Five Fathers Pure Rye Malt Whiskey

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

i want to try this. I know lots of folks will say too young, but I put some rye malt up in 53's damn stuff was mighty fine in a year. Rye ages faster we know, but rye malt even that much faster.

I'm curious as well, obviously. Only going to be available at heir gift shop apparently. Never been anyhow so that will be a good a time as any.

Kentucky law requires that any spirit sold in the gift shop must at least be available for sale to any other Kentucky retailer.

I've seen a prototype label and it's pretty cool.

Obviously, the proof will be in the tasting, but good for them.

I was just going by what they said on their fb page. No matter, I'll probably still seek it out to try.

Who were the five fathers?

It appears it is the five fathers of the Pogue family going back to when the distillery first began although they aren't named here. I presume this is a continuation of their Limetstone Landing white dog rye malt which it sounds like they distilled, unlike the bourbon. That white dog was released last year so can this new rye be very old? Seems unlikely but as those with more experience have noted rye malt might mature a bit quicker. Although it makes it sound like it will be a very limited release at least intially.

Thanks for the nice comments on the label. It is a one year old pure malted rye. As Tom says, it is young, but we were surprised at how quickly it matured in 53 gallon barrels. I won't say much about tasting notes as we prefer to let everyone give their own take, good, bad, or otherwise. At 110 proof it does have some spice to it for sure. The Five Fathers are our great great grandfather, H.E. Pogue I, the founder of the H.E. Pogue Distillery, then H.E. Pogue II, H.E. Pogue III, H.E. Pogue IV, and, just to be different, our father, John P. Pogue, Sr., who many of you may have met. The lower part of the label is taken from an old advertising poster from the late 1930s. It will be a limited offering with distribution in Kentucky to start, and is being released from the distillery next Wednesday, May 1. We will certainly have some at KBF in September as well. If I can navigate this I will post a picture of the bottle.

post-566-14489818926716_thumb.jpg

post-566-14489818926716_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments on the label. It is a one year old pure malted rye. As Tom says, it is young, but we were surprised at how quickly it matured in 53 gallon barrels. I won't say much about tasting notes as we prefer to let everyone give their own take, good, bad, or otherwise. At 110 proof it does have some spice to it for sure. The Five Fathers are our great great grandfather, H.E. Pogue I, the founder of the H.E. Pogue Distillery, then H.E. Pogue II, H.E. Pogue III, H.E. Pogue IV, and, just to be different, our father, John P. Pogue, Sr., who many of you may have met. The lower part of the label is taken from an old advertising poster from the late 1930s. It will be a limited offering with distribution in Kentucky to start, and is being released from the distillery next Wednesday, May 1. We will certainly have some at KBF in September as well. If I can navigate this I will post a picture of the bottle.

Old Potrero has put out some exceptional whiskeys that were rather young all-rye-malt products, so I will not be surprised at all if this stuff is much better at one year than you'd expect from whiskey.

If you've never had it, malted rye whiskey has a unique and very distinctive taste---a whole different thing from a traditional straight (unmalted) rye, and definitely worth trying.

Thanks for the information Peter, I like the Old Potrero style of pure malt rye whisky and I expect I will enjoy Five Fathers as well.

Hoping this will eventually make it to Texas. While I don't get as worked up as some about some of the questionable stories out there, it is really refreshing to see som real history as well! I think rye can be really good even when young and have never had a malted rye, really hoping to try some of this!

Was thinking about heading to the distillery to pick one up tomorrow, but looks like they're all booked/sold out. Next time or somewhere else.

Always feel free to send me a PM and we will get you in anytmie. That is one of the "perks" of being a SB.comer.

So membership does have its privileges! When do you guys do tours? Or by anytime do you mean...either way, thanks for the offer. Will probably take you up on that!

• 11 months later...

Saw this for the first time today. Didn't want to pull the trigger on it since it was $40 for a 375ml. Has anyone had this and have any thoughts?

That's from the Pogue's Limestone Landing distillery which has been discussed here from time to time. Would give you a reference but can't just now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.