Pow-Wow "Botanical" Rye

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody know the origins of the relatively new "infused" rye from the Georgetown Trading Company?

Seems to be popping up a bit in the cocktail world. It's infused (not just oils) with saffron, orange peel and other odds and ends. 90 proof but source and mashbill seem to be a bit of a mystery still.

Well, Georgetown Trading Company is the outfit that brought us James Pepper rye, so I would guess MGPI/LDI/Seagrams/Rossville Union to be the source. And I note that the web address for the rye actually points to the Drinkhacker review, nice move guys. Can't even take the time to have somebody throw up a web page?

Well, Georgetown Trading Company is the outfit that brought us James Pepper rye, so I would guess MGPI/LDI/Seagrams/Rossville Union to be the source. And I note that the web address for the rye actually points to the Drinkhacker review, nice move guys. Can't even take the time to have somebody throw up a web page?

MGPI seemed most likely but I wasn't sure. Interesting choice indeed for the website given the review wasn't entirely 100% complimentary.

My only complaint is that Pow-Wow is a touch thin on the body. You don’t get the big mouthfeel of a good rye here (even though this one’s a solid 90 proof), which ultimately makes the spirit feel less substantial than it is.

So, what's the price of this fire water.

That's four Bartons.

I believe that all whiskey should be evaluated in this fashion. Before touting the characteristics and provenance of your new gold foil embossed bottle. How does it stack on The Barton Scale?

• 6 months later...

Well, they say there's a sucker born every minute and tonight I was that sucker. Highland Beverage in Hiram had a few bottles on the shelf and I picked one up. First the aroma or should I say odor? Cheap perfume, overly thin, flavored Lipton tea. Almost bad enough to not even take a taste. The taste? Again the reference to flavored tea with the saffron coming through very strong (not a good thing). It has a light, thin texture, there is no oil as it sits in my mouth. Halls cough drops or Coors light beer has more flavor. Have I said eeewww yet? I don't think I could even gargle with this stuff. Nuff said. If anyone in the Atlanta area wants to try this they are welcome to the rest of the bottle, otherwise I'll use it to poison the moles who are tearing up my yard something fierce. I'm out of town till Sunday night so a meet would have to wait till next week.

Oh, and I chased it with ECBP and heavily salted popcorn and the taste still lingers.

Edited by BoyScout

Can't say I would know. If I've ever had gin it was mixed in something. My favorite rye is Templeton followed closely by Old Scout 7yo and Willett 5yo.

...Oh, and I chased it with ECBP and heavily salted popcorn and the taste still lingers.
sounds like Indian food. Maybe they used real saffron which is expensive? Or maybe it's the orange peel that sticks around. Orange peel is bitter and nasty.

Well, bless the heart of the store that sold me the Pow-Wow. I called to give him my tasting notes and he offer to take the bottle back. I took him up on the offer and picked a bottle of Jefferson Reserve, something else I've never had but at least it isn't flavored.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.