BOTM 2/13: Old Charter 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey! I'm early for a change. Every once in a while. :grin: I was looking at the BOTM list, and I just picked this one out of the hat. It's current, and it hasn't been BOTM yet. There ya' go.

I have to admit that I've never bought a bottle of OC 101. I also have to admit that I can't remember if I've tasted OC 101, or if I haven't. You know the deal. Sampler, KBF, GN, gazebo, etc. :rolleyes: I seem to remember a bottle gracing the table at the gazebo once, but....

Anywho, without further ado, let's hear what your thoughts are on OC 101.

Cheers! Joe

Personally I am a fan for the price. Makes a great golf course bourbon. Sweet and simple and don't have to think about it, but works great as "swing lube"!

I like this stuff. I chose this as my first time selecting a VBT. It was also the first pour out of the bottle. I still find it to be the most grain dominant bourbon I have tried but with a nice and mellow oak behind it.

I think it is just "Charter 101". When Steve was the buyer at Frugal's (He's now in Texas.), he would discount stuff deeply when he no longer wanted it on the shelf, so I bought several cases of this at $9.99/1.75L. (All he had.) It is actually my favorite of the Charter line. Especially at the price-point I was able to get it at. But, when I run out I will probably not replace it as the handles go for about $35 around here and there are others I like better at that price.

Anyone know where I might find this in the Philadelphia Metropolitan area? I'd be willing to travel an hour or so, but never seen one in the wild around here.

I'm posting again so I can bump this back up to the top of the list. I forgot to stick the thread when I first posted it. Sorry folks. :rolleyes:

Young, hot, and cheap. Great characteristics for some things in life but not, IMO, bourbon. The 101 proof makes it a relatively efficient alcohol-delivery system.

Edited by jburlowski

Young and hot never came cheap for me.

Wonder if the moderators would let me get away with making this my signature.

If the price was higher it would be a no go, but around here I can usually get it for about $16. I actually prefer EWB for the price but ok for a change.

The only bottle I could find was close to $25.00. Too much? I also tried to find the Forester Signature last month with no luck (I did see the BB for $60.00 though.)

So pass at that price. :grin:

I may have been a little harsh. You can definately do a helluva lot worse at that price, but Charter 101 is, at best, a mixing bourbon. It does very well in coke and pretty well in a manhattan and with Benedictine (4:1). If you don't do full-flavored cocktails, pass. OC 10 is a better sipper.

I do not mix anything but the last time I purchased this I drank about half and used half in various recipes to cook with. I presently have an Old Charter 10 yr 86 handle in the bunker waiting to be opened, it will be next in about a week

• 2 weeks later...
I may have been a little harsh. You can definately do a helluva lot worse at that price, but Charter 101 is, at best, a mixing bourbon. It does very well in coke and pretty well in a manhattan and with Benedictine (4:1). If you don't do full-flavored cocktails, pass. OC 10 is a better sipper.

charter 101 was cheap, terrible stuff several years ago, but i think current production stuff is much better. I'm currently visiting my mom, and there is a bottle open here. actually a tasty whiskey, much better than,say, the current wild turkey. this one is worth giving a second shot to. still not the best, but much better.

Thanks for the tip! May pick another one up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a huge fan of Ol Charter. Has a flavor I have always enjoyed. I was in a store in Rochester yesterday calling on some accounts, and low and behold, there was a half a gallon of charter 101, 22 bucks. I got one. I have drank it in ky, and enjoyed it. I just smelled the bottle last night and yep, like its brothers it has that classic, candy bourbon nose to it. I am sure I will poor some tonight.

So I just acquired som OC 101 bottled in the 70s. I have never had OC so I figure I should start with the modern version first. But then I live in Idaho. So may need to have my broker send me some.

So I just acquired som OC 101 bottled in the 70s. I have never had OC so I figure I should start with the modern version first. But then I live in Idaho. So may need to have my broker send me some.

Well, I may be wrong. It happens from time to time, my wife can verify. I will head to the office in a little bit and check it out again. Sorry about being off topic. The header clearly states OLD Charter 101.

Well, I may be wrong. It happens from time to time, my wife can verify. I will head to the office in a little bit and check it out again. Sorry about being off topic. The header clearly states OLD Charter 101.

No, not off topic at all. I had just never heard of an Old Charter 101 proof from the 1970s. I'm interested in learning more about it.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.