Forty Creek Barrel Reserve

weller_tex
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone else here like the standard Forty Creek? I have had a couple of half-pints (plastic bottle oddly enough) and it found it very tasty, especially for only 80 proof.

Cheap enough not to feel bad using it as a mixer yet good enough to do fine on its own,although a bit sweet for my tastes.Pretty good in a Manhattan with equal part sweet and dry vermouth and a touch more on the bitters side as well.Summertime I usually keep this around for guests which I serve with ginger ale and a cherry garnish light and sweet.

I meant to say flavorful, our brief fling with Spring weather caused enough stuff to bloom to fill our neighborhood with pollen which has caused my head to be stuffed up.

If this stuff was barrel proof it would be my favorite.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I agree, an excellent product and good value. A high proof version would be great though.

Gary

I would hate to think how poor I would be if they actually did release a barrel proof. Butterscotch heaven!

This is by far my favorite Canadian Whiskey.

The standard is the Barrel Select. I get a too much sherry in the profile for me to really enjoy it. I am a big fan of the Copper Pot Reserve which is close to the same price and 86 proof.

I agree, an excellent product and good value. A high proof version would be great though.

Gary

If John Hall put out a high proof version he would have to give up his Canadian passport. :slappin:

True story, I asked him two years ago at a tasting why the vast majority of Canadian whisky was bottled at the bare minimum 40%. His response (paraphrased) was that at high proofs whisky is too closed on the nose and palate and that water releases all the flavours ...:rolleyes:

Well, there might be something to that given that most Canadian whisky uses grain whisky as a base.

Still, offering a high proof expression would offer an alternative to those interested and a value option too, i.e., they can add their own water.

CC issues a whisky that is 100 proof in duty free stores.

Gary

Well, there might be something to that given that most Canadian whisky uses grain whisky as a base.

Gary

True, but Forty Creek is supposedly "premium" (and the prices would attest to that) with little (or no?) NGS, so that shouldn't apply to the Double Barrel and limited editions*.

*the Port-like Wood Reserve @45% and the recent Copper Pot Reserve @43% being the only ones bottled north of 40%.

I just picked up another FCBR and a Three Grain version to compare.

I think Chuck C has written about what which Forty Creek bottlings have a grain whisky component and which may not.

To me, all Forty Creek products, even Copper Pot, taste like there is grain whisky in the blend. I could be wrong though.

Gary

I understand one of Mr. Hall's component whiskys is 100% corn which of course may be called a grain whisky.

• 4 weeks later...

Having my first pour on the rocks this evening. I really like it. It has a nice vanilla sweetness and a little flirt with sherry. Really easy going down on the rocks due to the 80 proof. Going to try a Manhattan next.

A real sleeper here, if this bottle wore a Scotch label it would cost 3 times as much.

A real sleeper here, if this bottle wore a Scotch label it would cost 3 times as much.

As a relatively young NAS whisky, if it were made from 100% malted barley and wore a Scotch label I might pay $78 (3x the price of the Barrel Select), but NOT $180 (3x the price of the Double Barrel Reserve).

Obviously, the prices you're paying in the USA are lower than what's inflicted on us (in the same province where 40Creek is produced, no less :rolleyes:) but IMO the Barrel Select is priced just right at $26 (better quality at same price as other bottom shelf Canadian whiskies), but the DBR is way overpriced at $60 - so much so, that every two months the local monopoly puts in on "sale" at $5 off.

Edited by portwood

Barrel Select sells for about $20 around here which says more about our local market than anything else.

• 7 months later...
Barrel Select sells for about $20 around here which says more about our local market than anything else.
$14.99 at Liquor World in Fayetteville Arkansas. What a bargain.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.