What Cocktail Are Enjoying Spring '13?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally had all the ingredients for a Gunshop Fizz lying around, which was incentive enough to create one of these laborious potlucks.

Gunshop Fizz

2 oz Peychaud's bitters

1 oz lemon juice

2 strawberries

3 slices cucumber

3 wide grapefruit peels

3 wide orange peels

1 oz Sanbitter (subbed .5 oz each of soda water and Campari)

Muddle all but Sanbitter for a great long time to let flavors socialize, then agitate the whole affair with some impressive chunks of ice. Once thoroughly chilled, strain and then strain again. Top the all-but Gunshop Fizz with an ounce of Sanbitter and garnish with a slice of cucumber.

I'd read much about this cocktail but never tried one. Worth a shot if you ever happen to find yourself with the necessary ingredients and feel like working for your drink.

This is such a great cocktail, and it is getting close to the right time of year in this area for local strawberries and cucumbers. Last year, I drove all over trying to find sanbitter just to make this cocktail as I had all the other ingredients. I found some at Dipasquales in Baltimore, which should have been my first stop.

This is the signature cocktail from the Beta Cocktails book http://betacocktails.com/, which is definitely worth buying if you are really into cocktails - the whole collection consists of crazy concoctions that somehow end up being really delicious. There is a thread on the eGullet cocktail forum with a bunch of recipes people have made from the book.

This is such a great cocktail, and it is getting close to the right time of year in this area for local strawberries and cucumbers. Last year, I drove all over trying to find sanbitter just to make this cocktail as I had all the other ingredients. I found some at Dipasquales in Baltimore, which should have been my first stop.

This is the signature cocktail from the Beta Cocktails book http://betacocktails.com/, which is definitely worth buying if you are really into cocktails - the whole collection consists of crazy concoctions that somehow end up being really delicious. There is a thread on the eGullet cocktail forum with a bunch of recipes people have made from the book.

I brought two of them, the Transatlantic Giant and the Teenage Riot, to the Gazebo among the four cocktails I was making. Not sure most people quite knew what to make of me and my portable bar but it seemed like those who gave them a try enjoyed them!

Took my wife to the Blennerhassett Hotel in Parkersburg, WV for the weekend (a great historic hotel) ... and watched the Derby in their courtyard. Had a mint julep, at my wife's insistence ... and an old fashioned, or two.

Liked the old fashioned much more than the mint julep ... btw, both were made with Blanton's, seems that Spat's [their restaurant/bar] doesn't have a well bourbon ... and all bourbons are the same price.

At least they didn't skimp on the booze! Did you go to the island? I went to the park there a couple of times when I was a kid (my dad was a big Civil War buff)

At least they didn't skimp on the booze! Did you go to the island? I went to the park there a couple of times when I was a kid (my dad was a big Civil War buff)

Have been there numerous times ... have even done civil war reenacting there (yes, I'm one of those). Didn't go last weekend as we spent most of our time at the hotel enjoying each other's company ... but, I agree, a great day trip and a very historic 18th century site ... few people realize it has an Arron Burr treason connection.

Thanks for the book recommendation -- I'm going to try to get a copy.

I made myself two mint juleps last night, one with KCSB and one with BT. The 120 proof KC just seemed to overpower the mint and sugar syrup and tasted out of balance. With the BT everything mingled together nicely and it worked very well. I could see a few more of those in my future!

Eric

Watching golf & getting ready to make my first citrus Arnold Palmer & Bourbon, just waiting for the simple syrup to cool.

1 oz Barton, 1/2 oz Parma pomegranate liqueur, 2 oz orange juice, over ice stirred not shaken.

My foray into the cocktail world: the Manhattan

2 parts WTR101

1 part Carpano Antica Vermouth

2 dashes Bittermens Orange Cream Citrate

2 dashes Angostora Bitters

Manhattan

2 oz Willett Rye

.75 oz Carpano Antica

Several dashes of Fee Bros Barrel Aged Biters

Mr browns grapefruit cooler

2oz four roses single

.5oz canton ginger liqueur

3oz fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice

Rub the inside of a glass with mint and drop in

add ice and pour mixture in

garnishwith mint sprig.

Ahhhh!:yum:

Manhattan

2 oz Willett Rye

.75 oz Carpano Antica

Several dashes of Fee Bros Barrel Aged Biters

Yes sir. That is a great one!

An Algonquin:

2 pts. Rye (Beam)

1 pt. dry vermouth (Lillet)

1 pt. pineapple juice

Eh. I knew from the get-go that Ritt. would be a better choice, but the Beam was closer at hand. I tasted the pineapple-rye mixture against a dry vermouth and Lillet and the Lillet's sweetness and character seemed like a better match. Ultimately, a decent drink and good way to help finish off my can of pineapple juice from last night and certainly worth a shot for all those interested, but just make sure to use a burlier rye than Beam.

(The other portion of my pineapple juice was spent on a Pago Pago and a Chartreuse Swizzle, two eminently potable cocktails.)

Made my first Mint Julep for my wife this weekend. It was a big hit after I got the sweetness level down a bit.

Nothing fancy, just Cynar and soda...it's getting a bit too warm for brown liquor. This time of year let's me recharge for the fall releases!

Nothing fancy, just Cynar and soda...it's getting a bit too warm for brown liquor. This time of year let's me recharge for the fall releases!

I agree. Today I made a seasonal resolution to switch back to gin (and other light spirits), with a Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2 (I had only intended to make the CR2, but the two gin-based equal parts drinks got crossed in my head-cyclopedia).

Trey, have you tried Cardamaro before? It's flavored with cardoon and blessed thistle, both in the same family as artichoke. I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing my bottle of Cynar yet but am wondering if the two are interchangeable or if it is more of a dry vermouth/quina relationship.

I agree. Today I made a seasonal resolution to switch back to gin (and other light spirits), with a Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2 (I had only intended to make the CR2, but the two gin-based equal parts drinks got crossed in my head-cyclopedia).

Trey, have you tried Cardamaro before? It's flavored with cardoon and blessed thistle, both in the same family as artichoke. I simply haven't gotten around to purchasing my bottle of Cynar yet but am wondering if the two are interchangeable or if it is more of a dry vermouth/quina relationship.

Sorry to jump in here, but I think they are definitely different IMO, with Cynar a bit brasher and more bitter, while the Cardamaro is more delicate and sweet. The Cynar works better with soda and the Cardamaro is better for neat sipping, IMHO, but both are very versatile, though not exactly interchangeable. Get yourself some Cynar though, if you like the more bitter end of things.

Yeah, I don't think they are interchangeable. I just tasted them side by side. Cardamaro is more syrupy and sweet, Cynar is dryer and more bitter. If I had to pick one it would be Cynar.

Drinking a dark and stormy made of Ron Abuelo 12 year and Gosling's ginger beer. The frau likes them and I figured why not have one with supper.

Sorry to jump in here, but I think they are definitely different IMO, with Cynar a bit brasher and more bitter, while the Cardamaro is more delicate and sweet. The Cynar works better with soda and the Cardamaro is better for neat sipping, IMHO, but both are very versatile, though not exactly interchangeable. Get yourself some Cynar though, if you like the more bitter end of things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.