Who decides where you can buy your favorite bourbon?

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been aiming to go up front and ask this question. Who decides where you can buy say; EWSB Single Barrel. It's not available in one state but is plentiful elsewhere. The same with other products. I know that if you order one case from HH we will run it if it is a actual order. What is the deal? Is there a cornered market that only allows certain products to be sold in particular places and if you want it you have to order from another state?

boone

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Bettye Jo in my case it is the High Commissar of the Alcohol Control Board of Virginia that decides what I will be permitted to drink and how much I will pay for it. If I want to drink something else I must either distll it myself or drive to Kentucky. The reality being that I do both. wink.gif Direct importation of distilled spirits is strictly forbidden, but then again so is " home distillation".

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. smile.gif Will Travel.

"home distillation" is a Federal crime though, is it not?

I remember the accursed "state stores" when I lived in PA. What a pain in the rear!

I've often wondered the same thing. I think you should probably ask Larry Kass about it Bettye Jo ... your brands manager ought to know the answer.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

In open states, distributors decide what they want to buy from manufacturers and offer to their customers, and retailers decide which of the offered products they want to buy and offer to their retail customers.

Sometimes, usually due to limited quantities of the product or limited marketing support resources, manufacturers will restrict where they offer certain products. In some cases, manufacturers decide certain brands are only "for" certain areas. Usually they are willing to sell the product in another area if a distributor asks for it, but they don't push it in non-target markets.

In control states, the state liquor authority functions as both distributor and retailer, at least for the purpose of deciding what will be available to consumers.

Of course they all, even the control states, will say the marketplace decides, that they offer what the consumers want. The reality is that some of the decisions are arbitrary, especially in control states.

--Chuck Cowdery

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.