Hemingway's Cocktail Recipes

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

"Want a Green Isaac's Special?"

"Fine, make it a Special."

Where Thomas Hudson lay on the mattress his head was in the shade cast by the platform at the forward end of the flying bridge where the controls were and Eddy came aft with the tall cold drink made of gin, lime juice, green coconut water and chipped ice with just enough Angostura bitters to give it a rusty rose color. He held the drink in the shadows so the ice would not melt while he looked out over the sea.

Islands in the Stream

-- Part I, Bimini

page 84

Edited by Alden

He had drunk double frozen daiquiris, the great ones that Constante made, that had no taste of alcohol and felt, as you drank them, the way downhill glacier skiing feels, running through powder snow and, after the sixth and eighth, felt like downhill glacier skiing feels when you are running unroped.

Page 215

He had drunk double frozen daiquiris, the great ones that Constante made, that had no taste of alcohol and felt, as you drank them, the way downhill glacier skiing feels, running through powder snow and, after the sixth and eighth, felt like downhill glacier skiing feels when you are running unroped.

Page 215

Thomas Hudson went into the bar where it was cool and almost dark after the glare of the coral road and had a gin and tonic water with a piece of lime peel in the glass and a few drops of Angostura in the drink. Mr. Bobby was behind the bar looking terrible... the light is was dim and cool and pleasant. Louis came downstairs... He saw the two sailors from the yacht look at each other but they didn't say anything. He stood there, holding the long, pleasantly bitter drink, tasting the first swallow of it, and it reminded him of Tanga, Mombasa, and Lamu and all that coast and he suddenly had a nostalgia for Africa...

"Tom do you really like the taste of that stuff?" Bobby asked him.

"Sure or I wouldn't drink it."

"I opened a bottle once and it tasted like quinine."

"It's got quinine in it."

"People surely are crazy." Bobby said. "Man can drink anything he wants. He has to pay money for it. He's supposed to be taking his pleasure and he spoils good gin by putting it into some kind of Hindu drink with quinine in it."

"It tastes good to me. I like the quinine taste with the lime peel. I think it sort of opens up the pores of the stomach or something. I get more of a kick out of it than any other gin drink. It makes me feel good."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.