Itinerary suggestions?

Jackinbox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi everyone! Newbie here from Indianapolis. I'm pretty new when it comes to Bourbon but have tasted quite a bit over the last month (mostly lower-shelf). The wife and I have a couple of free days coming up around May 30th or so and want to hit as much of the Bourbon Trail that we can.

Here's how I've kind of divided it out, but I'm open to anyone's suggestions.

Day 1

Home to Jim Beam (2 hours 31 minutes). Arrive at Jim Beam when they open.

Jim Beam to Heaven Hill (26 minutes)

Heaven Hill to Maker's Mark (28 minutes)

Dinner at Kurt'z

*not sure where we would stay overnight yet.

Day 2

Hotel to Four Roses

Four Roses to Wild Turkey (15 minutes)

Wild Turkey to Buffalo Trace (29 minutes)

Buffalo Trace to Home (2 hours, 53 minutes)

A friend has suggested starting the 2nd day at BT, so I may switch that around. I just figured I would do it last since it's the closest to home. I'd like to fit Woodford Reserve in, but I just don't think we will have the time. Has anyone ever attempted to do more than 3 in a single day?

I'm also open to the idea of starting Day 1 on the Eastern portion and doing the West on Day 2.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Jackinbox

If you want to do the Hard Hat tour at BT you need reservations.

Most tours are an hour or so so getting more than 3 in per day is difficult to do. Most end tours at 3 PM so you'd be super rushed if you tried to do it.

If you want to do the Hard Hat tour at BT you need reservations.

You can get the hard hat in the morning now. We did BT hard Hat then Four Roses VIP (by joining Mellow Moments Club) then WT

I have twice done in two days:

Day one: Beam, Heaven Hill, Barton, Makers.

Day Two: Four Roses, Turkey, Woodford, Buffalo Trace

They're pretty packed days, but that's probably the most efficient order to hit all distilleries, with the possibility of flipping Barton and Heaven Hill.

However, you may also consider skipping a distillery and seeing on of the Cooperages (weekdays only I think) or the Getz Museum to add a little variety.

Most importantly, relax and have fun!

Most importantly, relax and have fun!

I have to echo that quote. I'm lucky enough to live in Louisville so have visited the majority of those over months not days. As much as i love the art/science of it all, after a couple of stops you come to appreciate your favorites. If you have brands you prefer...set those as anchors in your planning and go from there. Otherwise it's just a blur of equipment/walking/driving/buildings.

Three per day for 2 days is a lot to cram in especially if you are driving. One option would be to work with Mint Julep tours. They have access to the Brown Forman Cooperage which is amazing and close to Louisville. For your hotel, you should look at staying in Lexington. There are a number of options there and it's not bad to get there to WT, FR and BT.

I share the opinion that more than 3 per day is probably too much. Allow yourself some time to enjoy the tours, otherwise you'll find yourself watching the clock trying to make it to the next distillery on time. Being in Indiana offers us the luxury of being able to take a fairly short drive down to Heaven On Earth for a day, so kick back and enjoy it!

I agree as you're going to want to spend some time in the gift shops as well. And speaking of which join their clubs now as some give you a discount in their gift shop.

OK, thanks for everyone's suggestions. We'll keep it to no more than three per day. We got reservations on the Hard Hat Tour at BT at 10:30 a.m. The wife would really like to see WT, just because her father always drank it when she was growing up. So that leaves either Woodford or Four Roses to choose from in that last slot. I just got my Mellow Moments card in the mail from FR, so I'm leaning towards that. Although I hear the scenery is beautiful at Woodford. Decisions, decisions!

OK, thanks for everyone's suggestions. We'll keep it to no more than three per day. We got reservations on the Hard Hat Tour at BT at 10:30 a.m. The wife would really like to see WT, just because her father always drank it when she was growing up. So that leaves either Woodford or Four Roses to choose from in that last slot. I just got my Mellow Moments card in the mail from FR, so I'm leaning towards that. Although I hear the scenery is beautiful at Woodford. Decisions, decisions!

Are there any particular gift shops that are better than the others?

Four Roses, Heaven Hill, and Willett all sell unique bottles in their gift shops that can't be had elsewhere.

Four Roses, Heaven Hill, and Willett all sell unique bottles in their gift shops that can't be had elsewhere.

Hmmm... that's interesting. Do the gift shops tend to be more expensive than other outlets?

Much like JIB, I am also planning to visit some distilleries at the end of the month (5/31)...but just two, BT and WR. I am stopping in Frankfort for other reasons. I like BT brands and WR is of interest because of the area but FR, Willett or HH might be of interest.

Four Roses' prices are reasonable. Heaven Hill's are high. Willett's vary.

BT will have some regular bottles in their gift shop, nothing more. I'd definitely recommend FR over Woodford, and it's also fairly close to Frankfort. Willett and HH are much further away.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm already thinking about my next trip down there, although it will be several months. I'm hoping for the fall.

Places I'm considering:

Woodford Reserve

Old Taylor/Old Crow ruins

Willett

Tom Moore

Four Roses Cox's Creek

Eric's Liquor Store in Elizabethtown

Getz Museum

Anything else I should try to visit?

I'm already thinking about my next trip down there, although it will be several months. I'm hoping for the fall.

Places I'm considering:

Woodford Reserve

Willett

Tom Moore

Four Roses Cox's Creek

Getz Museum

Make it during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival and visit the gazebo.

Now THAT'S a suggestion you should seriously consider.

Places I'm considering:

Woodford Reserve

Willett

Tom Moore

Four Roses Cox's Creek

Getz Museum

It's a mesmerizing part of the country once you've visited!

Gazebo aside, visiting during the festival usually means some new releases (not the cool new special releases, for some random reason they hold those back another month), master distiller appearances (JT's Liquor Store in Bardstown and others have bottle signings) and the respective distilleries have "tidied" up the properties and put best foot forward. Slightly larger crowds, but a small price to pay.

Places I'm considering:

Woodford Reserve

Willett

Tom Moore

Four Roses Cox's Creek

Getz Museum

• 3 weeks later...

I think Buffalo Trace is a really cool distillery. Try and get Freddie Johnson to take you through the place. He's a fantastic story teller and all around nice guy.

I'd throw in a second for Eric's store after just recently being there.

Super nice guy, and great product lineup. Plus some tasty single barrel picks coming in.....

B

I'd throw in a second for Eric's store after just recently being there.

Super nice guy, and great product lineup. Plus some tasty single barrel picks coming in.....

B

Yes, I'm definitely going there on my next run down there in a few months. I hope he still has some OWA by then as it's running dry up here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.