&%#@ Wax Seals

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried searching and didn't see any posts about this, sorry if its been done before but.. I just spent 20 minutes trying to open a bottle of Willett Single Barrel Family Estate, tht included slicing my hand open. I know it looks nice but what a pain in the ass! It should be easier to open a bottle of bourbon. Those wax seals can really drive me insane!

Do the Willett bottles have a little tab to pull? I've added a pair of pliers to my bar equipment just to open bottles of Knob Creek. The miniature wax sealed bottles are particularly obnoxious.

They do but some of them are waxed over and very hard. I tried pliers but the tab broke off. At least the bourbon was excellent once I did get it open

As an astute member of the whiskey community has shared, temper the wax seal with some warm water. Much easier to remove either with the "rip cord" or by cutting with a knife. When using a knife, cut away from your hand!

There was a run of ETL a few years ago that had gold wax and was actually worse than the Willett epoxy....err...wax.

The absolute worst are the blue wax A.H. Hirsch 20 year capsules! After opening one of those I just think, "Why do I even bother?"

I tried searching and didn't see any posts about this, sorry if its been done before but.. I just spent 20 minutes trying to open a bottle of Willett Single Barrel Family Estate, tht included slicing my hand open. I know it looks nice but what a pain in the ass! It should be easier to open a bottle of bourbon. Those wax seals can really drive me insane!

Agreed. Plus, trips to the emergency room are much easier to deal with if you had the bottle open beforehand!

I refuse to open one of those when I'm in a good mood. They're like the child proof tops that only a child can open.

The absolute worst are the blue wax A.H. Hirsch 20 year capsules! After opening one of those I just think, "Why do I even bother?"

First world problem right there.

Bragplaint.

Just sayin'. :)

There was a run of ETL a few years ago that had gold wax and was actually worse than the Willett epoxy....err...wax.

I agree Steve. I found a couple of those a long time ago. When I opened the first one, I had itty bitty, hard, gold wax pieces scattered all over the kitchen. :rolleyes: I fared a little better on the second bottle. Put a plastic bag over it when I opened it up. :grin:

I've only had one Willett bottle and I couldn't believe how much of a pain it was to open. Glad to hear I'm at least in good company!

Not a run, ETL was bottled with Gold Wax for a long time. Actually several of us at a BT event complained about it and suggested going to same as Weller Centennial and they listened and changed it.

Bragplaint.

Just sayin'. :)

Aww, shucks. I was just kidding. I don't think I'll ever get to open one of those, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

BUT! This is coming from the guy who posts something like, "I've got so much 60's S-W Old Fitzgerald I don't know how I'm going to get it all home!" :)

FWIW, the hot water trick worked OK for me with a recent Willett bottle. It was still being finicky, so I held it over a gas burner for a few seconds. Sounds like the makings of a Darwin Award (especially considering it was 140+ proof), but it worked pretty well!

I've opened numerous Willetts and have only had an issue one time.

Lucky perhaps???

I've only had an issue once as well. And it's pretty easy to stick a butter knife (least likely to cut ya) under the wax seal and pry it off rather than trying to cut around the cork.

I feel ya, struggled with my A.H. Hirsch 20 year for 5 minutes, then gave up and threw the bottle away. Just not worth the effort!

I have found that starting the tab and using anything such as a nut pick,commonly used for walnut extraction will work quite well. I use this to score the wax seems to it seems fit the bill for me.I also have found some bottles that the wax is rock hard that you just have to fight your way through and seem to explode like shards of glass no matter what you do.

... and further, I tries to recycle the wax in a candle and it just wouldn't burn - the candle won't burn with bottle-sealing wax. Any one have a recycling purpose for that wax? Maybe hair removal or letter-sealing?

... and further, I tries to recycle the wax in a candle and it just wouldn't burn - the candle won't burn with bottle-sealing wax. Any one have a recycling purpose for that wax? Maybe hair removal or letter-sealing?

That's because it really isn't wax. I think most of them are closer to some form of plastic/polymer than actual wax. I've yet to run across any "wax" on a wax sealed bottle that actually acted like wax.

~SW

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.