Sunday is St Patrick's Day

p_elliott
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What are we lining up for St. Paddy's day? I have Redbreast CS and had the wife pick up a Jameson 12. I'm thinking corn beef and red potatoes what say ye?

I have a few bottles of Irish open, but I may crack open my Powers 12 Yr that I haven't gotten around to yet. Otherwise, probably some Jameson Black Barrel, Bushmill's Black Bush or Michael Collins 10 Yr Single Malt.

In addition to the corned beef and cabbage we are going to celebrate the Irish side of my family ancestry by having a few friends over and add a few other appetizers as well as three Irish whiskey cocktails I am lifting from the 2011 issue of Imbibe magazine about Irish Whiskey.

And of course I am going to open up the liquor cabinet and share a bit from the pot of gold! That will include:

Bushmills Black Bush, Bushmills White label, Concannon Petite Syrah finished whiskey, Greenore 8 year old Single Grain, Greenore 15 year old Single Grain, Jameson 12 year old Special Reserve, Redbreast Single Pot Still 12 year old, Redbreast Single Pot Still 12 year old Cask Strength, Redbreast Single Pot Still 15 year old, Green Spot Single Pot Still NAS, Yellow Spot Single Pot Still 12 year old, The Irishman Cask Strength 2010 112 proof, The Irishman Original Clan, The Irishman Single Malt, Powers John’s Lane Single Pot Still 12 year old and Tullamore Dew Special Reserve 12 year old.

Had hoped to get some Poitín/Poteen but could find any in the US that was readily available.

And for those I know can appreciate it I may bring out the Midleton Very Rare 2012, Barry Crockett Legacy Blended Single Pot Still and Bushmills 21 year old Single Malt for a wee taste.

Should be fun!

I'm not a corned beef and cabbage guy, but Redbreast 15 is definately on the menu

Traditional corned beef brisket,cabbage and potatoes followed up by a RB12 and 15 I believe,should be a good day!

We've had a family tradition that goes back to when I was very little, and that is to attend a huge St. Patrick's Day breakfast with family and friends. Back in the sixties in Queens, that usually meant going to a large hall in a church, fire station or other suitable place and eating a fabulous Irish meal with live music and a hundred people or more in attendance, with the parish priest and a few local politicians making an appearance for the event. Sadly, those days are long gone, so we now host a much smaller event right in our home with twenty or so people attending but with all the same spirit of celebration. I've already loaded up on tons of eggs, sausages, Irish bacon, black pudding and the like, while others will be preparing trays full of colcannon and homemade soda bread for the occasion. We usually drink Irish tea during the meal and have a pint of Guinness (or Murphy's for me) afterwards accompanied by a small pour of whiskey to toast one another's good health. (The whiskey has traditionally always been Paddy's for as long as I can remember, with bottles being brought directly from Ireland after visits to see other relatives in Cork where most of our family originally came from. Having Paddy on hand was always considered a real treat (and remains so), as it was forever unavailable on the US market for so many decades and only very recently made its appearance here. There are certainly better Irish whiskeys out there but we'll be sticking with the Paddy tradition until I'm pushing up daisies.)

We are very fortunate to have a fabulous Irish pub just a block and a half away for many additional pints and live music later in the day, rounded off by a corned beef and cabbage dinner at someone else's home in the early evening. I know I'm really looking forward to it, but only half as much as my kids, who sing and dance the entire day away until they fall down with exhaustion. I tend to end the day falling down for another reason...:grin:

Edited by unclebunk

Sounds fun unclebunk. I enjoy Paddy's and generally have a bottle around. May not be terribly complex, but it's a good, easy drinking Irish Whiskey.

Very nice cabinet collection tanstaafl2!

http://www.bevx.com/spirits/whisky/irish/irish_notes?l=&option=&pg=1

Any experience with this one?

Greenore Single Grain 18 yr old Irish Whiskey (Ireland); 46% abv (Ireland)

I am not sure how available it is....very pricey $135.

Have yet to run across the 18yo but if I do I will probably buy one in spite of the cost. I like the 15yo better than the 8yo. The 8yo is very mild and unassuming. A good mixer and not bad on its own but not notable either.

Sounds fun unclebunk. I enjoy Paddy's and generally have a bottle around. May not be terribly complex, but it's a good, easy drinking Irish Whiskey.

Easy drinker about sums it up. We usually switch to Black Bush when the bottle of Paddy's is empty, but the initial toast is always Paddy's as tradition dictates. The way I see it, there's little point in busting out the heavy artillery on St. Patrick's Day when it is a "session" whiskey that is required, given all the stout that is also consumed throughout the day. Besides, from my experience anyway, you'd be hard pressed to find a home in all of County Cork (Ireland's largest county) that doesn't have a bottle of Paddy in the cupboard. So, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us. :grin:

Edited by unclebunk

http://www.salon.com/2010/03/17/st_patricks_day_corned_beef_and_cabbage_irish/

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 07:20 PM -0500

St. Patrick’s Day controversy: Is corned beef and cabbage Irish?

Many insist that it's their culinary heritage, but others are calling it blarney

By Francis Lam

"....First, let’s settle one thing: Ireland knew how to rock the corned beef. According to Irish food experts Colman Andrews and Darina Allen, corned beef was, in fact, a major export of Cork from the 17th century, shipping it all over Europe and as far as the sunny British West Indies, where they still love their corned beef in cans.

Most of the Irish who came in massive waves to America during the Potato Famine in the late 1840s were from around Cork, so they probably knew corned beef well enough. But, as the historian Hasia Diner argues in “Hungering for America,†they may have been trying to forget altogether what they were and weren’t eating back in Ireland...."

Edited by Jono

Had the corned beef and cappage with potatoes and carrots. And for desert the Bushmills 1608 400th anniversary.

Well I was the Heathen in my Irish Catholic family as I always preferred Old Bushmills to either Jameson's or Tullamore Dew. "You drink that Protestant whiskey" was a common refrain. So yesterday I teed up a couple of tumblers of Old Bushmills while listening to the Saw Doctors as well as the Clancy Brothers, Four Men & A Dog, etc.. and raised a glass to my departed friends and relatives. Forgot to put on my Irish sweater, damn..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.