My First Fatty

TheNovaMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, there's no bourbon in the recipe, but I was drinking bourbon while preparing it. Close enough?

It was nice enough weather last Friday that I had my first crack at a fatty. Making a fatty is alot easier if you have someone to help, so I have to give a big shout-out to my mom for helping.

First, I sauteed some onions, mushrooms, and red bell peppers.

FirstFatty01_zpsd5056c99.jpg

Then we got a big mixing bowl and put in a pound each of ground turkey, ground pork, and ground beef.

FirstFatty02_zpsb54842b0.jpg

Then we added a packet of french onion soup mix.

FirstFatty03_zps65aa8439.jpg

Then an egg...

FirstFatty04_zps161d4325.jpg

Then a handful of rolled oats...

FirstFatty05_zps24625bbb.jpg

And mixed it all together. At this point, you could cook the stuff and end up with a tasty meatloaf, but we're going further.

FirstFatty06_zps5309b09f.jpg

Here are the sauteed veggies. The mushrooms really cooked down alot - something to keep in mind in the future.

FirstFatty07_zps4e0cd191.jpg

Then we put a pound of the mix in a one gallon Ziploc bag and rolled it out, cut the sides of the bag, and flipped the meat patty onto a piece of wax paper.

FirstFatty08_zps8a88184b.jpg

Then add cheese, veggies, and more cheese.

FirstFatty10_zps78ff6660.jpg

We had a little filling left over.

FirstFatty11_zps19de5f48.jpg

Then we rolled it up like so:

FirstFatty12_zps1f5603da.jpg

And then it looks like a burrito with a meat patty wrap instead of a tortilla :)

FirstFatty13_zps34dd48b6.jpg

Then we transferred it to a piece of Saran Wrap.

FirstFatty14_zps77fe10ed.jpg

And rolled it up tightly.

FirstFatty15_zpsf8eedb48.jpg

Then I prepared the grill for indirect heat.

FirstFatty16_zps3202b183.jpg

I lit 13 briquets of good old Kingsford and let them get completely gray.

FirstFatty17_zps11fa1523.jpg

Then I distributed them evenly over the unlit coals.

FirstFatty18_zps993fc1ea.jpg

BACON WEAVE! (5 by 6)

FirstFatty19_zps3d68efc9.jpg

Then we repeated the rolling process to apply the bacon weave, and put it on the grill.

FirstFatty20_zps65d12162.jpg

After roughly two hours at 275-300°F, and then a brief and very flamey searing, this is what it looks like.

FirstFatty21_zps015f02ae.jpg

Then we cut into it.

FirstFatty22_zps4e1fbbdf.jpg

Ready to eat! (Notice smoke ring.)

FirstFatty23_zpsf0e86e6e.jpg

It was pretty tasty, but I think next time I'll use twice the mushrooms, and they'll be portobello mushrooms instead of button mushrooms.

That is not at all what I thought you were going to be rolling with this thread title - but looks delicious! As I was scrolling down, I thought "Wow - if only he had bacon" and then as if you had read my mind - ta da!

Yup, when I've heard of a fatty being rolled, it's always been something altogether different. ;)

glad to hear you nailed the fatty and that your mom was there to help :cool:

that is a punishment of riches, grab the lipitor!

I have never attempted making one myself,now I just might have to.I do agree Pete,you can never have enough bacon or mushrooms this does appear to be a quite successful first attempt,well done!

Man Pete, that looks fantastic! :yum: The picture of it right off of the grill looks suitable for framing. Awesome job.

:toast:

Yup, when I've heard of a fatty being rolled, it's always been something altogether different. ;)

A fatty with a weave? Not what I was expecting!

Looks great Pete hope you poured a good one for your mum for helping out :)

She's not a big fan of bourbon, but I probably made her a rum and Dr. Pepper.

Oh. I thought this thread was about a woman after a night of heavy drinking. But the meal looked fantastic too.:grin: I particularly liked the bacon weave. Nice touch!

I thought this was gonna be a steamy story about an encounter with a well-fed gal..... I guess if she eats much of that luscious-lookin' 'fatty' she will be, eh? :slappin: Grill ON!!!

Nice looking fatty Pete, hard to believe it is your first one from looking at it. The saran wrap to tighten the roll and the basket weave bacon wrap were executed like you had been doing it for a long time. I like the gallon zip lock bag method to size the roll, it works perfect with 1 pound of meat. During the summer I make a couple of these every month. By using different meats and fillings the possibilities are endless.

Thanks Jim, but it really was my first time. I got ALOT of helpful info from SmokingMeatForums.com, so there's a little shout-out to all the guys and gals over there.

I think my next one will be a pizza fatty. :)

I am PC Smoker on smokingmeatforums. Those guys are great and always willing to help a fellow smoker in need. If you are new to smoking check out the site, there are plenty of step by step threads with lots of Q-View to get you heading in the right direction.

• 5 weeks later...

These lyrics just jumped into my head when I read the title

"Left alone with big fat Fanny,

She was such a naughty nanny!

Hey big woman you made a bad boy out of me!

Hey hey!

I've been singing with my band

Across the water, across the land,

I seen ev'ry blue eyed floozy on the way, hey

But their beauty and their style

Went kind of smooth after a while.

Take me to them lardy ladies every time!

(C'mon)

Oh won't you take me home tonight?

Oh down beside your red firelight,

Oh and you give it all you got

Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round

Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round...."

Fat Bottomed Girls Lyrics - Queen

You almost have a kind of haggis working there...without the stomach substituting bacon....and lack of organ stuffing.

Edited by Jono

That is not at all what I thought you were going to be rolling with this thread title -

I heard that my Brother from another Mother!

• 5 months later...

post-9349-14489819869716_thumb.jpg

These were my first two fatties smoked on my modified ECB. I made them over Memorial Day Weekend, but just found this post now. Maybe I will make a couple more soon because they so look good. I remember sipping some OF Signature while watching that smoker too. Beautiful weekend.

Bottom Fattie (AKA The Classic) was sausage, crispy bacon, BBQ sauce and my rub all wrapped in a nice bacon weave.

Top Fattie was Sage Sausage, sliced apples, ham and gruyere cheese rolled up in a bacon weave. Got a bit over stuffed and I had to run to the store for butcher's twine! Looks aren't everything.

After this photo I finished them off under the broiler just for a bit to crisp up the bacon . Both were very tasty.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16743[/ATTACH]

These were my first two fatties smoked on my modified ECB. I made them over Memorial Day Weekend, but just found this post now. Maybe I will make a couple more soon because they so look good. I remember sipping some OF Signature while watching that smoker too. Beautiful weekend.

Bottom Fattie (AKA The Classic) was sausage, crispy bacon, BBQ sauce and my rub all wrapped in a nice bacon weave.

Top Fattie was Sage Sausage, sliced apples, ham and gruyere cheese rolled up in a bacon weave. Got a bit over stuffed and I had to run to the store for butcher's twine! Looks aren't everything.

After this photo I finished them off under the broiler just for a bit to crisp up the bacon . Both were very tasty.

Nice job, man. Those look amazingly good! I keep meaning to try one myself but have never gotten around to it. Now I feel inspired to give it a whirl and see how it turns out.

• 5 months later...

Looks delicious. I hope you don't mind if I attempt to recreate this dish sometime over bourbon!

I love cooking new things.

Also amusing are all the Cannabis references in this thread. Maow. Really? XD

A year later and this title still cracks me up. Glad I didn't accidentally go and mature or anything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.