Dickel Rye Not Delayed

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are they aging this stuff in full-sized barrels, or little (say, 10 or 15 gallon) ones? You'll often get a "green," "pine needle," or "even "minty/wintergreen" note out of whiskeys aged faster in small barrels.

It was distilled and barrled at MGPI (formerly known as LDI or Seagram Lawrencburg or Rossville Union) so it was full size barrels. The Rye whiskey distilled there and known under many labels often has minty wintergreen notes...a few, like me, do not care for its mouthwash similarity :bigeyes: :grin: .

Are they aging this stuff in full-sized barrels, or little (say, 10 or 15 gallon) ones? You'll often get a "green," "pine needle," or "even "minty/wintergreen" note out of whiskeys aged faster in small barrels.

The Prichards Tennessee Rye is done in smaller barrels. Not sure the size but bottle does mention a smaller barrel.

Mike

Seems to be the opinion of BT that small barrels make lousy whiskey. They published something last year that commented on their small barrel experiments.

Mike

I seem to be in the minority on this one,but I find the Dickel to be quite a bit different than the Bulleit and Willett ryes.I don't know if it's the filtering that makes that much of a change in profile,but I find it to be much softer and not just due to the proof.I have found the Dickel to contain a sweeter and lighter fruit,maybe even citric notes as apposed to dill,the mint is still there but subdued in my tastes.The Dickel rye was something I was not expecting much from but figuring price point and over all quality of the whiskey,I think it's a great deal.I guess in the future I need to keep my expectations down regarding new releases,maybe I will never be disappointed again from here on out.:lol:

I tried a pour of this at a bar the other night, and was relatively impressed, for how young it tastes. Is Dickel distilling this themselves? For me the biggest difference between this and other young ryes was how much softer the rye "evergreen/mint" thing was. It was really different and enjoyable, a sweet, fruity, not quite as minty/spicy rye but really good. I'd keep a bottle on hand and I'd absolutely love to try it at a greater age.

Edited by ErichPryde

I tried a pour of this at a bar the other night, and was relatively impressed, for how young it tastes. Is Dickel distilling this themselves? For me the biggest difference between this and other young ryes was how much softer the rye "evergreen/mint" thing was. It was really different and enjoyable, a sweet, fruity, not quite as minty/spicy rye but really good. I'd keep a bottle on hand and I'd absolutely love to try it at a greater age.

After initially having little more than a passing interest in this, I am now starting to get that whiskirexia nervosa induced fidgety twitch to hunt down this bottle, after hearing some of y'alls tasting reports on it... :crazy:

Mrssmokinjoe will be so pleased to hear this...

After initially having little more than a passing interest in this, I am now starting to get that whiskirexia nervosa induced fidgety twitch to hunt down this bottle, after hearing some of y'alls tasting reports on it... :crazy:

I can bring mine to the next GBS event (hopefully this month!) and try to help relieve your symptoms...

To me, it's interesting that the Dickel Rye never got within 100 miles of Tennessee, except whatever is being sold there. Although, in fairness, the charcoal that they used to filter it through in Plainfield, IL, came from Tennessee.

Edited by cowdery

Got a bottle of Dickel Rye today. $20. This is the exact flavor profile as the Bulleit Rye but with that nice Dickel charcoal addition. It's less edgy and more refined but still presents itself as a younger very-high-rye-content rye whiskey. I'm going to guess it's 4-6 years old. Very good stuff for the price and a good alternative for those of us that like Bulleit Rye or any of the other MGP/LDI ryes.

That description and price moves me a lot closer to the yes column. If they get this brand in Alabama I might have a shot.

Picked up a bottle in Madison last weekend. This is good, similar to Bulleit Rye, and is certainly worth the slightly over $20 it cost me. I have yet to compare it directly against Bulleit Rye.

I do not think Dickel is too popular in Alabama. Had cousin who ran the one in Camden, Alabama. Said she could hardly give it away.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.