Dickel Rye Not Delayed

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know Dickel is primarily sold in the South, perhaps Alabama is the exception.

Back to the rye, it is a good drink. Poured myself some the other night and wasn't really thinking about it when I took the first swig and it was, in fact, a swig. "Wow," thought I, "that's a lot of flavor." More mint, almost wintergreen, than standard MGPI rye. That doesn't mean the charcoal put mint in, but rather that it stripped away something the absence of which made the mint pop.

Sighted in Hawaii, and at the better price, too! I thought about picking it up, but had my heart set on some more discounted EWSB 2002. I guess I'd better go back and spring for a bottle to complete my low-end Dickel set (Dickel 8 & Dickel 12).

Got a bottle of Dickel Rye today. $20. This is the exact flavor profile as the Bulleit Rye but with that nice Dickel charcoal addition. It's less edgy and more refined but still presents itself as a younger very-high-rye-content rye whiskey. I'm going to guess it's 4-6 years old. Very good stuff for the price and a good alternative for those of us that like Bulleit Rye or any of the other MGP/LDI ryes.

Just got it last night when the rep dropped by. They're just now beginning to roll it out in North Florida. My tasting notes are pretty much dead on with yours, Ethan. I posted them last night in the "What Rye Are You Drinking.." thread. The charcoal mellowing gave it away in a blind tasting with Bulleit and Baby Saz. I think it's going to be around $23-$24 here ... a good buy. BTW .. rep tells me their big states are in the south and Alabama on top of the list for what it's worth.

Just because a couple of boys from Alabama and Mississippi don't know any Dickel drinkers it doesn't mean they know the market. After all, we are connoisseurs for the most part.

If I ever get through my bottle of Ritt I'll give this stuff a shot.

Edited by smknjoe

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. but only recently tried it. I think it is similar to the other ryes from Lawrenceburg such as Bulleit, or Willett. It seems like there is almost no alcohol burn for 90 proof; maybe from maple charcoal filtering. It's also sort of sweet, but not cloying. I like it. I'm glad Dickel bottled this at 90, and aged the whiskey enough.

To me, the best thing about it is the price. Just makes me think that all of these independents who take the same whiskey and charge $50 for it have an unsustainable business model.

To me, the best thing about it is the price. Just makes me think that all of these independents who take the same whiskey and charge $50 for it have an unsustainable business model.

1+ and I couldn't agree more,it's nice to have another product on the shelf in the low $20 under a major label that is this good and widely available.

• 4 weeks later...

Good product. Definitely shows the LDI pedigree - that "Blue Tide" scent and taste I always get in its ryes - but the maple charcoal treatment post-dumping does add a certain something. Excellent value.

Plus, I can see this would make an excellent Manhattan.

Gary

Oh yes, like a fresh sea breeze. It's unmistakeable IMO.

Gary

I saw this on a shelf in a store here today. We have #12 and Special barrel reserve too but no #8!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked some up. I like it quite a bit. Nice complexity of flavors and great finish with noticeable toasty oak.

Now I'm having it with some Sprite. It's a really nice mixer too.

I've heard that rye is always a good mixer. I don't know why that is, but it seems to be true.

The flavor is there, but subtle, and compliments the lemon/lime sweetness of the soft drink perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this for a month and a half now, enjoying about 4 pours. Today, I notice it has opened up. Rather than tasting the muted or muffled taste I had ascribed to post-barrel charcoal-filtering, that off-flavor has vanished and I am really enjoying this bottle. I haven't hit it for a couple weeks and it's better now. Sweeter, fruitier and spicier. I guess I'm liking ryes. The flavor was delayed!

Edited by MauiSon

I'm still learning to appreciate and identify the differences between bourbon and rye. This is all new to me. I now have three different ryes, Dickel, WT 81, and JB 80. Now that I have tasted all three I can honestly say they are similar, and I could pretty easily be able to taste a rye next to a bourbon and quickly tell which is which. I like the Dickel best of the three. So far, these are the only ryes I have ever tasted.

To you seasoned professionals this probably sounds very elementary, but to me it's a big deal.

I can now even taste different bourbons and identify which bottle they came from. I could not have done that even three weeks ago.

I really like rye whisky in general, but the mint in this Dickel Rye is overwhelming to me. Too much I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.