Louisville Bound

BFerguson
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So around mid june I'm heading down to Louisville for a work conference for a couple of days. Staying at The Brown, and will have a car for travel.

My short list list so far.

Hot Brown at the Brown-duh!

Seelbach-Rathskeller rye-need I say more?

Proof on main

Ale-8-because sometimes you need a mixer with your beverage.

610-Magnolia-Food sounds awesome.

Binny's-becuase it's one the way there!

Looking for more food suggestions, and any decent liquor stores to visit.

Thanks guys!!

B

The Spring Meet will still be in season, you need to hit the Downs, if thats all you can do.....do it. Take a cab, your life will be easier.

Have lunch at the Belvedere on the River Front. Maybe grab a burger at Ollies Trolly on the corner of 3rd and Kentucky

How far you looking to drive?

If you're just staying in Louisville, Liquor Barn and Westport Wine and Whiskey.

Food; All depends on what you like?

June is a great time to be in Louisville! The weather should be warm and sunny, any later and it will probably be unbearably hot and humid.

Food & drink:

Hammerhead's and Game are local favorites that serve great dishes albeit a little meat-centric. Getting a table can be difficult sometimes so go early. Seviche and Asiatique are both very good if you want something different, plus they both have an excellent bar service if you enjoy cocktails. If you're looking for a quick bite, Papalino's has fantastic pizza by the slice with all in-house cured meats (duck prosciutto, lenguesa, lamb bacon, quail, elk sausage, etc) and the toppings rotate daily. I'd you want a nice, classy dinner you can always do Jack Fry's or maybe Bourbon's Bistro. Silver Dollar is a good bar with a honky-tonk vibe, excellent selection of bourbon and mezcal. If you like neighborhood dive bars you can't go wrong with Nachbar. Want to switch it up and have a beer? Check out Holy Grale or Against The Grain.

Liquor Stores:

Any Liquor Barn or Party Mart/Center in the east end will be pretty solid. Westport Whiskey & Wine is another decent spot, more focused on craft spirits than others, but they usually have very good single barrel selections.

Things to do:

Check the Leo Weekly website for happenings. There's always free concerts on the great lawn at Waterfront Park every Wednesday. Bats (our baseball team) games are fun, there isn't a bad seat in the stadium. Against The Grain which I mentioned before is located at the ballpark.

Your itinerary already sounds pretty darn good, just wanted to offer a few other suggestions.

So around mid june I'm heading down to Louisville for a work conference for a couple of days.

We'll be in L'Ville June 19-23.

You should have dinner and drinks at Bourbon's Bistro.

Bourbons bistro has some amazing bourbons and very generous pours. Lots of Willet single barrels and a number of PHC variations. Not to mention some very old (as in bottled date) bourbons if you want to splurge.

Churchill downs is a great spot for an afternoon.

Almost forgot to comment - you mentioned 610 Magnolia. Chef Edward Lee did a "collaboration blend" with Jefferson's. Not sure when the rollout is but it's supposedly a very limited blend of extra aged stocks. I knew the specifics at one point but it escapes me now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I've eaten at 610 Magnolia. Didn't have any special collaboration blend while I was there (had some Jefferson 18 which I found way overoaked and forgettable) but the meal itself was terrific. Great restaurant.

Edited by Parkersback

We'll be in L'Ville June 19-23.

You should have dinner and drinks at Bourbon's Bistro.

How far you looking to drive?

If you're just staying in Louisville, Liquor Barn and Westport Wine and Whiskey.

Food; All depends on what you like?

Food, game for anything, low brow to high, it all is fine.

As for the driving, within reason, 1hr+ would be nice, since most of my daytime hours will be taken up.

Downs is already schedule, the group that I'm with with be going out there for a afternoon, should be a blast!!

Appreciate all the suggestions so far, the only bad thing will be trying to squeeze in everything that I want to do, with the time limits that I have.

B

i second havana rumba for cuban

mojitos for a nice tapas restaurant, get the pork tacos!

impellizeris or wicks for awesome pizza

im not overly impressed by the recommendations for bourbons bistro, go just down the street to Varanese for better food, nicer place, and cheaper

for a cheap night of drinks, try the back door bar on bardstown road. their shots are cheap and actually about 3-4 shots realistically. went last week and got a "shot" that was probably actually 3 shots worth, of booker's, for $7. great bar food too!

There is also the Mohammad Ali museum and the Louisville slugger museum

Edited by p_elliott

Not quite what you initially requested info on, but have you considered a 20min drive out to Jim Beam?

Not quite what you initially requested info on, but have you considered a 20min drive out to Jim Beam?

How fast do you drive man?!? 30 min on a good day.

How fast do you drive man?!? 30 min on a good day.

It's been a few years (2008 to be exact), so my memory is a bit foggy. Call it 40 min to allow for traffic? :D

Yes, I'm drying to get a distillery trip in, but with getting in late, most likely, Wednesday night, and booking out Sunday, and in conference for two and a half days in between, I know there is not much time for longer side trips.

Besides, the thrill to hunt and eat in a new town is powerful!

So little time, so much to do.......

B

Besides, the thrill to hunt and eat in a new town is powerful!

The likelihood of finding a dusty in Louisville is almost nil what you will find are a lot of BIBs you can't get in Min.

The likelihood of finding a dusty in Louisville is almost nil what you will find are a lot of BIBs you can't get in Min.

Yep, no high hopes for dusty finding, but the hope of everything else is high!

I look at it as every new store, is a world of possibility.

B

Yes, after years of prowling the isles of liquor stores I still find them a wonder.

Yep, no high hopes for dusty finding, but the hope of everything else is high!

I look at it as every new store, is a world of possibility.

B

Will agree on that. Sure there's stores with more selection outside this area...but generally every time i return home from travel and wander into even large format stores i smile and think "I've never seen THAT before". Loads of folks around here with the passion, which means more and more stores taking risks.

• 1 month later...

I second Bourbon's Bistro. Silver Dollar on Bardstown is also a good spot. I've heard good things about a spot called Meat. Haymarket Whiskeybar has a good selection, but a different atmosphere.

Have Fun.

In wandering around town, I also stumbled into Morris' Deli.

A nice little combo of a liquor store, and wicked good sandwich shop. I knew I was in good hands by the sweet smokey aroma of cured ham hanging heavy in the air. Had a simple country ham and cheddar on white bread sandwich, along with some Ale-8, and thought nothing could be better.

Great little place to stop in at.

B

In wandering around town, I also stumbled into Morris' Deli.

A nice little combo of a liquor store, and wicked good sandwich shop. I knew I was in good hands by the sweet smokey aroma of cured ham hanging heavy in the air. Had a simple country ham and cheddar on white bread sandwich, along with some Ale-8, and thought nothing could be better.

Great little place to stop in at.

B

My absolute, hands-down, all-time favorite place to get lunch. I get smoked turkey, a slice of country ham, colby on pumpernickel. Sometimes a ginger ale, sometimes a beer. The soup is usually good, too. I grew up around there. Us natives still call it Karem Deeb's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.