Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale

PozzSka
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a bottle of this at a bar yesterday (my cousin works there, so we stopped by to pay him the patronage)...they only had flavored bourbon liquor type stuff (Red Stag, etc.) and Jack Daniels.

I wasn't particularly bourbon-y, it seemed a pretty standard moderately high hop, bitter ale.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I would have ordered another had we hung around longer. They had far better on tap available, but wanted to give it a go.

Anyone else try this?

I had a bottle of this at a bar yesterday (my cousin works there, so we stopped by to pay him the patronage)...they only had flavored bourbon liquor type stuff (Red Stag, etc.) and Jack Daniels.

I wasn't particularly bourbon-y, it seemed a pretty standard moderately high hop, bitter ale.

Not bad, but I'm not sure I would have ordered another had we hung around longer. They had far better on tap available, but wanted to give it a go.

Anyone else try this?

I have to disagree with the trend of thread. I like the bourbon barrel ale. I think alltech does beer pretty well. The whiskey was questionable whenI tried it but pretty sure it was sourced whiskey at the time. It sounds like those that have tasted it recently think it is going in the right direction. <smack myself, back on topic> I am looking forward to trying the stout that recently came out.

Mike

I don't find their beer to be offensively bad or anything. Just pretty generic and uninspiring, really. We have two lil breweries in Lex alone that just blow them out of the water. Not to mention the great ones in Louisville and other parts of the state, too. Just not to my taste, I suppose.

I really like the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. I can't buy it in Michigan. When I have it and share it with friends, everyone really likes it.

I got a ticket yesterday to purchase Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout at the end of March on its release date. I can't wait to try that one.

Generally speaking, Alltech anything just ain't that great.

Gotta agree. Nothing over the top and way too many other bourbon finished brews out there that makes it easy to pass on Alltech KBBA.

I got a ticket yesterday to purchase Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout at the end of March on its release date. I can't wait to try that one.

Gotta agree. Nothing over the top and way too many other bourbon finished brews out there that makes it easy to pass on Alltech KBBA.

I like KBBA but I haven't had any of the other beers finished in bourbon barrels. Suggestions?

• 1 month later...
I like KBBA but I haven't had any of the other beers finished in bourbon barrels. Suggestions?

I thought the KBBA was terrible, but I really liked Rocky's Revenge by Tyranena Brewing.

We had some at a restaurant in Lexington last July, and it was fantastic.

Bought 2 sixes at a liquor store to take home, and the bottles were just ho-hum.

Must have been the ambiance.

Vosgar the best one to me is Founder's Backwoods Bastard. Only release in limited quantities in the fall.

Are you sure you bought the same beer? Kentucky Ale/Alltech's bourbon barrel ale is only offered in 4 packs. Schlafly has a bourbon barrel ale that is similar and offered in 6 packs.

• 2 months later...

Some bars will also have the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale on tap. In Cambridge, MA - Mead Hall has 100 beers on tap, with the correct glasses for each type of beer, and they'll usually have 2 or 3 bourbon barrel finished beers on offer, in addition a very good Whiskey selection including reasonably priced Vintage 17yo. Plus their Pork Rinds are awesome. (my office is in the same building as theirs so I'm there entirely too often). I find I love the sweetness that barrel aging gives to an ale. Super tasty and very quaffable. Heavy Seas makes several barrel-aged beers that are usually worth trying. They change every year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.