Highland Park 12 notes

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is my first taste of this one, and I'm not an expert at this, neither am I a total novice. This is what I get:

Ocean

Honey

Leather

Iodine

Band aids

and waaaaay at the end, smoky burned peat (which is also where the Band aids flavor seems to originate)

It's all very balanced and quite interesting. Not a peat monster at all. Absolutely nothing like bourbon or rye.

I really like HP 12. This might become a staple :)

Absolutely nothing like bourbon or rye.

I find that I can only enjoy a scotch if I throw the idea out of my mind that it should taste like american whiskey. Like when I drink beer, I'm not trying to compare it to whiskey. Same with scotch. No comparison to bourbon.

I find that I can only enjoy a scotch if I throw the idea out of my mind that it should taste like american whiskey. Like when I drink beer, I'm not trying to compare it to whiskey. Same with scotch. No comparison to bourbon.

I think this is why so many bourbon drinkers hate scotch. They have a preconception that all whiskey should taste like what they have always had, because it always has, then when they taste the old world stuff it freaks them out.

I started the other way around, scotch and Irish whisky first, then American whiskey later. It worked out better for me that way.

Ocean

Honey

Leather

Iodine

Band aids

and waaaaay at the end, smoky burned peat (which is also where the Band aids flavor seems to originate)

I feel like this would make for a good prompt for a creative writing assignment for your class. Nice notes, like your succinct style.

I'm glad to see you enjoyed the HP12 and it is a great SMS to get your feet wet on,great profile and the pricing is quite accessible for most.The HP12 is one that I always have around and all that try it always seem to enjoy,welcome to the Darkside.:grin:

Good notes, Alden, I think of earthy, medicinal minerality with the HP12, very complex. The 15 is a little smoother, sweeter and less complex, but still minerals and Band Aids.

Hey, is someone talking about me? I'm here to defend myself! What kind of thread would this be if "HP12" didn't chime in? :grin:

Alden, you hit on many of the flavor notes that make up the "darkside" albeit the lighter side of the phenolic spectrum. It's a very good Scotch along with a respectable and affordable price point.

Having a bottle of HP12 in the cabinet is definitely a staple in mine.

Hey, is someone talking about me? I'm here to defend myself! What kind of thread would this be if "HP12" didn't chime in? :grin:

Alden, you hit on many of the flavor notes that make up the "darkside" albeit the lighter side of the phenolic spectrum. It's a very good Scotch along with a respectable and affordable price point.

Having a bottle of HP12 in the cabinet is definitely a staple in mine.

Yes, your name did come up. A few times. :lol:

I have never gotten even a whiff of peat (the band aids, iodine..stuff) in HP12. But then again I also like the really heavily peated stuff like Laphroaig and Ardbeg..

I immediately notice peat in Highland Park which just shows how tastes differ.

I immediately notice peat in Highland Park which just shows how tastes differ.

Same here - it sure seems more than 2PPM to me as well.

Yes, to me the peat is strong, but not overly. It's balanced out nicely by the sweetness of the malt.

I may get a bottle of Laphroig 10 sometime soon, just for comparison. I have not had any of that for many years now.

Weller, Highland Park is 20% peated and 80% unpeated, the smoke is there, but not as strongly as in the 18. If you're interested in Highland Park, we did a behind the scenes of Highland Park piece and video from a recent visit. It's an amazing distillery and one of my favorite SMS's.

Weller, Highland Park is 20% peated and 80% unpeated, the smoke is there, but not as strongly as in the 18. If you're interested in Highland Park, we did a behind the scenes of Highland Park piece and video from a recent visit. It's an amazing distillery and one of my favorite SMS's.

Great video! Jeff has a really happy friendly delivery that makes this fun to watch.

I just made the decision to "invest" in a bottle of the 18.

I guess this video was the clincher for me.

I likely did not make myself clear..I KNOW there is peat there it is just that I have a high peat tolerance so it seems low to me. I love HP..one of the best I have ever had was a cask strength 16 year old they bottled exclusively for a Texas liquor store. I supposedly bought the last two bottles in Houston. Just amazing stuff.. Very good video!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.