Mellow Corn about to change?

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been hearing that Rittenhouse rye BIB is going to change soon from DSP-KY-354 (Brown-Forman) juice to DSP-KY-1 (Heaven Hill) juice. I like the Ritt BIB 354, so I'm keeping an eye on the stock at my favorite store. Tonight, I noticed that Mellow Corn, also a BIB but a corn whiskey, is listed as being distilled at DSP-KY-354 (B-F) and bottled at DSP-KY-31 (HH's fire-damaged location). If they're switching to their own make for Ritt BIB, are they also switching to their own make for MC? If so, will that bring about a noticeable change in the flavor profile of MC?

I am told that HH is producing their own corn now as well. Other here may know better. But I am pretty sure they are. I did notice a change in the flavor of georgia moon a good while back, so I am pretty sure of it. I have had MC labeled as being made at HH. But it must have been pre fire HH. I do not think I have ever seen a MC labeled at being made by HH at the Bernheim plant. Pre fire MC is great stuff, had that wonderful grassy taste I get from pre fire HH. When the change is made to Benheim made MC I expect it to taste as good as it always has. But the MC on he shelf is not near as tasty as it once was, I hope it gets better. As far as the rye goes, if the rittenhouse recipe is as close to the one JD is putting out white, based on tasting the rye white dog HH put out, there will be no big change in the flavor.

I was on a behind-the-scenes sort of tour at HH last year and we saw a bunch of used barrels lined up and we were told they were going to be barreling corn whiskey white dog later that day. So it would seem that they've already started making it. When it will hit the shelves is another matter.

• 1 month later...

I found a 200 ml mellow corn today that was distilled and bottled at DSP 31. Am I correct in assuming this is a pre-fire HH product?

Save a little to try side by side by side with the current B-F Mellow Corn and the eventual all-DSP-KY-1 Mellow Corn. That last one will take a year or more to come out, though.

My favorite store upped their regular order quantity of MC because of me.

My temporary standard drink is 5 parts HH 80 and 4 parts MC, which I drink on a couple of ice cubes or in an Old Fashioned. When the HH 80 is gone, I finish off the remaining MC with a little ice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.