Bernheim Original wheat whiskey

AGarrison
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Trying Bernheim Original tonight. Says small batch wheated on the bottle.

This is my second try with this one. First time I found it ok, but not as light tasting as I've heard wheated whiskies usually are. I dont think it stacks up to WL Weller 12, but we'll see how it goes tonight. Maybe it improves after sitting a bit.

Alex - Don't forget that Bernhein is a wheat whiskey, not a 'wheated' whiskey. Meaning that Bernhien's mash bill is at least 51% wheat. Where the Weller 12 you reference is a wheated mash bill, or at least 51% corn, and the second grain is wheat.

I have enjoyed both the bottles you reference, but enjoy the Weller more. Good luck with the tasting tonight. Let us know how it goes.

Trying Bernheim Original tonight. Says small batch wheated on the bottle.

This is my second try with this one. First time I found it ok, but not as light tasting as I've heard wheated whiskies usually are. I dont think it stacks up to WL Weller 12, but we'll see how it goes tonight. Maybe it improves after sitting a bit.

From the way you wrote it AG...just thought I'd clarify it is a wheated whiskey (the only one from a macro distiller) and not a wheated bourbon like Weller 12. The Bernheim mash bill is 51% wheat versus the 51% or above corn of a bourbon being finished with wheat. Makers is 16% wheat and it is presumed 20% is about the limit for bourbon wheaters.

Thanks MarkRuck and TComp for the clarifications. I really didnt connect that Bernheim was at least 51% wheat. All the more reason to expect that "light" or "mellow" taste I hear about wheat. Still weller 12 seemed much better fit to that taste profile to me. I'm with you MarkRuck, the Weller is simply better to me. I understand there are even some 100% wheat whiskies out there from craft distillers. Now I wonder what those would be like too.

Thanks MarkRuck and TComp for the clarifications. I really didnt connect that Bernheim was at least 51% wheat. All the more reason to expect that "light" or "mellow" taste I hear about wheat. Still weller 12 seemed much better fit to that taste profile to me. I'm with you MarkRuck, the Weller is simply better to me. I understand there are even some 100% wheat whiskies out there from craft distillers. Now I wonder what those would be like too.

This seems to be a really common misconception about Bernheim Wheat among new members.

The sweet, mellow "wheater profile" is more about corn than it is wheat. Wheat is not very assertive; rye is. The wheat in a wheater mashbill allows the corn to shine through without rye influence.

Makes sense. So much to learn. At least newbies like me have this forum.

I found the Bernheim to be very biscuity and one dimensional,not something necessarily bad but shares no profile characteristics of a wheated bourbon like Jim has already stated.Wheat helps to round and soften the profile over time and not really meant to be the defining component on it's own.

Edited by WAINWRIGHT

Bernheim is it's own thing, one might say it defines the category. The curiosity factor led me to buy a bottle but that one didn't create enough interest to cause me to buy another.

I like it well enough. Well, well enough that I believe I've purchased it twice. And the price has certainly gotten somewhat more reasonable. Stuff was crazy expensive when it first came out here.

This is not a new thread by any means it keeps getting brought up time and time again. I'll say the same thing I always say: Bernheim is good whiskey and every bourbon lover should have a bottle to understand how the wheat and corn mix in a wheated bourbon. Because if drinking this doesn't tell you, you just ain't going to get it.

I like it from time to time and at the current price, I don't hesitate to buy it.

I couldn't agree more Chuck...well except it isn't available in Australia, and it's over $100 a bottle to import! But, I do get across the pond to New Zealand every couple of years and always ensure I pick a bottle or two up there. I'd go as far as to say it's probably my favourite HH pour at the moment!

I like the occasional mellow dram, and most bourbons aren't particularly (Weller 12 is the exception, I think), therefor I keep a bottle on hand. Bernheim is very mellow to be sure. Not one I reach for very often, but I do serve it to a few guests who like the softer profile and milder flavor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.