BOTM 5/13: Wathen's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's more like Corona... which I like. But I also like Guiness, but I don't find finishing a Guiness a chore at all... but one hits the spot- thus, for me, a high mark in "satisfaction" (not much into pounding these days)

"This whiskey was personally selected by me. It is characterized by its lightness and dryness and has no peer among bourbon whiskies." -Charles W. Medley

Wathen's claims on the label to be "light". It is. It also claims to be "dry", but I don't think so -it's too sweet to be dry for my taste. ... ' course, 's'all subjective. :coffeedrinker:

Just a few comments: good, not great, worth a try. Not as good as it used to be. I still have a bottle from barrel 2 that will either be my last drink or a celebration of some sort, I have not decided which.

Sometimes the satisfaction of the sip is relative to the total experience, not just what meets the lips. A local restaurant that I frequent has a modest bar with a tender who knows how to pour. The establishment is Colby’s. Located in downtown Owensboro. The selection of drink is not grand but adequate. I am not 100% sure why but there is always a bottle of Wathen’s displayed in a prominent location. I suspect that Mr. Medley dined there frequently and because it was a “local†product, deserved respect. The bartender knows that I prefer Wathen’s over anything else in stock so a rocks glass usually makes it to my table before I do, just as it did last night. It was followed by a few more that were enjoyed through the finish of a wonderful plate of tilapia. Not wanting to end the night, my wife and I summoned a pedi-cab and toured downtown with a several stops to enjoy live music delivered curb side, ending with a full band performing live on the riverfront.

Wathen’s is not what I would classify as an exception bourbon but certainly good enough to enhance everyday life. Give it a sip.

"Certainly good enough to enhance everyday life" is precisely how I see Bourbon in the World of spirits.

Haha, for some reason, that reminds me of Frank Sinatra's quote about feeling sorry for people who don't drink. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What's the new BOTM? Ancient Ancient Age maybe? I will hopefully be getting my first bottle in a few weeks. How does the BOTM get decided? When is it usually posted?

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.