Burn's Night

bonneamie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Once a year, I drag myself across the ocean (figuratively) to drink Scotch. This coming Saturday, January 26, is the annual event, a Burn's Night dinner. Quoting an article in the NYT: "What's not to love about a holiday that celebrates a poet? Or one that demands generous quantities of whisky?"

On our agenda, poetry recitation and scotch drinking. Review to follow!

And myself and my Bride will be there with scotch whisky, scotish kale soup, poetry and to celebrate not only Burn's birthday but secretly another, (please don't ask who)

So is haggis still on the menu? And are cameras allowed?:skep:

When my son was small I fed him some haggis at a Burn's dinner without telling him what it was. He liked it and going on 20 years later still does. Kid won't eat broccoli but likes haggis, go figure.

Is haggis on the menu? Oscar, it's Burn's Night! Someone can recite the ode to the chieftan o'the puddin' race.

Learn something new everyday. Did not know anything about this. I need to get more cultured I guess.

Thanks for sharing and have a great time.

Best regards, Tony

On the table were the following:

Blends: Dewars white lable and 12 yo, Johnnie Walker red and black, Drambuie

Single Malts: Ardbeg 10 yo and Uigedail, Springbank 15 yo, Lagavulin 12 yo, Glenrothes 1998 vintage.

As far as I recall, they all tasted pretty good for Scotch ...

Give us some more details about your party Amy. This is the first I have ever heard of a Burn's Night event. Is it just a convenient excuse to get together with friends and enjoy good scotch whisky and food? How do you incorporate the life and writings of Burns into the soiree? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim, Burns' night dinners are held on or about January 26th to celebrate the birth date and life of Robert Burns, the National Poet of Scotland, and have been held continuously around the World for over two hundred years now wherever people of Scottish descent have settled.

A recent Burns dinner was hosted in your area by the Caledonian Society of Kansas City, Missouri, which was first organized in 1869 and has been holding Burns dinners annually since their founding.

I was unable to attend due my Bride's illness.

I like to think I have something in common with Robert Burns, my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Burns and my birthday is only one day later.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.