesday night...I get home from work around 1:30 or so...I have this e-mail message...It's from Jim...say's URGENT...I open it and he say's that his brother is in Bardstown call him when I get home...I called---When I get excited...I talk really loud and laugh really loud---So's, not to wake everybody in the house, I go out on the deck to talk to Jim...It's 2 in the morning and Jim is tellin me that his brother Dave is in town and could I give him a tour?...Well HELL yes I give the BIG CHEESE OF Straightbourbon.com a personal tour of Heaven Hill...Then he tells me that his wife and son will be there...Oh No blush.gif I realize that I havta behave...(that's a joke)...(just kiddin)...anyway...back to the subject...

I got up early to clean the top grease off and fix my mop...Called Dave ---they were staying at the General Nelson---and made the arrangements...Just as soon as Dave spoke, I knew he was Jim's brother...they have very distincitive voices...I told him that right off the bat...

I get in touch with Bill Osborne, Superintendent of bottling operartions at Heaven Hill...I asked him, to make arrangements for Dave, his wife and son to meet with Max...He told me that he would take care of it...Every favor I have asked Bill to do, he has granted me...

It's finally time and I go to the Gen. Nelson and up pulls Dave and his family...As soon as I see him, I know that it's Jim's brother...I shake his hand and "held on" to get a really good look into his eyes...I tell him, how much they look alike...He says that he hears that all the time but...then he leans over toward me and say's I have more hair grin.gif...

Before we left to tour Heaven Hill...I had some special "stuff" to give to him and a special "gift" for him to give to Jim when he gets home...The best part for me was telling him "Thank You" for Straighborbon.com...Jim knows, I appreciate all the work that he does here, but it was really nice to meet the man "behind the scenes" and look him in the eye and give my sincere THANKS...

Jim has talked about Dave, so much, that I feel that I know him...I guess I should have told him that...

Well Hell, it will take forever to write everthing that we did that day...I hope they had a good time...I tried, to show em eveything...Took em places where only a mechanic goes...They had a really speical tour...They got to see up close every aspect of bottling bourbon...got to meet the owner and President...and a spcial visit into the lab with Tawnie to show em the inside makins of bourbon...I think it lasted about 1 1/2 hours...

Dave ya gotta come back and meet "all of rest of Straightbourbon.com" in September...They are some of the best folks around...We are a very tight little place here and you should come and join in on this once a year "Time of ya life"...event with all of us grin.gifgrin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo Boone grin.gifgrin.gif

How Cool! The Bardstown unit at it again. I can say it is always a treat for me any time I can participate. Any visitor here will get a good tour and treatment when BettyeJo greets them. grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

All the above is very true lol.gif Bettye Jo was gracious enough to deal with my last minute request, and show my family some real southern hospitality. All her actions were far above and beyond the call of duty, and very much appreciated. I just wish I could have been there ... sounds like Dave got a better tour than I did. Must be the hair.

You're a classy lady Bettye Jo, here's to ya toast.gif

Bettye Jo -

First let me apologize for taking so long to reply to your post. We were travelling nearly a month and a lot of things required my attention when I got back, so it was bit hectic.

Second, let me apologize for the short notice on our visit. We hadn't actually planned to visit bourbon country at all, but when I realized it was only a short detour away, I called Jim. He encouraged us to go to Bardstown and then he called you. (In other words, it's Jim's fault!).

All of us immensely enjoyed the personal "mechanics" tour you gave us. Even my wife Joanne, who doesn't drink bourbon and normally has little interest machinery, found it fascinating. It was certainly a special tour - I don't know about Kentucky, but in California Cal-OSHA would have had a fit if they found us in some of the places you took us to!

It was also great to meet Max, but I have to admit my brain was on vacation. In my shorts and tennies I didn't quite know what to say to him!

Most important, we were all impressed by your warmth and friendliness - made us feel right at home. Thanks again for all the time and the extra effort you put into our tour. I'm hoping to make it to the Bourbon Festival this year and look forward to seeing you again there.

Dave

Well, Well, Well...

Jump back Jack grin.gifgrin.gif likda knocked me outta my chair grin.gif...I saw the Big Cheese and knew it must be you grin.gif...

You are very welcome grin.gifgrin.gif I do hope ya get to come this September...I have a few "extra" plans that I have been working on...

I have a few comitments from some of my special guest but have yet to corner the rest...When I'm finished I hope it will be a event to remember...If I don't succeed blush.gif...Well hell tongue.gif...We'll have a good time anyway...

Jim will fill ya in as soon as I complete everything...

"The Big Cheese" (I'm a grin.gif grinnin grin.gif real big right now)...High Five to ya Dave lol.giflol.gif Thanks, for bein the "Big Cheese" and providing us this wonderful playgroud...I've been here (member) for 3 years...I have created some really wonderful friendships...for that "Kind Sir" my sincerest grattitude grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Sincerely,

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

Hey big Cheese (heh!),

I know this is a bit off topic for this thread but I had to say it:

Thanx, Man.

Tom (your friendly neighborhood Moderator) C

• 3 weeks later...

You're certainly welcome, but (as you can tell by how rarely I participate) I've really contributed very little. The thanks should all go to Jim, all I've done is encourage him in various ways.

Dave

Dave,

The thanks should all go to Jim, all I've done is encourage him in various ways.

Between you and Jim, ya'll have provided the bandwidth and the ability... grin.gif Without both, I would have no idea which liquor store to go to tonight, to buy my Birthday Bourbon! Both of ya rock! toast.gif

Hope you'll be joining us in the Gazebo.

Bj

1) Bettye Jo is lucky

2) we are ALL lucky to have Bettye Jo here

3) we ALL owe very much to both of our "BIG CHEESE" Butler brothers for not only bringing us together but adding to our joint knowledge of bourbon

4) I'll be looking up both Jim and Bettye Jo on Sept. 20 for our next Bardstown visit -- I hope all SB.com members can attend Chuck's session as a meeting place (of course JO and I can always see Bettye Jo in the booth!)

Greg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.