Seelbach... worth it?

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll be in Bardstown on a saturday afternoon, and have a free evening. Wondering if it would be worth the drive (some 45 minutes?) to drive to L'ville to have a pour (or two, three, etc.) in the Oak Room, Seelbach Hilton. Never been to L'ville and may not have the chance for a couple more years. And I'll already have spent the day in Bardstown. Of course we'll have a designated driver with us smile.gif

The Seelbach features prominently in alot of writing I've come across, and I'm trying to sift the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks!

Yes, Seelbach is worth it -- they have a terrific restaurant with several bourbon-based dishes.

But no visit to L'ville would be complete without going to D Marie's. Perched atop one of the city's tallest buildings, it has well over 100 different bourbons. It's the best bourbon bar in KY. Ask for the samplers, so you can taste several bourbons.

Cheers,

Omar

That sounds like good advice. Samplers are always a good way to go. Thanks!

Sounds like a cool place, the bourbon based dishes sound tempting! Let us know what you think Dave if you make it there...

But no visit to L'ville would be complete without going to D Marie's. Perched atop one of the city's tallest buildings

It's on top of the Galt House.

Dave,

If you go, ask about the secret exit that was supposedly built for Al Capone to make a quiet escape, if needed. The place has quite a history.

cool.gif

Visiting the Seelbach and the Galt House will also be a fascinating study in contrasts. The Seelbach is classically and tastefully decorated, and fastidiously maintained. The Galt House, on the other hand, is a comic book version of a grand hotel, the bad taste capital of the Ohio Valley. Enjoy.

I echo Chuck on the Seelbach. When I was there, sensing my interest in drink and its social history, the lady at the reception desk suggested I look at the former reception room on the second floor. This was, and is, a grand hall, still decorated in marble cladding and columns and (I swear) with the faint odour of sauerkraut in the air even though it isn't used much anymore. The room recalls the kind of ethnic reception room common in good hotels before the Second World War. The room is no longer used save for special functions, but strolling through one gets a sense of the communal activities held there in the old days, when community defined city life in North America. It is best to down, say, a Sazerac Rye 18 years old in the bourbon bar on the main floor and then wander upstairs with imagination and social antennae unleashed. The bourbon bar has been modernised, but with a little imagination it is not hard to summon the old days in there too ... when fans circulated non-conditioned air ... and men wore straw hats in summer .. and argued about the quality of whiskey..

Gary

OK so here's our plan. I've booked into the Galt House where we'll park and then wander up the hill to the Seelbach for late afternoon drinks in the Oak Room. Wander around a bit, enjoy the finery of the Hotel, perhaps partake of another bourbon sample. Then wander back to the Galt House and to D'Maries lounge where we'll sample our way through the 100 or so bourbons and stumble to our less expensive rooms amidst a pleasant bourbon fog.

toast.gif

I visited both the Seelbach and D'Marie's last Saturday.

We had the run of the Seelback Old Bar to ourselves and we'll definitely be back. I finally had a GT Stagg and believe it to be the best Bourbon that has ever passed over my lips. Also enjoyed VW 12yr. rye and L&G WR (for the ladies).

Chuck, you're right about the comic book atmosphere of the Galt House. After a great meal in the Flagship Restaurant, complete with revolving floor with squeaky wheels, I noticed the brass acoutrements on the ceiling: doorknobs. I suppose when the restaurant was built, they had a surplus of brass doorknobs, and now they dress up the ceiling. We counted 85 in our section alone.

D'Marie's lounge was fun, although the riverboat facade was a bit thick. Unfortunately the entire bar was occupied by a batchelorette party sipping on coors light which forced us to sit in the poorly lit back, not a great place. The bartender was overwhelmed but still managed to attend to our bourbon needs: VW 20yr and Elijah Craig 18yr.

While we stayed in the Galt House, I think next visit we'll spring for the extra expense and stay at the Hilton.

Many years ago, I was told that when the Galt House was built, the owner "decorated" by going to the furniture and furnishings markets, finding the best prices he could get on lots of sofas or whatever, and threw them all together. The result was so tacky as to be almost charming. Although I always got a kick out of it when I was forced to go there for some event, I generally stayed away when I had a choice.

'70s tacky is almost trendy. But the excessive use of caulking to hold everything together is off-putting. grin.gif

Dave,

Had to laugh,

But the excessive use of caulking to hold everything together is off-putting.

that layer of caulk has built up considerably over the years... lol.gif

The only time the poor old Galt House is the place to stay, is during Thunder Over Louisville. Then, she really rocks!

Bj

Don't worry Brenda, we created our own thunder blush.gif

Had a great time despite the furnishings! smile.gif

Dave

Ed,

Yepper, and being within stumbling distance of D'Maries helps ease the pain of that tacky wallpaper... lol.gif

Bj

Fact is, the Galt House is the only hotel in L'ville that is riverfront. Whereas, across from Cinn. there are lots of choices and the Courtyard by Marriott has great rooms with view. -- Greg

Greg,

I've entertained the idea of watching from the Indiana side.

There's just something about being able to feel the fireworks exploding that I just love.

We watched on the water, infront of the bridge a few years ago (there's a story to remind me of after we've been tasting Bourbon... falling.gif) and will never do it in a small boat again. A 40ft. Carver would work... wink.gif.

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.