Irish whiskey -- what's your favorite?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm very partial to Irish.

I've never had Redbreast, or single malt Michael Collins, or any of the expensive ones, but Powers and especially Old Bushmills are delicious to me.

What's your favorite?

Redbreast 12*, 15, and Green Spot.

*by all accounts the 12yo cask strength is even better, but I haven't tried it since it has not been made available in Canada yet.

1) Powers John Lane

2) Middleton Barry Crockett (But WAY overpriced....I would never buy it)

2) Green Spot

NOTE: I have not had Yellow Spot (or had too much before tasting it to remember I had it) so it might break into the top 3 in the near future

Redbreast 12 CS is the only one I've had that I actively enjoy and want to have on hand. But I find all of the sub $60 Jamison and Bushmills blends to be perfectly fine. Many years ago I had the three single malt Bushmills and thought well of them at the time. I need to look into Powers, Tyrconnel (sp?) and the Spots.

I've gone through a lot of Black Bush over the years.

I like the Knappogue Castle 12 year, and the Tyrconnell Madeira cask is worth looking for. But the Redbreast CS is the only Irish that holds its own against my favorite bourbons.

Redbreast 12 CS is the only one I've had that I actively enjoy and want to have on hand. But I find all of the sub $60 Jamison and Bushmills blends to be perfectly fine. Many years ago I had the three single malt Bushmills and thought well of them at the time. I need to look into Powers, Tyrconnel (sp?) and the Spots.

I've gone through a lot of Black Bush over the years.

I like the Knappogue Castle 12 year, and the Tyrconnell Madeira cask is worth looking for. But the Redbreast CS is the only Irish that holds its own against my favorite bourbons.

Yes Alden, those narrow roads in Ireland are quite scary, but worth it to have tried Powers John's Lane. It is not only Ireland's best, but one of the world's great whiskies. My second favorite Irish is Knappogue Castle 12 yr.

Midleton Barry Crockett

Midleton Very Rare

[TABLE=width: 216]

[TR]

[TD]Kilbeggan 15 Year Old [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Jameson 18 Year Old

I have more to try, but these is my favorites in order.

I haven't had a chance to taste a ton of Irish but I am a big fan of Redbreast. For everyday I like Powers. Cheap, interesting, and not too sweet. I like Powers 12 but it can be a little sweeter than I care for in an Irish.

Tyrconnell and Knappogue Castle are what I usually buy when I'm in an Irish mood. Tullamore Dew 12 year is a new favorite of mine as well.

Tyrconnell and Knappogue Castle are what I usually buy when I'm in an Irish mood. Tullamore Dew 12 year is a new favorite of mine as well.

My local store has some Tullamore. I may try that one soon. I hear good things.

Powers John's Lane is a superb whiskey in my opinion and has been popping up in the US so I encourage those with an interest to look for it. Just found it in Atlanta and saw it on Astor Wines website.

The Barry Crockett Legacy, while certainly very expensive, is my favorite and I bought it despite the cost.

Over the St Patty's weekend the Greenore 15yo proved to be quite tasty and a big hit, even with a friend from Ireland. Makes me want to find the 18yo.

I just added bottle of the Knappogue Castle 12yo Single malt (which is Bushmills whiskey I believe) to the liquor cabinet and am looking forward to giving it a try. I would really like to try the Knappogue Castle 1951 but I don't know if I will ever be able to pull the trigger on that one. A 36yo whiskey from a long closed distillery in Tullamore would be a delightful bit of history to try!

Best Irish I've tried: Bushmills 10, The Wild Geese Limited Edition, Redbreast 12, Knappogue Castle 12.

Frankly I've been a little disappointed with the Bushmills malts, for me Black Bush is still the choice of that brand.

Squire, I've not had the Black Bush, but know it is highly regarded. How does it compare to their 16 yr malt, which I think has a nice minerality to it.

Black Bush has a rich, round, full flavor due to it's high (80%) sherry cask aged malt and compares very well to the 16 year malt which itself is much bigger than the earlier Bushmills malts which were done in a light, sophisticated style.

Black Bush has a sweeter, richer style than the 16 which is also flavorful but is more complex than BB without being quite so bold. So it really comes down to which has the most appeal to you, flavor or complexity. I can be happy with either but would rather pay $38 for BB than $65 for the 16 Malt.

Midleton Barry Crockett

Midleton Very Rare

[TABLE=width: 216]

[TR]

[TD]Kilbeggan 15 Year Old[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Jameson 18 Year Old

I have more to try, but these is my favorites in order.

Tried the Jameson Rarest Vintage last night. Prefer the Midleton Very Rare, Barry Crockett and Kilbeggan 15. The Jameson Rarest Vintage has too strong a tobacco taste for me.

Black Bush has a rich, round, full flavor due to it's high (80%) sherry cask aged malt and compares very well to the 16 year malt which itself is much bigger than the earlier Bushmills malts which were done in a light, sophisticated style.

Black Bush has a sweeter, richer style than the 16 which is also flavorful but is more complex than BB without being quite so bold. So it really comes down to which has the most appeal to you, flavor or complexity. I can be happy with either but would rather pay $38 for BB than $65 for the 16 Malt.

I agree 114% with Squires take on these two whiskies. Everything he says is exactly what I would say about them. Just to add, I was at a Bushmill's tasting a couple of weeks ago, and their entire line-up is very nice, save the 10 yr which was underwhelming to me. However, my thoughts on the 10 go counter to most reviews you'll read. It's generally thought of as very good. Just not what I was looking for that night, I guess. The sherry cask influence of the Black Bush really stands out against the other iterations when tried back-to-back-to back...It's an incredibly drinkable whiskey. Sweet and rich, just like Squire describes. The 16 and 21 yr were extremely nice. I recently picked up a 16 yr based on the tasting, but would have gone with the BB if my store would have had it in stock at the time.

Squire, you sure we ain't related? :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.