Johnny Walker Black Label

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ed, what I had meant, Ardbeg would scare off a "non-scotch-drinking bourbon-lover"! I say this for the same reasons you do but I rarely combine the two in one evening because it's like eating an apple after an orange or vice versa.

By the way, you have great taste - similar to mine if I may be so bold - with the exception that I would remove the Laphroaig and substitute Talisker, which has the longest finish in the world and therefore worth every penny! grin.gif

Bourbon and Islay head to head is one of my favourite games. Especially good Islays vs. overstrength Pappy or the Antique collection. Its like Bruce Lee vs. Sugar Ray Leonard. They got different moves but they're both great.

I think the scotch whisky industry takes it as an article of faith that malts are still very much a specialty business. I don't know the exact numbers but I think single malt represents only 5% or so of worldwide scotch whisky sales. That figure is growing and the proportion of malt sales in places accustomed to spirits clearly will grow faster than in areas which are relatively new to whisky. Hence the fall-off perhaps of interest in Johnnie Walker in some areas in favour of single malts priced not that differently and which offer the full taste associated with single malt whisky. But in large parts of the world the blends still rule, I believe this is so in parts of the far east, in Southern Europe and indeed still in the U.S.. I am sure Dewar's and Ballantine still sell in much greater numbers than any single malt even though the latter are a growing and influential part of the business. I think there is and will always be a good market for specialty or designer blends such as those produced by Compass Box Whiskies (see www.compassboxwhisky.com), for the high end commercial blends such as Johnnie Walker Gold and JW Black too of course and the excellent blends of moderate price such as Famous Grouse, Ballantine and others. But the business is I think, in general, going more towards the premium end in all categories - and I see this starting to happen in bourbon too as we discussed recently on the board. Oddly, in Canada people seem satisfied with almost the same range of Canadian whisky one saw in 1990, 1970, 1960 (not 1950 because in that year there was still some straight whisky, bourbon-type and rye, being sold in this country). This is partly because of an inherent conservatism here in such matters and partly that those willing to experiment spend their money on bourbon and scotch! But if the makers don't give us many choices at the top end, the money will go elsewhere, my point being though Canadians seem by and large satisfied with the regular run of Canadian (blended) whisky that has been available, pretty much unchanged, for generations..

Gary

But in large parts of the world the blends still rule, I believe this is so in parts of the far east, in Southern Europe and indeed still in the U.S.

Gary, that was exactly what I was going to suggest. You simply took the words straight out of my mouth.

I live in a (by Swedish standards) comparatively large university town. Maybe that accounts for something?

Do Swedes have a more established whisky culture? Maybe, but what I do know for sure is that every time I treat my father to a whisky he always goes on about how whisky used be held in such a low esteem when he was young(er) and that Cognac was THE drink to have on display in your liquor cabinet if you wanted to appear high-brow.

Thanks, by the way, for your commendation on Gold label. This has long been on my "Shouldn´t I try this soon?"-list. As for the Red label, it seems like an eternity since I gulped this down. I wouldn´t even dare to pass any comment.

The Gold Label is very good, malty, rich, complex, hard to beat when one is looking for a stylish but full dram of whisky. Regarding Sweden, the university presence in your town probably contributes to the increased interest in malts. Universities are repositories of international ideas (or should be). People who teach, and study, travel more than most others, so they would bump up against things such as single malt whisky. Also, Sweden in general has had - together with an ambivalent attitude towards alcohol -a rich history of making and drinking spirits. It makes sense Swedes would take an interest in the spirits of other Northern European countries including Scotland. As for brandy, the attitudes you described whereby scotch was derided by many in favour of brandy were characteristic of many European countries and even of England. The "de rigueur" spirit on the English drinks tray until well into the 20th century was brandy. Brandy, brandy and soda, brandy and water, even brandy and ginger (favoured by upwardly mobile rock groups in the early 1970's - "brandy and ginger, old boy!" declaimed Keith Moon (rather too often, unfortunately)) were a staple of the smart set. Only in Scotland (and special U.K. institutions such as the Army and Colonial Service) did the establishment favor whisky and not feel lesser as a result. (Good for them). But finally whisky gained ascendancy and, sweetest of victories, to a considerable degree in France itself. "Boire le whisky c'est tres chic, n'est-ce pas?" smile.gif

Gary

Dave, I love Talisker too! One great malt I'm probably going to start keeping on hand all the time, since every time I try it, I am impressed with just how ggod it is. And I have not even opened my bottle of Talisker 25, cask strength yet. grin.giflol.gif Others I like are Springbank 21 (holding my stashed bottles awhile longer yet), Ledaig 15 (but not that Ledaig 1974 aka Ledaig 20), the one Rare Malts Brora I've had (1975, 20 YO, cask strength), Port Ellens (several really good ones, including a Scott's Selection 1976, 21 YO), Bowmores that are not FWPed, and Caol Ila (have the Caol Ila 12 YO open now, an 18 YO in reserve and an old Flora & Fauna 15 YO waiting for a special time). I also like Highland Park 18 (the 12 is good as well), Clynelish 14 (just something about this I like), and quite a few others. Of course, my taste may be very bad: I am apparently one of the few souls who liked the Old Fettercairn 10 (it tasted very 'nutty' to me) and I find the Isle of Jura offerings to be drinkable, especially the Superstition, which has some peat. Anyway, I would pay you the same compliment: you have good taste in whisk(e)y! Cheers, Ed

Sion, good to hear there is another person who likes the fireworks of going from a powerful Islay to an overproof bourbon and vice versa. I can certainly see why most folks would rather not, but the fighters analogy is right on. And I find it helps me pick out things in the tastes that I would otherwise never get. I'm miserable at tasting camphor, etc. in whisk(e)y, but comparing two head-to-head gives me the most pleasure unless I'm just with friends and we are BS'ing and drinking. Then it doesn't matter if it's just one brand of one type of whisk(e)y. It's all good! Cheers, Ed V.

Ed,

I also enjoy sitting around with friends drinking whisky and chatting nonsense. It's always fun to pull out the big guns, from either region (Islay / Kentucky) just when people think it can't get any more intense. Old Grandad 114 vs. Caol Ila, GTS vs. Ardbeg Very Young. It *is* all good smile.gif

Your spot on about the contrast too. After chewing on Tarmac and seaweed, its nice to have a stack of maple syrup drenched pancakes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.