Instead of going to "Oktoberfest", check this out ...

stiffchainey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nice article. It is not all true, I don't see local breweries closing down (we have 5 just around here), but I guess it is about the whole picture. The brewery he is talking about first, the "Päffgen", is highly recommended. It is really like in the old days.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/travel/20beer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

No problem. What is called "Micro-Breweries" in the U.S.A is much likely part of the local heritage here in Germany. The local beer around here is totally different to the ones made in the North or the South. Though it is true that some very old styles are somewhat rare, the movement is rising, which is good. From my local brewery I get up to five different sorts of beer, from Kölsch to 10% belgian-style trappist beer to Weizen to Bockbeer, all in a smalltown brewery.

If you ever visit Cologne, I can show you around.

No problem. What is called "Micro-Breweries" in the U.S.A is much likely part of the local heritage here in Germany. The local beer around here is totally different to the ones made in the North or the South. Though it is true that some very old styles are somewhat rare, the movement is rising, which is good. From my local brewery I get up to five different sorts of beer, from Kölsch to 10% belgian-style trappist beer to Weizen to Bockbeer, all in a smalltown brewery.

If you ever visit Cologne, I can show you around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.