Wheated vs. Non-Wheated, Comprehensive List?

juliusrocco
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess we have to add Virginia Gentleman to the "Wheated" list. I inquired about their formula and received the following reply:

Dear Sir,

Virginia Gentleman was originally made with rye but when we

moved our plant and changed our process we changed to wheat.

Joe Dangler

V.P. Production

Distiller

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

When did they do that?

And I guess that means they haven't been buying their low wines from Heaven Hill (since HH only just now started making wheaties), so where are they buying it from?

Say... I know a little distillery just outside of Frankfort...

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Sorry John, Virginia Gentleman moved its distillery in 1988 according to my notes and that is only 13 years ago.

Mike Veach

Heaven Hill has always sold bulk whiskey, but they didn't do contract distilling as such. The difference is that with contract distilling, the principal dictates the mash bill, the distillation proof, everything. Barton and Buffalo Trace are two distilleries that, at least in the past, have done contract distilling. One of them might be the source.

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck if the 90 proof "Fox" bottling is wheated I'll eat the label! Horses; hounds, and all. Then I would be just as happy to proclaim it the best wheated bourbon I've ever tasted.

I do remember the red label 80 proofer as despicable.I would not be surprised to learn that this is what Maker's Mark does with it's sub-standard barrels.

Will you lovers of the wheat taste them both and render a verdict?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. smile.gif Will Travel.

• 3 months later...
Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Mashbill has been patiently waiting for me to eat the label of the "Fox" bottling of Virginia Gentleman.

"Well I drank it down under the table.......Watch me now I'm gonna eat the label!" {Frank Zappa 1976 from Wonderful Wino off the Zoot Allures album}

Munch>> Munch>> Chew>> Chew>> Chew>> Gulp!****All Gone.****

Don't get it???

Well then read my article on Virginia Gentleman's A. Smith Bowman Distillery in this months edition of "The Bourbon Country Reader".

Don't have a subscription to the "Reader"? Better surf on over to Chuck Cowdery's website and sign on up. You'll be glad you did. Then go out and enjoy a bottle of the "Fox". You'll be even happier still. Best wheater I've ever tasted!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.