Recommendatons

onewman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a friend that I am help building a scotch collection. I'm currently looking to recommend a Highland and slay in the $40.00 range. My personal favorites would be a Glenmorangie 10 year and a Lagavulin 10 year. What are your thoughts?

One of my favorite Scotches in the $40 range is Ardmore Traditional Cask. It is a real gem at that price.

Start him with the McClelland line, where he can get both a Highland and a Speyside for about that price.

One of my favorite Scotches in the $40 range is Ardmore Traditional Cask. It is a real gem at that price.

Pretty good recommendation with the Ardmore and actually I find it under $30 all the time,tough to beat at those prices.

I have a friend that I am help building a scotch collection. I'm currently looking to recommend a Highland and slay in the $40.00 range. My personal favorites would be a Glenmorangie 10 year and a Lagavulin 10 year. What are your thoughts?

There's no Lagavulin 10, but both the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 are essential.

Bruichladdich Laddie Ten is a great Islay option that in some ways drinks more like a Highland.

Man, you're gonna want to cry when I tell you that there's one place around here that has been selling ATC for $20!! I bought so much of the stuff that I'm burning out on it just from consuming a case or more in the last six months. But it really is a fine whiskey.

There's no Lagavulin 10, but both the Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg 10 are essential.

Unfortunately for us, the Ardbeg 10 is now consistently in the $55-$65 range around here after many years in the low $40's. But who can argue with Laphroaig 10 for $40?

If you're looking to buy one bottle at a time and want a true Highland malt (as opposed to a Speyside), you can't go wrong with Clynelish 14 or Old Pulteney 12. If you enjoy Glenmorangie 10, you should really like these two, though the Clynelish is generally mid-$40's or so. I know of a place around here that sells the OP12 for $25 :bigeyes: which is a ridiculously good price.

For Highland, I'd go for an Aberfeldy 12 and for Islay, a Bunnahabhain 12, both are very approachable drams for around 40 bucks a bottle. The Aberfeldy is unremarkable next to the Blair Athols and Glen Gariochs of the Highland world, but an amazing value at the price point. The Bunnahabhain is one of my favorite Islay pours, it cheaper than its neighbors, and a more approachable starting point for someone who isn't that familiar with the smoky ways of Islay. If he loves the peat smoke then Laph10 by all means, but for some who are just starting out the Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin trio might be a bit much.

Start him with the McClelland line, where he can get both a Highland and a Speyside for about that price.

Glen Garioch is the single McCleland uses for their Highland Malt series. I've forgotten which one they use for their Islay single but there are only a handful of distillerys on the Island so the list is pretty small.

Many excellent recommendations. A couple of lower cost drams that I keep in my regular rotation not mentioned yet are Glengoyne 10 and Johnnie Walker Black.

The Glengoyne is only $39 where I am, and I've really been enjoying it lately. I like the Old Puteney 12 and Aberfeldy 12 as mentioned earlier (and both are about $39), but the Glengoyne just disappears faster. It's a light, fruity Highland that is dangerously drinkable.

And I'll always have the JWB on the shelf. Every time I go back to it, I'm amazed at how much I like it - and I can pick it up for $26 most days.

(And I will echo the praises of Admore Traditional Cask - reg price at Binny's is $29 which is way undervalued for what you get - but don't say that too loud.)

Glen Garioch is the single McCleland uses for their Highland Malt series. I've forgotten which one they use for their Islay single but there are only a handful of distillerys on the Island so the list is pretty small.

The Islay is Bowmore. The Lowland is Auchentoshan. Not sure about the Speyside. All are about five years old. I find them to be of a higher class than the bottom shelf, they're worth the asking price and they're a decent introduction to the styles they represent.

I believe you're correct Jim although I think the ages are closer to seven years, or were when my friends and I regularly drank the line a decade or so back.

Of course I meant Laphroaig 10. I just got me L's mixed up. Thanks for showing me the error of my way.

Obrene

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.