MM Proof Change

NeoTexan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed a bottle of 42 going for $500 as rare. Hmmmm

its the same people selling twinkles and hoho's.

At that price I would buy it and take a few friends with me to get additional bottles.

Whoa......$5?! It will still take a while for them to 'blow out' their stock if they limit it to one bottle per person. But, that is a heck of a deal

Edited by MarkRuck

This (not surprisingly I think) sold out within 24 hours. I remember seeing this one day, thinking "Hell for $5 why wouldn't I get one?" and by the time I checked their stock the next day when I was gonna go it was gone.

K&L is a great store that actually tells you what their stocks are like in case you wanna decide to make a purchase or maybe wait a while. Unfortunately, that also means you can tell when something is just gone (and in this case not coming back).

I stand corrected.....less than 24 hours is not long at all. Even non-bourbon drinkers would be lured in to buy a bottle at $5.

I stand corrected.....less than 24 hours is not long at all. Even non-bourbon drinkers would be lured in to buy a bottle at $5.

I just got this funny image of some oblivious person walking into K&L, seeing Makers Mark for $5.00 and buying one for a party thinking "Makers for $5.00. Its always $25 when I buy it for parties, what a steal!" but with little clue as to the anger their newly purchased bottle inspired.

How many customers went to the store without checking first, more than a few I expect.

The only bottle of MM I ever purchased was about 35 years ago. I bought it because I liked the label and the red wax top.The MM proof change controversy's national attention has been remarkable. The subject came up in conversation I had with a complete stranger. I thoroughly enjoyed this long thread.

I wonder if Dale or any other resident Ambassador can tell us if the Maker's Mark community is pressing the company about the long-term question of capacity expansion, in particular the plan that was supposed to be imminent eight years ago. And if not, why not? Beam is investing in everything else, why aren't they investing in what is supposed to be their crown jewel? (More about the postponed expansion plan is here.)

Well...................... I took samples of the MM 84 proof and MM 90 proof to the bowling alley to share with my team mates, and a couple other bowling buddies that like and share bourbon with us too. We did a blind comparison of the two. Six of us took part in this impromptu taste test. Gary (Vosgar) and I were pretty much the only real experienced bourbon lovers of the group. The results were that all six of us could tell there was a difference between the two, and five out of the six of us were able to pick out which one was which. The only guy that got it wrong was a friend who has the least amount of experience in drinking and tasting bourbon. He could tell there was a difference, and liked the 84 proof more because it was lighter and smoother. He thought it was the 90 proof for that reason.

Not being snide, but I guess that kinda blows a hole in MM's saying that there is/was no difference in the taste.

Joe some of the most die hard Makers drinkers I know mix it with a large amount of Sprite and I'm sure they wouldn't taste any difference.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.